Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dealer tried to screw me!

Allright, here's my situation. I was watching TV this afternoon when the local Nissan dealer aired a new commercial. It went like this (I'm paraphrasing here, but close enough) "You asked for it, you got it! We're selling EVERY new Nissan at only $39 over invoice! THAT'S RIGHT!!! Only (in an echoing reverb effect) THIRTY-NINE DOLLARS!!! Including the all new TITAN (insert throaty V-8 rumble sound effect) and the super sexy 350Z (insert import race car approaching redline sound effect.)

I checked ot Nissanusa.com to have a peek at their inventory. They had a LE CC 4x4 that was specd out close enough to what I wanted, so I gave them a call. I asked for the sales manager. I told him I had been doing some pretty extensive research on the Titan, and was ready to buy when the right price came along. He put me on hold, sayig he was going to pull up the info on the model I was inquiring about, and returned to the phone shortly. MSRP off the website was 36,510. "Dealer invoice" was quoted as 35,760. I told him that Edmunds and KBB.com had invoice listed at significantly lower than the price I was quoted. I was of course informed that "websites can't POSSIBLY give an accurate quote of dealer invoice," and that "I should check out the other local Nissan dealer, they are marking them at 3,500 OVER MSRP," which they are.

I thanked the sales manager for his time, and told him that it looked like I was going to have to go out of state if I wanted to get a fair deal on a Titan. He countered with "Allright man, you sure know how to drive a hard bargain. Just for you, I'll sell AT invoice, just to get some of these trucks out on the street and spread the word around. I'd be making NO MONEY on this deal bro, you're not gonna do better than that! I told him I was aware of how holdback worked and that it's just plain bad business to sell something and not make a profit. I then said that I did not appreciate his high pressure tactics or his dishonesty, and that I would not be patronizing his dealership again. As I reached to hang up the phone, I heard the managers final words, "Hey buddy, if you won't pay it, someone else sure as hell will."

Needless to say, I was astounded! I really have my doubts that I was actually dealing with a sales manager, and not a regular old salesman, but who knows. I know all the regular bad dealer rules apply, don't set foot on the lot, tell all my friends, etc. My question for you all is this. What do I ask to see to find out the TRUE dealer invoice? Or is this a super secret form that I am not allowed to see?

·
Registered
99 Posts
NVDrifter,
KBB.com has the true invoice of the trucks. I went to order mine from a local dealer and after he priced it when ordered, the invoice price he had on his screen was the same as I had on my printout from KBB. Don't let them fool you. Are you in the Vegas area? I've not had such good luck around here with the dealers. I actually ordered mine from a dealer in MT. (long story). I got a better price there with no games. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I'm up here in Reno. It seems that winter is when dealers really get tight on pricing, with the snow and all. I might drive over the hill into CA, but most of the dealers there sell 2x4s only

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
enos said:
NVDrifter,
KBB.com has the true invoice of the trucks. I went to order mine from a local dealer and after he priced it when ordered, the invoice price he had on his screen was the same as I had on my printout from KBB. Don't let them fool you. Are you in the Vegas area? I've not had such good luck around here with the dealers. I actually ordered mine from a dealer in MT. (long story). I got a better price there with no games. Good luck.
enos...
HI....Glad to here you used the KBB.COM info I told you about. And that you finely ordered a TITAN! I was wondering what you were going to do. I see that you did finely go out of state for your truck. I figured you would with all the hassles with those Dealers in your state! Good luck with your Truck!! Deepwater :cheers:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Deepwater,
Yeah, I finally ordered one from outta state because the dealers here were playing games. The guys here actually went from $500 under MSRP to $2,820 under MSRP in a matter of days after I told them I was getting one somewhere else. I found a tax loophole that still gets me a better deal outta state even though the price is more there. It should be here exactly as a wanted it in mid April. Thanks for the advice and keep the good info coming guys (and girls)!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nevadadrifter said:
Allright, here's my situation. I was watching TV this afternoon when the local Nissan dealer aired a new commercial. It went like this (I'm paraphrasing here, but close enough) "You asked for it, you got it! We're selling EVERY new Nissan at only $39 over invoice! THAT'S RIGHT!!! Only (in an echoing reverb effect) THIRTY-NINE DOLLARS!!! Including the all new TITAN (insert throaty V-8 rumble sound effect) and the super sexy 350Z (insert import race car approaching redline sound effect.)

I checked ot Nissanusa.com to have a peek at their inventory. They had a LE CC 4x4 that was specd out close enough to what I wanted, so I gave them a call. I asked for the sales manager. I told him I had been doing some pretty extensive research on the Titan, and was ready to buy when the right price came along. He put me on hold, sayig he was going to pull up the info on the model I was inquiring about, and returned to the phone shortly. MSRP off the website was 36,510. "Dealer invoice" was quoted as 35,760. I told him that Edmunds and KBB.com had invoice listed at significantly lower than the price I was quoted. I was of course informed that "websites can't POSSIBLY give an accurate quote of dealer invoice," and that "I should check out the other local Nissan dealer, they are marking them at 3,500 OVER MSRP," which they are.

I thanked the sales manager for his time, and told him that it looked like I was going to have to go out of state if I wanted to get a fair deal on a Titan. He countered with "Allright man, you sure know how to drive a hard bargain. Just for you, I'll sell AT invoice, just to get some of these trucks out on the street and spread the word around. I'd be making NO MONEY on this deal bro, you're not gonna do better than that! I told him I was aware of how holdback worked and that it's just plain bad business to sell something and not make a profit. I then said that I did not appreciate his high pressure tactics or his dishonesty, and that I would not be patronizing his dealership again. As I reached to hang up the phone, I heard the managers final words, "Hey buddy, if you won't pay it, someone else sure as hell will."

Needless to say, I was astounded! I really have my doubts that I was actually dealing with a sales manager, and not a regular old salesman, but who knows. I know all the regular bad dealer rules apply, don't set foot on the lot, tell all my friends, etc. My question for you all is this. What do I ask to see to find out the TRUE dealer invoice? Or is this a super secret form that I am not allowed to see?
Edmunds.com, cardirect.com, etc., all give the correct dealer invoice prices. Holdback on foreign vehicles is typically 2%. Sometimes there are factory to dealer incentives that you/we would never know about. The only way to know is to see the actual dealer invoice. A dealer has no obligation to show you, but you can ask. However, most of the time if you get the invoice prices online and take off another 2% for foreign or 3% for american holdback, your in the ballpark. But I gotta believe that with invoice prices so easy to find, more and more under the table factory to dealer incentives will take place. I consider 3-5% above dealer actual cost to be a reasonable profit.

quick calculation:

Dealer's Total Cost Of Vehicle (Not Including Destination Charge) =Total Invoice - Holdback - Factory To Dealer Incentives - Floorplan Interest

Take 3% - 5% of that to get fair dealer profit

add destination and subtract any consumer rebates = your cost

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
enos said:
Deepwater,
Yeah, I finally ordered one from outta state because the dealers here were playing games. The guys here actually went from $500 under MSRP to $2,820 under MSRP in a matter of days after I told them I was getting one somewhere else. I found a tax loophole that still gets me a better deal outta state even though the price is more there. It should be here exactly as a wanted it in mid April. Thanks for the advice and keep the good info coming guys (and girls)!
Did you order an Se or Le? what color? I'm glad everything work out for ya! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Nevada,

This sounds just about right for a case of false advertising. I would call that guy back tommorow and have him send you the 'invoice quote' via fax for you to 'look it over'. Then I would record thier ad off the radio.

Then I would pull the invoice price from every website I could find....take all that in with you to the GM or SM of the dealership...See what they say then. The words 'Better Business Bureau' should come out somewhere in that conversation.....

Just a thought..I know it sounds 'rough'. But there is one thing I can't stand is a liar.

Chris

Nevadadrifter said:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Deepwater said:
Did you order an Se or Le? what color? I'm glad everything work out for ya! :cheers:

Deepwater,
I ordered an LE CC 4x4 Red Brawn w/Big Tow, Off-Road, Side air bags, sliding bed extender, splashguards. I debated the Smoke, but the wife wanted Red Brawn, so I went with that although I was hoping it was more "red" instead of marron. But I like it too. I'm waiting patiently until April because I wouldn't be able to drive it anyway cause of tax season. So that's my motivation for working 60/hrs a week now. Have a good one!

·
Registered
7 Posts
They probably have some fast "lawyer talk" at the end of it to cover there but. I went to a dealer that an ad in the paper for XE Titans at $21888. I called to see if they still had the truck, yes. I go to look at it, the price is $25600 or something. They have added tube steps, bed liner, pinstriping and "special paint protection" stuff that "only we do here" and other stuff. Then they offered me $4000 under BB on my trade. I said "Give me my keys!" and walked out. I later looked at ad again again, they have fine print at the bottom that totally cancels the add, "does not include dealer installed blah blah"
Another dealer came off sticker $2000, gave me good trade in and had me approved. When it came time to sign, they tried sneaking a $2000 "service contract" on the end of the deal. I walked on that one too. I really like the Titan, i wish I had waited a year to get a new truck, but I'll have to wait a few years. I HATE DEALERS!! At least I can say I'm getting better milage than most of you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nevadadrifter said:

Yes this dealer definately tried to screw you........Msrp was 35, 610 on my LE CC 4X4 and I paid invoice 32, 240. Sounds like you encounter on slimy dealer!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I concur, they were trying to pull a fast one. MSRP is about $3,000 over invoice, give or take. I just ordered an SE 2WD, Big Tow, Utility Bed Pkg, Popular Pkg with captain's chairs, splash & mats for $700 over invoice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
dealer cost on accessories

Does anyone know of a site or have information on dealer cost for Nissan Titan oem accessories. I would love to have the cost prices to use in bargaining for factory accessories.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I used to be a field manager for FoMoCo and can speak to some pricing. This guy was definately full of it. When I left the industry in 2000 the general rule was that vehicles had about 11% margin between invoice and MSRP. So if you add 11% of invoice you should be in the ballpark. Of course this can vary from one manufacturer to another. Also holdback can vary as well. Some makers have it and some don't. Some dealers will go into holdback but most won't. I would imagine that with the info. available today on invoices etc. they are holding on to holdback even tighter. I know that the Ford corporate website lets you build and price a vehicle and even list invoice! You don't even have to go to KBB or Edmunds.

Of course it's been 4 years and with the internet changing the dynamics of the industry I'm sure the dealers and manufacturers are coming up with ways to counteract these trends. I'm sure the manufacturers could just raise the invoice price thereby building in more profit for the dealer who is challenged on invoice.

Sadly at the the end of the day it's all smoke and mirrors.....

Although I must admit, I don't know of any other industry where the customer knows what the seller paid and decides what the seller should make.

I mean nobody buys a T.V. or computer and offers 2 or 3% over the invoice. I bet the markup on most stuff we buy is astronomical compared to cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LanceK said:
Sadly at the the end of the day it's all smoke and mirrors.....

Although I must admit, I don't know of any other industry where the customer knows what the seller paid and decides what the seller should make.

I mean nobody buys a T.V. or computer and offers 2 or 3% over the invoice. I bet the markup on most stuff we buy is astronomical compared to cars.
That's true enough. But, the auto industry came up with this game, and now it coming around to bite them. One thing about buying a car that's different from buying a TV or something is that the price is the price. Anyone can go to Best Buy see the price on the shelf and know that's what you will pay. If the auto makers really wanted to change the game, all they'd have to do is have the manufacturer set the price, no haggling. Somehow, I doubt the dealers would go for it.

And, as far as the markup goes, we are just talking about the final markup from the dealer, not whatever markup the manufacturer has build in for itself in that invoice price.

·
Registered
104 Posts
invoice price

when I bought mine in January the dealer brought out the invoice and suggested that $1,000 was a fair profit. The invoice matched what I had from Edmunds. After negotiations, with tax tag and title I ended up paying about the MSRP for the truck and picked up a low finance rate (4.5%) too.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
does anyone know what it cost nissan to make the truck? How much profit are they making?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dealer Holdback

The Edmunds site will show the dealer holdback, you just have to hunt around some. It is on a different page (I forget where I found it exactly) than the price with options page.

·
Registered
232 Posts
We know dealer invoice
We can guessestimate dealer "cost"
Don't know what manufacturing cost is.

Don't know why anyone would/should care, unless you want to see if you can build one yourself from scratch :jester:

Bmaez said:
does anyone know what it cost nissan to make the truck? How much profit are they making?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts