Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought some wind/rain guard vent visors that go in the window channel and I wanted to check with you guys before installing them since they came with no instructions.

I've only ever had the type that is taped to the actual vehicle exterior and I was wondering how the in channel ones work?

I've looked up install instructions and youtube video and it all seems pretty straight forward.

but....does the lip of these actually just go inside of the area the window goes into? Or is the a different external slit that these go into? I've seen a couple of different videos and one showed the installer using tools to pry open the rubber on the outside and it was completely separate from the actual window seam. The other videos show the installer just un-taping the adhesive and just pressing it into the window area.

What's the right way to do it?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I've always just installed them into the window channel itself. The key thing to remember is to get them installed and leave the windows up for a few days so they "set" into place and don't then interfere with your power window function. It's helpful, as well, to peel back and fold over the first 3-5" of covering from the tape on both ends, position the thing in the window channel and get it right (with the window down) and then slip the tape cover off by pulling it along the channel from either or both ends. Pull gently and don't get in a hurry and it will all come out nicely. Then close the window and you're done.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Good advice above, especially about leaving your windows shut for a few days. I didn't do that once, and every time I tried to roll up my window it would get stuck on the bottom of the visor. I'd have to poke the visor outwards with my finger, while rolling up the window with my other hand. Kind of a pita.

It's really easy though. Just be sure to clean the surface where the guards will stick to the window. Using a small alcohol swab or pad is perfect. Also recommend doing it on a 50-60+ degree day, otherwise it won't adhere very well.

After a year, all four of mine are going strong, as well as my bug deflector on the hood.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've only done in-channels once, they were ones from weathertech. Did everything correctly as stated above, then one warm summer day while going down the interstate, apparently the back windows ones flew off, didn't realize it until I got home and noticed they were no longer there. I'll stick to the ones that go on the outside as I've never lost one of those.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I've had just the opposite experience, Indy - I lost one of the external stick-ons from the back of an F250 I had, and my brother lost a pair of them off his crew cab Colorado. But everybody has their own experiences. The good news is, we can both choose our favorite flavor and it's all good!

Reactions: Indy

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I've had just the opposite experience, Indy - I lost one of the external stick-ons from the back of an F250 I had, and my brother lost a pair of them off his crew cab Colorado. But everybody has their own experiences. The good news is, we can both choose our favorite flavor and it's all good!
Same here. I prefer the in-channels. I like a clean/sleek and uniform look.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna give it a go after work. Seems easy enough.

I just can't see how the window can share its slot with the vent visor. I always thought that the windows were really tight in there. How does the window not clash and hit the visor every time you roll the window up?

We'll figure it out!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The little felt lining has some "play" in it so it seals despite tolerances and so it doesn't chip the glass. The thickness of the vent shade isn't enough to cause problems, unless you don't let them sit closed for a while to "set" to the new combination.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was going to ask about that too. The window usually slides up into the felt lined channel....how would the window guard stick to the felt? I'm not sure 3m double sided tape is that moldable.

we're still talking about the actual area the window rolls into right?

not the weather stripping that lines/surrounds the window opening?

·
Registered
395 Posts
So did you get them in?

I use a blow dryer/heat gun to warm the window channel and adhesive tape. It promotes better adhesion, haven't lost one yet.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the two rears in but then it started to rain! haha

The 3m tape wasn't very sticky though and I can now see why you heated the channel.

I have thicker heavier duty tape that I might use if these don't stay on. The windows have been up for 2 days now so we'll see if it works the right way.

It definitely changes the look of the truck though. I'll post pics when it's done!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Yeah, definitely grab some stronger double sided tape for the rears. I also had the problem where the rear window would catch the front edge of the plastic and you had to poke it out to roll the window up. Caught a couple of hands in there using that process....possibly on purpose.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I got the two rears in but then it started to rain! haha

The 3m tape wasn't very sticky though and I can now see why you heated the channel.

I have thicker heavier duty tape that I might use if these don't stay on. The windows have been up for 2 days now so we'll see if it works the right way.

It definitely changes the look of the truck though. I'll post pics when it's done!
I've used in channel AVS, they have 3M tape and stick real well, on my Titan, Frontier and 2 Explorers and the stick on ones on my wife's CRV (couldn't find a channel fit for that). I have heated the tape/window on all occasions and never had one come off. My wife's have been on for over 7 years.
I see the stick on ones at the shop and they do come loose. I can't say for sure but I'd bet they didn't use heat to aid with adhesion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts