Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody i had a question. i just bought a 2008 yamaha rhino and was planning on hauling it in the bed of my truck (a 2004 king cab titan). i pulled it in the bed and it fits fine but im worried about the rear wheels of the rhino sitting on the tailgate. the rhino weighs 1200lbs and it just seemed like it might damage it plus i couldent fit my finger between the bumper and tailgate which i could do before i loaded the rhino. will hauling it like this break or damage my tail gate? and does anyone know what the weight limit is on the tail gate. i heard it was 200lbs but i would expect it to be higher.
anyways thanks in advanced for any help

·
Registered
201 Posts
i would think you'd be fine, but i'm no expert. Ask your dealer maybe?

I would just put the bike in but have the front two wheels pointed skywards (turn off the gas). That's how people transport their atv's around here.

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
I've got an 05 Rhino, but have never hauled it in a bed. I have a ten foot landscaping trailer with a four foot fold down ramp. Well worth the investment for the ease of use.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I would get 2 2x12's and cut them to length and park your Rhino on top of the 2x12's..

By the way, my Rhino fits in my crew cab as well, but I wouldn't take it far in my truck.. U-Haul rents trailers..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Derwud said:
I would get 2 2x12's and cut them to length and park your Rhino on top of the 2x12's..

By the way, my Rhino fits in my crew cab as well, but I wouldn't take it far in my truck.. U-Haul rents trailers..
thats a good idea. but why not the distance, is the tailgate that weak? does anyone know what the tailgate can hold?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Nissan rates the tailgate at 200#, so get the 2x12s for it to sit on.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
justrich said:
thats a good idea. but why not the distance, is the tailgate that weak? does anyone know what the tailgate can hold?
Just like you, I loaded my Rhino, and saw how much closer the tailgate was to the bumper and said NO.. One dip or bump in the road and I would have a bumper style crease in my tailgate, and possibly a Rhino rolling out of my truck! Not worth the chance..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i found a guy on the rhino forums that built a hitch mount that replaces the tailgate with a steel platform. you have to take the tailgate off but it looks like the safest method. im trying to find out if he would make one for my truck. untill then its going to be 2x12 unless the tail gate still drops with those i wont take the chance.

·
Registered
334 Posts
A friend of mine put a rhino in the bed, and it ruined the bed, bent it downward. Maybe the 2x12 thing would help??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tre5 said:
A friend of mine put a rhino in the bed, and it ruined the bed, bent it downward. Maybe the 2x12 thing would help??
really how? i thought the bed payload was 1250lbs which should handle it. am i wrong?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A friend hauls his in a KC but after he loads it in the truck, he jacks up the rear of the Rhino and sets two blocks under just on the bed of the truck. Tailgate has little or no weight. Tie down straps on and away he goes. He has hauled this way for a long time. I have not noticed any bed or tailgate damage. I haul a Honda 450ES 4x4 on my CC short bed but the rear wheels sit on the crack of the tailgate and the bed. Very little weight on the tailgate. You probably could think of a few more ways to get the weight off the tailgate and still be safe. I also have a 10 ft ramped trailer I use most of the time but sometimes I just drive her up on the truck and go.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
$600 trailer 8' long from Home Depot= good investment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I custom made this basket for my crewcab titan it was pretty easy to do if you can weld. it pulls a small trailer and the basket is rated for 500lbs but with some reinforcement you could put more on there. After all the nissan reciver holds alot more than one quad

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i found guy on the rhino forums that made something similar to your basket. he said he would make one for me that plugs into the hitch and is 2 inch steel for $250. i dont know if thats a good price but it looks very durable and it completely replaces the tailgate getting rid of my concern of damaging it. it will also hold the tires in place better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
plus extra storage in the basket. That is a good price. i bought the basket for $150 a few years ago and spent about $60 on material

·
Registered
775 Posts
mattychew said:
I custom made this basket for my crewcab titan it was pretty easy to do if you can weld. it pulls a small trailer and the basket is rated for 500lbs but with some reinforcement you could put more on there. After all the nissan reciver holds alot more than one quad

Awesome project! I'm concerned of the legality of attaching a hitch to it and towing from it, however. I would check with DOT on that. Again, really nice job.

·
Registered
775 Posts
sudden urge said:
Nissan rates the tailgate at 200#, so get the 2x12s for it to sit on.

200 lbs.?!? You mean to tell me that each time one of my size 13's touches the tailgate, I've overloaded it by 40 lbs.? I need to check on that as it should be rated for double that I would think. If not, I'll never climb in or out via the tailgate again. If I were to break the cables just jumping in or out and crease the tailgate, my tailgate would be not-so-proudly displayed at my nearest Nissan dealer for all to see. Dammit, I shoulda bought a Chevy.......just kidding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i travel from long island to pennslyvannia on weekends. 505 miles round trip. I have past many DOT people and numerous police cars and no problems. I bolt the basket to the reciver and use a hitch pin. So it is truly connected to the truck. The basket has working lights so no issue there. and i am no where near the towing capacity or GVWR. The receiver on the basket is welded. And the wiring harness connects perfectly to the trailer. The legality should be a non issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i just realized that with this rhino in the back of my truck i will be 200lbs over my gvwr and in dont know how much weight im putting on the axles either. i have the prg performance kit and the stronger shackles does anybody think this will be a problem?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts