Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when I sell my car, which I have a lien on, can the buyer get temperary plates without having the title yet? Someone wants to buy my car, he'll give me the money, I'll give him the car. When the title comes in I'll send it to him (we'll write up a contract stating this). However, I don't want to leave my plates on the car and he wants me to.

Any suggetions?

I can't seem to find any information. I've never sold a car, I've always traded them in for the new one.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
COHawk,

That is going to depend on your states DMV rules on how to handle that. In Ca you can sell the car to them with a bill of sale dictating the terms and that the title will be transferred.

Although, in CA we do not 'keep' our plates..they go with the car.

Chris

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CaliforniaTitan said:
COHawk,

That is going to depend on your states DMV rules on how to handle that. In Ca you can sell the car to them with a bill of sale dictating the terms and that the title will be transferred.

Although, in CA we do not 'keep' our plates..they go with the car.

Chris
Thanks Chris,
I've checked the CO DMV website and it states to keep the plates, but it also says for the buyer to take the title to get the new plates. I'll have to call tomorrow to check for sure.
Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts