Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the correct place for this, But I had a question for you all here.. I'm not a Titan owner at the moment, But i've loved them for about 3 years now.. And as soon as I get the funds together.. I plan on buying one. Now, My question for all of you is.. What year should I be looking for? Are the older Titans better than the new 07-08's? Would it be better for me to go with a new truck instead of used, Or is the extra money not really worth it? Are there any giant changes from 04-08? This is all I can think of for now.. And I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. =x

Anyways, Thanks for your time. :D

-Nick

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Just depends on what you want, and how much you have to spend. I personally wouldn't buy an 04 as it was a first year truck, although their are many 04 owners without any problems. If I were going to buy a Titan right now I would buy a new 07. The are offering huge rebates of over 5K right know to make room for the 08's which have some minor changes to the front end, brakes, and interior.

·
Registered
800 Posts
i bought my titan new dec. 05, i had always bought used before that and if i would do it over again i would, if you can afford it buy it new or the 06' and 05' are going to be a decent truck minus the warranty (maybe) you just can't go wrong with new, however a good used one that is modded up can save you some money and time, good luck with your decision and hope you get a titan as i am sure you won't be dissapointed!

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
If you have the means, go for an 08. But if you need one used, any year would be fine. Some of the 04s and 05s had your typical new model issues but Nissan has taken care of them in newer models as well as fixing them in the older ones. Other than a few more HP, there's no major difference in Titans from 04 to 08.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Based on pure value I would go with a 2005 or 2006 model. As a rule of thumb I would avoid the 2004 since they were the initial year of the model. The 2005's as long as the brakes and warranty work have been done are a great value since they still have the same body as the 2008's (minor changes) yet the 2005's have already taken the depreciation hit of a newer vehicle. I would look for a nice condition, low mileage 2005 or 2006 and check the vehicle history and carfax.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If buying used look for highly modded trucks, or high end trucks, like an LE model. If you don't care about that stuff I'd look for newer because it'll be a better deal. I bought my 04 LE 4x4 for 21k in mid 06 and it was 3k under retail. People aren't as much into trucks right now with gas prices so resale is lower than normal. Just keep your eyes open for a good deal.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
If you can afford new I'd go that route as you'll always know the history of the truck, was it abused, raced, flogged etc.. I personally don't trust carfax as I know it misses many things but due to it's public image everyone thinks the report you get is factual and complete.
Second and most importantly is can you afford to fill the truck with gas all the time? The Titan is a superb choice in pick-up trucks and I do not hesitate to recommend it.

Clint

·
Registered
274 Posts
If I were in the market right now I would probably go find an '07. The '08s are awesome, especially the Pro-4x, but when '07s are selling for 7k under sticker I would probably go that direction. '07s have the same hp/trq as the '08s and it seems the brakes and rears are doing well in them. Good luck with you shopping.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
It all depends upon how much money you have.

An older model will be less and allow you to customize it for the same money that you would buy a newer model...

08's have bigger brakes.

All of them will have their issues. I have an '04 and it is great. Replaced what needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Clint said:
If you can afford new I'd go that route as you'll always know the history of the truck, was it abused, raced, flogged etc.. I personally don't trust carfax as I know it misses many things but due to it's public image everyone thinks the report you get is factual and complete.
Second and most importantly is can you afford to fill the truck with gas all the time? The Titan is a superb choice in pick-up trucks and I do not hesitate to recommend it.

Clint

Carfax is only one piece of the puzzle and the more pieces the better. It does show if it was in any reported accidents and how many owners the vehicle had. That in itself is valuable information and most dealers pay for it. On top of that have Nissan run the VIN to get a list of work done on that vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Look around the internet, I just got a 2005 Titan XE with under 20,000 mi. on it. I also got the 3yr.,36,000mi. warranty plus I got 100,000mi./10 yr. powertrain warranty. I paid 16750.00, so look around.

·
Registered
805 Posts
oh, first off, welcome to TT!
my situation was similar to yours. i also had my eye on the Titan for a a couple years. I even tried twice to buy a new one, but was shot down credit wise... :(
but i didnt give up. last September, i had just picked up my 02 Altima at the dealer for some service work, when on the way out i saw some nice looking Titans in the used car lot. i saw one i really liked, especially the milage.
an 05 king cab with only 15K on it!
now, i didnt care how much it cost, i just wanted it! .... so that same evening i did the usual hassle with the sales people, and a few days later i had my Titan!.... :) i insisted on the dealer adding step rails and fogs before i would accept the sky hi payments!.. and they added those two.
not to mention that the previous owner had installed a Nismo CAI and Banks exhaust!
i traded in my 02 Altima of course. and i am paying up the whazooo interest wise and have a high monthly payment, but hey... I HAVE A TITAN!... :)

but to answer your question, see if you can get into a low milage 06, or even an 07. i know the 08's cost lots, the ones ive seen are easily 35K to 40K here in CT. but of course it all depends on your means.

good luck, and you wont regret getting a Titan!

·
Registered
287 Posts
If it were me I would stay in the 06-07 year range and this will give you some good options. You can but a new 07 for a low price since they are making room for the 08's. You can also probably find a couple of 06's new if not you can find low mileage at a good price.

Really depends on what you want to spend and what deals you can get from the stealerships.

Good luck and welcome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts