Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you cut out the honeycomb? I have my mesh cut, and painted and im ready to put it in, but i want to know exactly how to do it. I dont want to hack it up trying.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hacksaw and sawzaw.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Sawzall and a handheld grinder. It gets a little flimsy if its seperated when cutting

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
what type of blade did you use?

i pre bent my mesh to fit the curve of the grill before i painted it.
i think i used the bi metal blade lol.... it was the only one i had at the time

·
Registered
501 Posts
ill be doing this soon. probably a jigsaw of some sort. waiting for my fbab prerunner lightbar to come in

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I totally f-ed up my honeycomb with a sawzall and angle grinder. Jigsaw or Dremel saw (which I had, doh!) or hand hacksaw FTW.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I've done this mod 3 times, and each time the Sawzall f'ed it up. I had to perform surgery with Gorilla Glue, but you can't tell.

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
see that is what im afraid of. i dont want to mar it all up if the saw gets away from me, and i didnt think the jig blade would be long enough. I have a little handheld precision saw, maybe that would work.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
jigsaw worked perfectly, no kickbacks from the blade or anything, no F ups... its a one time deal :D

·
Registered
2,436 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I used a sawzall also to cut out all three sections of the honeycomb. This was my first time also. The biggest problem I ran into was the flimsiness of the plastic once you start cutting. I made it work tho without breaking anything. So it can be done by a first timer. It looks great and glad I did it myself. Good luck.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm contemplating doing this mod but have 1 question. Is it necessary to cut out the honeycomb original grill or can you just sandwich the expanded metal between it and the outer grill parts? I wouldn't think that the expanded metal would be too thick but haven't tried it yet. I would like to do it without cutting out the original honeycomb and possibly leave the Nissan burger on the front and cut out the mesh around it. Has anybody tried it without cutting out the factory honeycomb? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it can be done. lots of people have done it. but you will see the honeycomb through the mesh. it takes away from the mod a little. i dont like the center hole being so open, so i am going to be putting in a custom emblem in front once i cut the burger out.

·
Read Only
2,060 Posts
^^^ Here's a pic. I cut out the center honeycomb and left the outer ones. You can definitely see notice the honeycomb. So, if you left the center honeycomb (but removed the emblem) you'll still see the shape of the burger.

IMO: It'll look cleaner with the honeycomb removed.

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you put the scoops back in the sides?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts