Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 2WD SE without the Big Tow package. With my job, about every 3 months I pack up and travel to my next destination, where I stay for about three months. My jobs can vary from state to state. My question is, we are thinking about getting this 33' travel trailer that has a dry weight of just under 5900 lbs. This way we don't have to stay in hotels and can save money. Will I have any problems towing this thing cross country? And what are some things I can do to help, like sway bars etc. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
You should be fine towing that weight..
Get a weight distribution hitch and brake controller and you will forget it is behind you...

Hit the search feature and find all kinda threads on towing...

Good luck and happy towing !!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm getting a brake controller and I think the WD hitch is the Blue Ox SwayPro. I've heard these are worth their weight in gold. Anyone had any experiences with this brand?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
33 ft of trailer is alot for any 1/2 ton to haul.
That weight also sounds low for a trailer that size.
The longer the trailer, easier for the tail to wag the dog if you know what I mean.
IHMO I wouldn't tow anything longer then about 27 ft, no doubt you will hear from someone saying " no problems I tow mine all the time and it's that long" BUT chances are very low that you will no sway issues towing that long....

·
Super Moderator
161,766 Posts
I'll second Lou's response. That's an awful lot of trailer. The weight doesn't seem to be too far off IMHO at an estimate of 5900. My 27 foot ultralight is about 4900 or so I think. Even at only 27 feet, I do get sway if I get up over about 60, which I don't like to do anyway. Call me conservative. :dunno: You'll certainly want the best sway control you can get. I'd be a bit concerned more that you're wanting to do major miles on that setup than if it were just short getaways.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The trailer is a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315SS. Of course the dealer says no problem, I was just wanting some real life opinions. With us living in this thing year round, I am wanting to get the largest most comfortable trailer that I can tow. So thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Looks like a nice trailer.

I have a Jayco 29BHS which is about 31' long total. I can tell you that I know it's back there. If I was to get another TT I would definitely go shorter. My weight is around 7500 lbs loaded for camping including about 1/3 tank of fresh water, 2 batteries and 2 PP tanks filled. With all of this plus what the family brings the weights can add up fast so watch what and how you load it. I bet tongue weight will be a factor since your slide is near the front along with some exterior storage. I agree with lou and Carbeaux, a 27'er is a good size. remember it's not always about the weight but the length does play a factor with sway even with a good WD hitch. It's like trying to carry a piece of plywood by yourself during a windy day if you know what I mean. I have the Equali-z-er hitch which has a 4 point sway along with a WD. It's a great hitch and I recommend it highly.

One more piece of advice. It's recommended that your weight be as close to 80% of your tow vehicles total towing rate. This is just plain safe especially with a 1/2 ton. Those brakes are not the biggest or best IMO.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
493 Posts
i have a 19ft tt, weight 3750 lbs dry, i have 4x4 non-big tow, at times over hills it can get bogged down, i wouldnt go over 24ft.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a 8296SS which is 31.5 ft long and pretty much the same floorplan. Would this be a better idea? It just gives me less space to live in, obviously.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
There is a 8296SS which is 31.5 ft long and pretty much the same floorplan. Would this be a better idea? It just gives me less space to live in, obviously.
They're both real nice trailers, I'd like to live in them...If you knew for sure that you would stay in say Florida with no hills, then maybe, but if you're going to be all over, the terrain is going to be mixed, and coming down a steep grade with that much trailer could wear out those white knuckles...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Did you guys catch that the OP does NOT have the big tow package?

a 5900lb dry trailer is waaaaaaaaaaaay too much trailer for that truck. My trailer is 5400 lbs dry and when loaded with minimal stuff and fairly empty tanks is about 7200lbs. A 'dry' trailer has no batteries, no propane tanks, no fluids (of course) and absolutely nothing inside.

Before you spend a bunch of money run the numbers and try to get an idea of the loaded weight of the proposed trailer... not some brouchure number. It adds up fast....

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I think I missed that one...Thanks!
And yes that trailer will be close to 8000 lbs when optioned out and loaded...Too much for non-tow and still too long...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So as far as the length goes, is that too long to be pulled by just a 1/2 ton or any truck?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
mtofell said:
Haha...I was just seeing if you notices it first....yeah, right, good catch. I guess reading it would help!

mtofell said:
a 5900lb dry trailer is waaaaaaaaaaaay too much trailer for that truck. My trailer is 5400 lbs dry and when loaded with minimal stuff and fairly empty tanks is about 7200lbs. A 'dry' trailer has no batteries, no propane tanks, no fluids (of course) and absolutely nothing inside.

Before you spend a bunch of money run the numbers and try to get an idea of the loaded weight of the proposed trailer... not some brouchure number. It adds up fast....
Surferboy said:
So as far as the length goes, is that too long to be pulled by just a 1/2 ton or any truck?
Surferboy- Now that we all read that you don't have the tow package, I would have to agree with mtofell, this is to much trailer for your truck. Look at your empty weight (5847 lbs) which usually doesn't include any added features like the loaded propane tanks, AC, batteries etc.... to the listed weight on the trailer. You can check with Trailer dealer on the actual weights. With anything added plus your stuff which as I said early, can add up fast. Your truck is only listed at 7000 lbs or so...if you do the 80% rule that gives you 5600 lbs.which is already over the dry weight. If you don't follow the 80% rule I think both of these trailers are to long and to heavy....sorry but that's my opinion but it's up to you and your choice. Look at something maybe under 27' and start with something in the 4000 lbs weight. You can find some nice trailers out there in those ranges....something like a Surveyor, Jayco or Fleetwood brands.

Good Luck!
DJ

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would stay at 27' or less. I tow a 27'TT and when the big rigs pass me on the interstate they blow me all over the place even with the Equali-z-er anti-sway control. It sounds like you are going to be doing a lot of traveling in this thing, and I know you want maximum living space, but for a non BT truck I wouldn't get anything with a dry weight over 4500lbs.

·
Registered
679 Posts
TitanLou said:
I would stay at 27' or less. I tow a 27'TT and when the big rigs pass me on the interstate they blow me all over the place even with the Equali-z-er anti-sway control. It sounds like you are going to be doing a lot of traveling in this thing, and I know you want maximum living space, but for a non BT truck I wouldn't get anything with a dry weight over 4500lbs.
Agreed... mine's a 26 foot and I have similar experience on the highway... I'm happy with my setup but I realize I'm pretty close to my max. I usually try to travel with my tanks fairly empty and I am concious of what I put where. It would be nice to not have to worry about those things....

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I would say yes on that.
I'm NOT the guy who says you need a 3/4 ton to tow a P/U trailer at all, but there comes a time when that's exactly what's needed...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The wifey and I were discussing it last night, and we are going to upgrade our truck. For us, the living space is more important. I would like to just upgrade to another Titan w/the BT, but if I need a 3/4 ton, then that's what we will do. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Surferboy said:
The wifey and I were discussing it last night, and we are going to upgrade our truck. For us, the living space is more important. I would like to just upgrade to another Titan w/the BT, but if I need a 3/4 ton, then that's what we will do. Thanks for your help!
Heck!! Get a new GMC 2500 diesel with tow package. Yeah those are some bucks.....get a used one then. I really think that is the correct way to do this IMHO.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Surferboy said:
Yeah you are going to need some living space so I think upgrading to a 3/4 ton and a 5th wheel would be the right route to go. I hate to lose a Titan brother, but you got to do what you got to do. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts