Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great to see Bully Dog here on the site! Thanks to Jrock181 and others for there support.

Have a few of questions...

From the Manual:
The Rev Limiter regulates the highest RPM that an engine can
reach before the engine is electronically limited. The Rev Limiter
is set to a lower point from the factory than what the Power Pup
can set into the motor. Use the Power Pup to raise the Rev Limiter
as high as 6400 RPM. The Rev Limiter can be adjusted from
6400 rpm down to 3000 rpm in increments of 25 rpm.

1. What do they mean,... "The Rev Limiter
can set into the motor"?

2. When using a low rev limit either for a "valet" tune or just want to set at say 5000 rpm, will the truck shift to a higher gear under wot without having to back off? Another words if set at say 3000 rpm and truck is in 3rd gear under wot, will it shift into 4th at or just before the rev limit? (Could be used with low top speed limit for valet or kids just starting out behind the wheel, but wouldn't want truck to stay in a gear pegged to the rev limit.)

3. While using a power pup tune, where is the trucks factory tune stored when not in use? Is a "untouched" copy always kept on the trucks ecu?

4. Is the trucks stock already learned map saved or would it be unlearned when reinstalled?

5. Does a Power Pup tune learn as well, and if so, does it retain each of the learned tunes when switching between premium and regular gas tunes?

6. Does Bully Dog continually work to improve on the power pup performance and if so, how do we know what version would have improvements or fixes that would make a difference for ALL Nissan Power Pup owners? Are there release notes, and if so where can they be found? Don't want to re-flash to newer versions if they are not going to improve or fix anything.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
1. What do they mean,... "The Rev Limiter
can set into the motor"?
Don't change the Rev limiter, it's not going to help you anyway.

2. When using a low rev limit either for a "valet" tune or just want to set at say 5000 rpm, will the truck shift to a higher gear under wot without having to back off? Another words if set at say 3000 rpm and truck is in 3rd gear under wot, will it shift into 4th at or just before the rev limit? (Could be used with low top speed limit for valet or kids just starting out behind the wheel, but wouldn't want truck to stay in a gear pegged to the rev limit.)
You cannot change shift point. If you change the rev limiter to something lower, it's just gonna stall once it hit WOT.

3. While using a power pup tune, where is the trucks factory tune stored when not in use? Is a "untouched" copy always kept on the trucks ecu?
THe BD tune will probably overwrite the stock tune.

4. Is the trucks stock already learned map saved or would it be unlearned when reinstalled?
Not sure, have to see if the stock tune is still there once flash.

5. Does a Power Pup tune learn as well, and if so, does it retain each of the learned tunes when switching between premium and regular gas tunes?
Not sure, but seems to me every time you flash, it overwrite the previous so it will probably be lost.

6. Does Bully Dog continually work to improve on the power pup performance and if so, how do we know what version would have improvements or fixes that would make a difference for ALL Nissan Power Pup owners? Are there release notes, and if so where can they be found? Don't want to re-flash to newer versions if they are not going to improve or fix anything.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Never lose your Power Pup. I'm almost positive the stock factory tune is downloaded and stored into the Pup, and your new selected tune is the only one in your ECU.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Help guys, all questions answered.
The only thing would add is that for the most part updates are mainly for updating part #'s. Still not sure how one would know if an update is to fix a problem, being a new product this could happen, but updates are mainly released for part numbers only. Should a problem arise, sure a fix would quickly follow and that info would be found here and/or on Bully Dog web site.
Did lower the rev limit a tad, factory was 6150 and changed to 6050. Had no issues with shifting after change. Didn't like that it was that high and prior to power pup tune was quickly backing off and getting back in it so it would shift sooner. Now I can stay in it under wot and its shifting fine at about 6k. Know that its a rev limiter not a shift point change, but it seems to be doing the job without issue. Might try and back it down some more just to see where it finally won't shift.
---------------------------
Thanks to everyone for the help, everythings working great with no problems!

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Thanks for the Help guys, all questions answered.
The only thing would add is that for the most part updates are mainly for updating part #'s. Still not sure how one would know if an update is to fix a problem, being a new product this could happen, but updates are mainly released for part numbers only. Should a problem arise, sure a fix would quickly follow and that info would be found here and/or on Bully Dog web site.
Did lower the rev limit a tad, factory was 6150 and changed to 6050. Had no issues with shifting after change. Didn't like that it was that high and prior to power pup tune was quickly backing off and getting back in it so it would shift sooner. Now I can stay in it under wot and its shifting fine at about 6k. Know that its a rev limiter not a shift point change, but it seems to be doing the job without issue. Might try and back it down some more just to see where it finally won't shift.
---------------------------
Thanks to everyone for the help, everythings working great with no problems!
That's interesting, please keep us posted where the RPM point no longer helps.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lowered it yesterday, went right to 5800 rpm and there was a slight engine stumble, however it still shifted fine. You can tell the rev limit is kicking in, still you can stay wot and it will shift just as normal. Just before shifting could feel engine slightly stumble, the shift itself felt fine. If you really need to use this as a valet or for a safety thing for kids, it may work and not just stay pegged to the rev limit. It felt as though the engine backs down, thus allowing for a normal shift. When rev limit is set at 6050 rpm, could not notice any engine stumble and it shifts fine, just like if at the stock limit. 100 rpm is not much at all, yet it is allowing shifting to happen sooner. Having said that, Basballfanz is right, if your gonna let the engine reach 6050 rpm, don't think its even worth setting it at all. 100 or even 300 rpm drop isn't going to make your engine last longer or save it from certain disaster. Since we can't adjust shift points, it doesn't make any sense to lower rev limit, when considering performance. Don't think I'm going to look to the rev limit as a valet thing, but if you have a new driver starting out, it might be something to try. The engine did seem to back down, not stay pegged to the rev limit at 5800 rpm, that might not be the case with a lower rev limit.
Will put the S&B CAI on and continue as is with regular tune. After judging its performance on reg. tune, will flash to premium tune, leaving rev limit set at stock, and see how S&B does with premium tune. That should be the last flash as I intend to continue to run premium gas. (truck gets better mpg with it, so it pays for itself.) First tune was Premium, and it did seem to be the best.
FYI, recall hearing or reading the trucks eprom is warrantied from its manufacture for 80 flashes, but don't quote me on that. Just keep in mind the dealer will some times flash truck, without telling you, and its a good idea to flash it yourself to stock before taking it in. Then one more flash to put power pup back on. They do start to add up!

After all is said and done will have flashed it myself 4 times.

1. Premium tune, top speed 124, rev limit 6050 rpm, wot restriction removed.
2. Changed rev limit to 5800 rpm, wot restriction On.
3. Regular tune, top speed 124, rev limit 6050 rpm, wot restriction removed (current truck settings)

*Waiting for S&B CAI to arrive, install and test with current settings, then...

4. Premium tune, top speed 124, stock rev limit, wot (not sure yet, truck is spinning the tires like crazy without it! Fun, but not practical. A way to reduce the restriction by a % would be a great option. 3 choices would be great, 100% removal, 60%, and say 30%. Since we don't have many other choices like shift points, like other trucks do, more options with the things we can change would be nice update. Ht had this, so would think it could be done.)

As long as S&B CAI runs best with Premium tune as truck did with stock air intake, that should be the last flash for testing.

How many times have you flashed yours?

Is Re-flashing with a tuner the same thing as a computer reset?
When doing a computer reset, is it re-flashing the eprom?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Lowered it yesterday, went right to 5800 rpm and there was a slight engine stumble, however it still shifted fine. You can tell the rev limit is kicking in, still you can stay wot and it will shift just as normal. Just before shifting could feel engine slightly stumble, the shift itself felt fine. If you really need to use this as a valet or for a safety thing for kids, it may work and not just stay pegged to the rev limit. It felt as though the engine backs down, thus allowing for a normal shift. When rev limit is set at 6050 rpm, could not notice any engine stumble and it shifts fine, just like if at the stock limit. 100 rpm is not much at all, yet it is allowing shifting to happen sooner. Having said that, Basballfanz is right, if your gonna let the engine reach 6050 rpm, don't think its even worth setting it at all. 100 or even 300 rpm drop isn't going to make your engine last longer or save it from certain disaster. Since we can't adjust shift points, it doesn't make any sense to lower rev limit, when considering performance. Don't think I'm going to look to the rev limit as a valet thing, but if you have a new driver starting out, it might be something to try. The engine did seem to back down, not stay pegged to the rev limit at 5800 rpm, that might not be the case with a lower rev limit.
Will put the S&B CAI on and continue as is with regular tune. After judging its performance on reg. tune, will flash to premium tune, leaving rev limit set at stock, and see how S&B does with premium tune. That should be the last flash as I intend to continue to run premium gas. (truck gets better mpg with it, so it pays for itself.) First tune was Premium, and it did seem to be the best.
FYI, recall hearing or reading the trucks eprom is warrantied from its manufacture for 80 flashes, but don't quote me on that. Just keep in mind the dealer will some times flash truck, without telling you, and its a good idea to flash it yourself to stock before taking it in. Then one more flash to put power pup back on. They do start to add up!

After all is said and done will have flashed it myself 4 times.

1. Premium tune, top speed 124, rev limit 6050 rpm, wot restriction removed.
2. Changed rev limit to 5800 rpm, wot restriction On.
3. Regular tune, top speed 124, rev limit 6050 rpm, wot restriction removed (current truck settings)

*Waiting for S&B CAI to arrive, install and test with current settings, then...

4. Premium tune, top speed 124, stock rev limit, wot (not sure yet, truck is spinning the tires like crazy without it! Fun, but not practical. A way to reduce the restriction by a % would be a great option. 3 choices would be great, 100% removal, 60%, and say 30%. Since we don't have many other choices like shift points, like other trucks do, more options with the things we can change would be nice update. Ht had this, so would think it could be done.)

As long as S&B CAI runs best with Premium tune as truck did with stock air intake, that should be the last flash for testing.

How many times have you flashed yours?

Is Re-flashing with a tuner the same thing as a computer reset?

Thanks for the info. I have flashed mine about 10 times. I don't think a reset is anything like a reflash.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can someone go into detail about this...

Is flashing with a tuner doing the same thing as a computer reset?
If a reset is different then a tuner flash, what does a reset do that a tuner flash doesn't?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was wondering what changed in version 1.1.0 to 1.1.1

·
Premium Member
57,554 Posts
I was wondering what changed in version 1.1.0 to 1.1.1
I agree. IMO the BD website should list the versions and what issues each version corrects.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
I want a ride in your truck dude, to experience both the PP, and also the traction bars.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I agree. IMO the BD website should list the versions and what issues each version corrects.
^^^3rd that, Don't know why BD site is slow to show latest version release & with no notes. When loading on Monday (8/18), it was saying current version was 1.0.3 when 1.1.0 was the latest at that time. There changing fast because of new part numbers being discovered. Think they don't post any info on them because as far as I know they have been about updating missing part numbers only, from initial release of 1.0.0 - 1.1.1. Sure if theres an update to fix, added new feature, or improvement, they will provide that info with the release. From what BD tech said, its doubtful it will be improved upon or features added, but I'm hopeful as choices on the pup are limited.
If nothing else, it would have been great if the wot was not part of a flash, but a settings change like the timing. Guessing that isn't possible.
So, would like to see the ability to reduce wot restriction by a %, not just on/off. Off is not practical, truck can't stop spinning the tires, On just sucks, so something in-between would be nice. 3 WOT Restriction Removal Choices- 100%, 60%, 30%, wouldn't that be great. Come on guys, back me up on this! Can't believe I'm the only one spinning the tires like mad now, and I have traction bars! Maybe its just the stock tires, :dunno:
Just an idea, what if we could change where full power kicks in, say around 10 mph, instead of factory 30-40 mph.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
^^^3rd that, Don't know why BD site is slow to show latest version release & with no notes. When loading on Monday (8/18), it was saying current version was 1.0.3 when 1.1.0 was the latest at that time. There changing fast because of new part numbers being discovered. Think they don't post any info on them because as far as I know they have been about updating missing part numbers only, from initial release of 1.0.0 - 1.1.1. Sure if theres an update to fix, added new feature, or improvement, they will provide that info with the release. From what BD tech said, its doubtful it will be improved upon or features added, but I'm hopeful as choices on the pup are limited.
If nothing else, it would have been great if the wot was not part of a flash, but a settings change like the timing. Guessing that isn't possible.
So, would like to see the ability to reduce wot restriction by a %, not just on/off. Off is not practical, truck can't stop spinning the tires, On just sucks, so something in-between would be nice. 3 WOT Restriction Removal Choices- 100%, 60%, 30%, wouldn't that be great. Come on guys, back me up on this! Can't believe I'm the only one spinning the tires like mad now, and I have traction bars! Maybe its just the stock tires, :dunno:
Just an idea, what if we could change where full power kicks in, say around 10 mph, instead of factory 30-40 mph.
That's not necessary IMO. Normal driving will put you in granny mode and traction becomes less of a problem.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's not necessary IMO. Normal driving will put you in granny mode and traction becomes less of a problem.
Rather be dead than to have to drive in "granny mode"! LOL Didn't buy a Titan to be in the slow lane. Its All Out or Parked! No holding back, thats why I bought the pup. Its Funny, for the longest time couldn't figure out why it wouldn't do a burnout, thought it was the abs slip control. Didn't know about having foot on the brake and gas was restricting power. Even when not power braking, was still holding brake pedal down for too long. Once I learned about that, burnout problems were a thing of the past. Hmmm...Should try and do it the old 2 footed way, and see if that helps traction when launching. Don't know if thats a part of the WOT R or not.
The BD PP is a Great Product and wouldn't go without now. Its a traction problem, and thought BD could possibly help out with. WOT RR is great allowing for full power, just wish my tires could handle it! Was thinking with a few more options, still keeping whats there now, one could better customize to meet there trucks needs.
Will be meeting up with 54warrior soon and will let him drive the truck and ask him to post back here on what he thinks about the wot rr and traction on the truck.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tried the 2 footed way to see if it restricted power and no deal. Power braking without the burnout mod! Tire broke lose around 30% throttle. Didn't go WOT, but thinking when you have the WOT RR, it also allows for full power when foot is on gas and brake at the same time. With the trac bars on, the leaf springs no longer absorb any energy, so the bars allow all energy to reach the wheels which is why tires spin so easily with WOT RR. Need better, wider tires. If the truck keeps spinning the tires like it is, it shouldn't take to long! Still gonna keep the WOT R Off, once the truck is rolling a little tires don't break free and it takes off like a bitch on a broom.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts