Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone. I was strongly considering purchasing a pre-owned 2018 Nissan Armada. The reason I am here is because the Armada forums seems to be empty, and had no luck finding real information. The Titan is the more main stream vehicle, and I learned that both vehicles share the same platform, engine, transmission (Pretty much the exact same vehicle). I have test driven a 2016 Titan Pro 4x a few times, and I love everything about the vehicle. I will be needing a large family hauler in the neat future, so the Armada is my top pick. I do have a few questions about the Y62 platform that I hope some of you may shed some knowledge on.

1) Overall reliability. I asked the Nissan tech and salesman, and both of them told me they are very reliable vehicles. They claim owners rarely go in for repairs and only go to the dealership for basic maintenance. I know of course in the back of my head that their opinions are a bit biased, so I am wondering what actual owners have to say.

2) Maintenance cost. How much do you guys spend on oil changes and most importantly tires? I assume being a bigger vehicle it will go through tires quickly and the tires will be more than let's say the average sedan. I am planning on getting the RWD by the way.

3) Average gas mileage. I know it will get terrible mileage compared to your average vehicle, but I want to get an idea. I spend around $20 per 100 miles in my current vehicle, so I am used to none hybrid results lol.

4) Overall durability. I tend to drive my cars and it is pretty much safe to say the 5.6L and the vehicle overall is built like a tank. I mean with a tow rating that heavy, there should be no explanation needed.

Would like to thank you all in advanced. I never want to lease and I am planning to keep my vehicle for a very long time. I did some research and got mixed information. Some owners say it is reliable showing me pictures of their trucks with 300k plus miles, but some respectfully disagrees with those claims saying their vehicle has been nothing but trouble. I just want to be prepared before going on a test drive and negotiating. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
367 Posts
for real world gas mileage, check fuelly.com. that's what I use because the epa and window sticker numbers are not realistic.

the other stuff, I don't have any input on yet as I have had my titan for almost a month but it gets better mileage than you are showing, 20 bucks per hundred miles is like old school v8 numbers. my titan gets better then my Nissan frontier got, in town and on the highway

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have driven the Frontier multiple times, and it is impressive that your Titan gets better mileage. I also forgot to mention that I live in California, so gas mileage and gas expenses will be a lot worse compared to other states. Seems like the Titan forums is as dead as the Armada forums lol. Thanks for the reply though Busemans. Let me know if you have any sort of advice with the vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
367 Posts
Don't start flooring it everywhere. It's to much fun but the gas mileage gets bad that way.
I think an armada would be a great vehicle for family hauling. I hardly see any in the junkyards, just like I hardly see titans so they must be ok

·
Registered
39 Posts
We have a 2018 Armada platinum reserve. We had some issues with the radar but other than that it’s been great. We had it in for service today and they said they might have heard a knock and might have to replace the engine. This will be done under warranty so no big deal. The truck has near 50k miles. It gets 15 miles a gallon average and about 12 pulling a 4K lb boat. My wife really loves the truck so we are hoping this is it for problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information Tex. Replacing the engine is pretty alarming, and it sounds like a big red flag.I did read about engine failures in the VK 5.6s and the notorious engine knock. I wonder how prevalent is this issue. They are really great vehicles, but I am just worried about the long term maintenance. Tex, can you update us on what will they do with your Armada? As I said earlier, I am purchasing pre-owned, and I am pretty sure warranty is limited to none. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wouldn’t buy one without a warranty, our dealer gave us a lifetime warranty that covers everything even hoses and wipers for the first 2 years, plus it has some sort of extended Nissan warranty. The standard power train warranty if you don’t get one of these special warranties is 60k miles can’t remember how many years. If it’s through a dealer they should be able to sell you a good extended warranty. You might want to check to see what has been done already, if it has the knock it tends to show up fairly early, maybe it already has the updated short block.

it’s a shame that Nissan made a mistake like this on the new 5.6, the old 5.6minus exhaust manifolds was bullet proof.
We owned a new Chevy suburban before this , it started using a quart of oil every 1000 miles at 30k. Chevy told us it was normal and refused to do anything about it. At least Nissan willingly fixes it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn’t buy one without a warranty, our dealer gave us a lifetime warranty that covers everything even hoses and wipers for the first 2 years, plus it has some sort of extended Nissan warranty. The standard power train warranty if you don’t get one of these special warranties is 60k miles can’t remember how many years. If it’s through a dealer they should be able to sell you a good extended warranty. You might want to check to see what has been done already, if it has the knock it tends to show up fairly early, maybe it already has the updated short block.

it’s a shame that Nissan made a mistake like this on the new 5.6, the old 5.6minus exhaust manifolds was bullet proof.
We owned a new Chevy suburban before this , it started using a quart of oil every 1000 miles at 30k. Chevy told us it was normal and refused to do anything about it. At least Nissan willingly fixes it.
I will definitely ask for warranty and this specific engine issue when I visit the dealership. The Armadas I am looking at has pretty low mileage. You mentioned about the short block. Once that is replaced, does it solve the issue completely? Anyone else with a Titan encoundered this issue? It would be good to know how everything turned out.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
367 Posts
There is a thread called the engine knock thread, I think in the second gen section. It talks about the issue and people who have had their engine replaced have posted in ut

·
Registered
39 Posts
The short block seems to fix it. My dealer has done a ton and said he only had one come back because the tech didn’t fully seat a sensor plug. They’ve been doing this repair for a couple seasons now. My Titan had the engine replaced at like 10k-15k, I can’t recall. But early. Make sure you check the records.

·
Registered
2019 PRO-4X. Who needs heat/cooled seats? Didn’t know I did!!!!
19 Posts
My wife has a 2019 armada SL for our family mover we got it used with ~18000 miles on it in Jan. Steal of a deal with lifetime drivetrain and 100k bumper to bumper warranty. As of yet, 28000 miles and several 6+hour drives to the beach, other than a little rattle in the dash and a a/c fan replacement to keep the cold air blowing haven’t had any issues. Only reason mpg is low is I tend to have a heavy foot. Not so bad with the wife driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did some more reading and you guys are spot on! Looks like a #7 cylinder knock requires the entire engine to be replaced. Some owners claim their engines are fine after. Even better than the original. I will for sure ask the dealership about this problem. Looks like the Armada I was looking at was sold, so I am back to car hunting. I am hoping the new engine will solve this long term issue. I really have my heart set on the Armada. but knowing this is really troubling lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My wife has a 2019 armada SL for our family mover we got it used with ~18000 miles on it in Jan. Steal of a deal with lifetime drivetrain and 100k bumper to bumper warranty. As of yet, 28000 miles and several 6+hour drives to the beach, other than a little rattle in the dash and a a/c fan replacement to keep the cold air blowing haven’t had any issues. Only reason mpg is low is I tend to have a heavy foot. Not so bad with the wife driving.
It's good to hear that. I am eyeing up pre-owned 2017s and 18s because a lot of them are for sale for under 30k. I knew gas mileage would be the only down side, but I feel that hearing the V8 makes it well worth it lol. Heck, even the V6 Frontiers are hard not to drive hard. Not to sound like a noobie here, but does drivetrain include the engine and transmission? That would be nice to have just in case the engine takes a dive later on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes the power train includes the engine and transmission. The used Armada’s price is hard to beat as far as a luxury car And they used them as rentals And corporate cars so you will find lots of them with low miles. We thought about trading ours in but to buy something equivalent we’d have to spend $50-60k vs the $30k we spent on a platinum reserve with 18k miles.

You guys without the new engines need to have your dealer scope the cylinder before your warranty expires, my engine was not noisy to my ears but the dealer heard it, scoped it out And submitted a video of the damage to Nissan. Thank goodness for our dealers service department, they are always awesome.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
367 Posts
I saw the scuffing tsb, or whatever they call that. if I remember, I will pull my boroscope and check number 7 one weekend

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes the power train includes the engine and transmission. The used Armada’s price is hard to beat as far as a luxury car And they used them as rentals And corporate cars so you will find lots of them with low miles. We thought about trading ours in but to buy something equivalent we’d have to spend $50-60k vs the $30k we spent on a platinum reserve with 18k miles.

You guys without the new engines need to have your dealer scope the cylinder before your warranty expires, my engine was not noisy to my ears but the dealer heard it, scoped it out And submitted a video of the damage to Nissan. Thank goodness for our dealers service department, they are always awesome.
You are right about that. The Armada is also better looking and has a stronger road presence compared to its competition in my opinion. You are lucky to have a great dealer. The Nissan dealership that I currently go to is just okay. They provide just enough customer service, but nothing to write to home about. I am now browsing Armadas for sale out of the city I live in. I will also make sure to check reviews and opinions about the dealerships that sell them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw the scuffing tsb, or whatever they call that. if I remember, I will pull my boroscope and check number 7 one weekend
Let us know what you find. I read that the majority of this issue occurs in colder locations such as Canada. As far as I read, Nissan recognizes the issue and are doing everything they can to resolve it. Good on their part if this is true.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
367 Posts
that's what I read also. I imagine I won't have trouble than since our normal temps are over 90 from spring break till almost Christmas. we already had our "100 year snow" a few years back so now it should just be crappy drizzly rain during jan, feb, march, and part of april

·
Registered
92 Posts
We have a 2018 Armada platinum reserve. We had some issues with the radar but other than that it’s been great. We had it in for service today and they said they might have heard a knock and might have to replace the engine. This will be done under warranty so no big deal. The truck has near 50k miles. It gets 15 miles a gallon average and about 12 pulling a 4K lb boat. My wife really loves the truck so we are hoping this is it for problems.
Don’t mean to be nosey but what did you have to pay for your Armada

1 - 20 of 31 Posts