Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys....i just bought myself a bass boat and this is the first time that i will ever be towing anything with my truck. it is a 4 door se w/o the towing package.

questions: can i just install the ball on the rear bumper and tow the boat?

it is a 14 footer bass boat...not too heavy.....

where do i wire up the lights on the trailer? where is the specific location to look for this magic plug?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You want the trailer to sit parallel to the ground, so what you can do is measure the hight of the tounge on your trailer and compare it to the hight on the bumper. everytime i've ever towed I had to use some sort of drop hitch. I dont have the tow package either but I bought the nissan reciever for my truck. I installed it myself in minutes. There is only 6 bolts. As for the wiring, it was tucked up under on the rear bumper. Its ready to rock as a 7 prong I believe but you'll need an adapter to use a 4 prong (they have those at most auto parts stores). I like to use the tow/haul button aswell that way its easier on your rear end and it doesnt drop a shift as much

·
Registered
67 Posts
:banasex0r Well you need to do some research. Honestly you would have been better to have purchased a Titan with a Big tow package. Bumpers have a tounge weight that they are rated for. The biggest things you need to know are the actuall weight of the the boat, not just a guess, you need to know the weight. The tow capabilities aside is the boat trailer a single or tandem....does it have some kind of brakes???? Even if the Titan is rated to tow it ....is it rated to slow it down!!!!!! I dont mean to be so harsh but I leared all my lessons the hard way after I bought my 1st boat. Also take a look at the boat trailer tires and make sure they are ST rated. That means Special Trailer, so they will take more air pressure then a standard car tire...I got hosed on that one. The size of the boat and the towing capabilities of the truck are not as important as the proper set up. The boat trailer can make the difference. If any of this is confusing feel free to ask more and I will do my best to enlightejn....Good Luck!!!:banasex0r

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Why mess around with the uncertainty of the bumper hitch? The OEM trailer hitch is a no brainer to install and will be better suited for the job. The cost of messing up easily offsets the cost of the frame mounted hitch Depending on the load, the bumper may flex a bit and not provide the optimal height for your trailer.

The frame mounted hitch will tow the trailer better and be more durable in the long run. In my opinion, the frame mounted hitch is a better feel when towing. Add a cushion ball mount like what is offered by Convert-a-ball and it will help a lot with surging and help save the drivetrain.

http://www.convert-a-ball.com/ballmounts.htm

·
Registered
62 Posts
For a lightweight boat, I wouldn't hesitate to try the bumper-mount hitch, BUT, it may well be too high for a typical trailer, making the back of the trailer likely to drag and the boat more awkward to load.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Floating-Traction said:
Also take a look at the boat trailer tires and make sure they are ST rated. That means Special Trailer, so they will take more air pressure then a standard car tire...
To add to this, always check your air pressure on the trailer before your trip if you are towing over a long distance, especially on a hot day. I tend to make a few stops when towing my boat (about 250 miles one way) just to see how hot the tires and trailer hubs are getting. You should also probably check/repack (grease) the bearings on the trailer just to be on the safe side. Extra bearings/grease or an extra hub w/ bearings is also a good idea if your traveling long distances.

The next time you take a long trip on a hot summers day, just watch and see how many people have flats on their trailers.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Make sure the plug is in the boat BEFORE you launch it.

·
Super Moderator
159,621 Posts
I'm with Musky here. Just put the factory hitch on your truck. Do it once, and do it right. Why play around with towing in an unsafe manner?

·
Registered
204 Posts
walleeme said:
make sure the boat will start before you launch it as well...otherwise have a nice swim!:domohit:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Dude - do yourself a favor and go to your local UHAUL shop and have them install a hitch and trailer harness for less than $200.00.

The problem with the bumper ball is..

1. the trailer will not sit level.
2. if you back up and turn sharp the trailer tongue will hit the chrome and take a chunk out of it. the smaller the trailer the quicker and easier it is to jackknife it.
________
PROBLEMS FROM AVANDIA

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
The OEM is probally a cleaner looking package then a U-Haul hitch thats not vehicle specific.

·
Super Moderator
159,621 Posts
BigA said:
The OEM is probally a cleaner looking package then a U-Haul hitch thats not vehicle specific.
It is, and you know without a doubt it will let you safely get to your maximum towing capacity.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
walleeme said:
Ive done that before and almost sunk my boat.
Get the hitch and do it right no doubt. Its not worth watching your boat go one way in your rear view while you go the other way down the freeway at 70mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The u-haul hitch is made from round-bar stock, and bent to fit the truck specifically. I have one, it fits very nicely and is almost totally hidden. All you see is the square reciever and the chain hooks. Also, you can get the Uhaul wiring adapter that comes with a bracket to make it look good as factory. Hitch is rated for 10,000 lbs as well.

As to what else you need...do you plan to ever tow at night? My truck did not have the relays that turn on the running lights. I checked the brake and turn signals, then forgot about it...until I got pulled over last summer. No driver's license (forgot it at home), 2 hours from the house and 4 hours from my destination, and he never asked for my license. BTW, a paperclip will fit perfectly in the relay holder and turn on those trailer lights for you :lol:

If you've never towed before, be aware of the side of the road when you make corners. The longer the trailer, the wider you have to make your turns. With a 14' boat, you may forget it's there. It should tow very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts