Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2021 Titan Platinum.

I want to get a enclosed car trailer and tow my 2015 Mustang GT (roughly 3,800lbs) from Colorado to North Carolina for a show we are going to participate in. I feel like the truck should be able to handle this fine, but I would like anyone's input or similar experiences towing a vehicle like I want to?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,877 Posts
i towed a wrangler from colorado springs to corpus christi tx with no problems this past thanksgiving week. my truck is a 2017 sv crewcab. the car hauler was 3300ish pounds and hte wrangler was 3500ish pounds. i believe the total weight was around 6600 and the titan pulled it fine up and over ratton pass and through the texas desert, hill country, and then to the coast. zero issues and a very nice haul. don't use cruise control though because it will cost you 2-3mpg versus just controlling speed and downshifting with your foot. expect 9-11mpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the reply. I think the weight will be very similar to what you had. Good to know. My fuel costs will be the killer on the trip for sure!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
As a racer who tows a 22' enclosed racecar trailer, I'd suggest you also invest in a weight distributing hitch (WDH) with sway control. Be sure to take a few trial runs to get the Titan and trailer dialed in before your big trip.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yep, will be no issue at all towing this. I towed my X5 from Washington DC to Southern Louisiana and no issues at all. If I have one complaint towing with the Titan, it would be the cruise control, which you're technically not supposed to use while towing anyway. This also applies when not towing, but the CC always wants to downshift too aggressively. I can accelerate up a hill in 7th gear without CC, but on the same hill it wants to downshift to 4th with CC engaged. Very strange. Maybe it's different with your 9 speed.

Anyway, the vehicle/trailer combo was over 7200 lbs and I felt very confident with brakes, sway, etc at 70 mph driving through the Smokies. 11 mpg average on the trip.

Car Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle

·
Registered
2017 Titan SV
8 Posts
I have a 2017 SV w tow package (with built in brake controller) and have towed an open car aluminum trailer w track car (i would estimate 5100 lbs) - no WD hitch - with no problems to date.

I get about 12.5 - 13 MPG doing 70 MPH

Reactions: busemans
1 - 7 of 7 Posts