Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got finished installing my system today, and I realized, when you shut the truck off, the radio immediately shuts down. A lot of other vehicles I've owned have been set up to keep the stereo on until you open the door.
Messing around a bit, I noticed that the power windows would still work this way though. So, why not the radio?

2 things....
1. I don't take any responsibility if you try this and screw up your vehicle.
2. I did this on my 06 SE king cab. Other model years/trim levels may vary as far as wiring and options.

To do this mod, you will need a normal automotive SPDT 12 volt relay, a fuseable link, and some connectors (3m t-taps or you can wrap and solder/tape connections) (female spades for relay)
If you look in the driver's door jamb, you'll see the rubber boot with the door wiring going into the truck. Remove the driver kick panel near the e-brake and where that harness comes into the truck, there's a large 18 pin (If I counted right) connector stuffed ino a hole with another smaller connector.

Here's a pic of the connector location above the DKP

Here is the harness pulled out of the hole:

The white/blue wire I have hooked is the power window RAP wire. It will show 12 volts when you turn on the key, and drop to 0 volts with the ignition off and any door open.

I used this wire to trigger a relay on a constant 12v circuit from the key cylinder, and connected it to the switched turn on lead of my aftermarket head unit.

The only drawback to setting up this way, is that the radio won't power up untill the key is put into the #2 position (ignition) instead of the #1 (acc) position. If you still want it to work this way, you will have to add another wire to your relay. It get's a bit more complicated this way.

Here's a standard 12v relay diagram.

These are the connections to the relay.

Terminal 85: Connect to the white/blue RAP wire you found in the driver kick panel
Terminal 86: Connect to ground (-)
Terminal 30: Connect to switched turn-on of your radio (usually red on aftermarket head units)
Terminal 87: Connect to 12v constant power (you should use a fuse on this link, preferably what your head unit calls for on this wire)
Terminal 87A: (Optional) You don't need this connection to make it work, but this will make it the radio turn on in the #1 (acc) key position like stock. The easiest place to find this wire is at the key cylinder under the driver dash. On my truck I used the purple 2nd acc wire. It will test as 12v when the key is one click foreward, and 0 volts when the key is off or in the #3 (starter crank) position.

Hope this is useful to someone, if you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to help you with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife's Porsche has that feature. I never understand the point of it thought.
Nice work anyhow.:)
Thanks. One of the big reasons I like it for the bluetooth in the radio. If I'm on a hands free call, and shut off the vehicle, it screws up my phone sometimes and I drop the call instead of it transferring back to my phone. Plus sometimes when i get home and I'm listening to something I good I want to let it play out before I get out of the car without the truck running. Just something I got used to I guess, kind of like having a remote starter in the winter. Once you get spoiled with one, you want one forever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts