Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im 16 and have saved up 8000 for my first truck. parents have agreed to pay whatever i pay for it so i can get something around 16,000. I am looking into doing a mid travel set up so around 11-13 in. of travel front and rear. I work after school and make about 80 a week. I was thinking of doing rims/tires first but then realized that i would need a lift. dont want to dump money on a lift if i am going to do long travel in the future. what would you guys suggest doing in my situation? i know this is going to take about 2 years to do but i am looking to built it up over time. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,345 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suggest getting something very reliable, other than a V8 gas guzzling vehicle, until you can afford to do frequent repairs and mods... now if you're set on getting into a Titan, you should check out the suspension and lift sticky...

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-suspension/62459-titan-lift-shock-overview.html
i was also looking into the toyota tacoma's. they are very reliable but are a bit more expensive and smaller. I would have to go with a 2005 with probably 60000 miles and the extended cab. My dad has a good friend that is a CEO at a toyota dealer that i can probably get a good deal from. Would you suggest doing this route?

·
Registered
878 Posts
i was also looking into the toyota tacoma's. they are very reliable but are a bit more expensive and smaller. I would have to go with a 2005 with probably 60000 miles and the extended cab. My dad has a good friend that is a CEO at a toyota dealer that i can probably get a good deal from. Would you suggest doing this route?
A tacoma is a quality vehicle and better on gas that a full size truck. They are reliable as hell also and have a decent amount of aftermarket support.

Buying someones built up truck is always cheaper. Just the fiberglass costs are gonna kill ya with an 80 dollar a week budget. Wheels and tires and suspension dont come cheap...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A tacoma is a quality vehicle and better on gas that a full size truck. They are reliable as hell also and have a decent amount of aftermarket support.

Buying someones built up truck is always cheaper. Just the fiberglass costs are gonna kill ya with an 80 dollar a week budget. Wheels and tires and suspension dont come cheap...

i have been looking for build up tacomas for about 2 months and have found nothing in the range of 15000. found a good deal locally on a titan built up for 15000. 2005 Nissan Titan Pre runner Long travel
I also ride dirtbikes so need space to fit both of my bikes in the back.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
I'm pretty sure that truck belongs to a member here.
Don't forget to check insurance rates before you buy anything, doubt it will be cheap for a 16 year old to drive a full size truck.
Titan was a great truck for me while I was working on bikes and doing construction. but I went back to college and couldn't afford the gas driving 80 miles round trip a day @ 14-16mpg

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Honestly, I would get an older Ford Ranger. They are inexpensive, parts are plentiful and cheap and the aftermarket support is fantastic not and not expensive compared to their Japanese counterparts. You can fit 2 Bikes in the bed and you are set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure that truck belongs to a member here.
Don't forget to check insurance rates before you buy anything, doubt it will be cheap for a 16 year old to drive a full size truck.
Titan was a great truck for me while I was working on bikes and doing construction. but I went back to college and couldn't afford the gas driving 80 miles round trip a day @ 14-16mpg
i will have to look into the insurance. I get all a's and b's so that will bring the rates down and i think doing a drivers class also brings it down a bit. I know i can fit 2 bikes in the bed of a tacoma, its just the back seat space that is so little. I guess i dont have to worry much since i wont be back there just my gear and friends. im going to have to look into this more and find the best route to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly, I would get an older Ford Ranger. They are inexpensive, parts are plentiful and cheap and the aftermarket support is fantastic not and not expensive compared to their Japanese counterparts. You can fit 2 Bikes in the bed and you are set.
i really never have and never will like ford rangers. they look like garbage in my opionion and like they were thrown together.

·
Registered
792 Posts
The truck you linked to on craigslist looks like a good deal. Go take a look at it and try to test drive it. 15K is a pretty good deal for a truck like that, so be careful and very thorough with your inspection. Also look at all of the welds on the shock hoops and engine brace and look for rust, cracks and bends and things of that sort. Good luck! The Titan is an awesome truck that you will love more and more every time you drive it. The tacomas just feel cheap and way too small for the price they carry. If you want something to smash on, look at like a 95-99 Tacoma and they have a huge backing as far as long travel and such. But with any import, just like the Titan, maintenance and replacement parts are going to be more expensive and on your budget, that might be a little draining...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I can tell you I'm 19 years old...got my truck right before my 17th birthday...I make a little over a grand each month working 3 days a week...and with daily driving around 50+ miles a day at 11 to the gallon, sh!t adds up...I work my @ss off to keep my truck, with an 80 a week budget it's all going to gas man...don't get me wrong I'd never steer anyone away from a Titan, but in your situation a Taco would be a FAR better choice...

-Ry

·
Registered
240 Posts
Another vote for a Ranger, the long travel aftermarket support for those trucks is enormous.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I don't know anything about Tacoma's gas mileage. But, how could it be much different than a Titan? Wouldn't an overworked I4 or V6 get crappy mpg just like a more capable V8? In my experience, a truck is a truck, as soon as you swap out the stock wheels and tires your mpgs are in the teens. If an off road truck is what you want, then you should be prepared for bad gas mileage. So, you might as well get what you want.

Feel free to debunk my theory. I could be way off base on the Taco's mileage. I have been unhappy with every vehicle I have ever "settled for". Get what you want, because you are stuck with it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Tacoma usually get around 20-22 mpgs depending on how you drive. I could get 24-25 with mine after the lift and 285/75/16s.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
I bought my titan brand new, completely stock in 08 and began building it from there. This is diffinitly not the cheapest way to build a prerunner. Lucky I can do all the fab work my self so I built the front and back bumpers, long travel suspesnion and shock hoops myself but even with all that work done myself I still spent close to 3,000 in rims, tires, exhaust, front coilovers and front fiberglass, the things I couldnt build.

If you cant do the fab work yourself or dont know someone that can do it cheap your looking at close to 8k for front and rear long travel (shock hoops, bedcage and the long travel kits themselves for the front and rear) and thats the bare minimum if you get a cheap long travel kit and not one that costs 5k. You best best is finding one that has already been built but just be sure to carefully look over everything since some of the prerunners out there look good but are beaten up badly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a 2003 tacoma double cab, and even though i love my titan...it was the best vehicle i've ever owned BY FAR. Ran it up to 200k miles and only maintenance cost was oil changes, windshield wipers, and light bulbs. I should say however, that that truck got only 18 mpg.....my titan gets around 15

·
Registered
287 Posts
yeah man i am 19 and i got my truck when i was 18. The chicks DIG ITTT!! but its all for a price the parts for these truck are pretty pricey and gas blows. i mean you have to drive like a grandma to get some decent mileage. my first truck was an S10 i did a little lift and i beat the hell out of it and it went strong. I would recommend going with a mid size to long travel. the project will cost way less. with it being cheaper it will be quicker!!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
hey I'm in AZ too haha! Id say get a taco. That truck does look sick!!! Screw the taco, go with the Titan LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Go look at it!!!! That's a great deal!!! "idhitit2:
It doesnt sound like he really knows what he is talking about. He says it has 3.0 18" shocks but says its only pulling 12" of travel because he needs his bed? Sounds like he doesnt have a bedcage (which would mean there is no way he is running that size shock) or he just has stock rear suspension with those shocks. The front he doesnt really go into detail about the suspension other than it is custom and I wouldnt be suprised if it is just stock arms with a shock hoop and engine brace...

Look on race dezert there is a black titan for sale for 15k I believe and it has the camburg front end kit which is currently the best kit out and has deavers and a bedcage in the back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts