Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone just bypassed the radiator, like just connecting the two hoses at the bottom of the radiator together, instead of adding a external cooler. I have the BT package and it has an external cooler already. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this, BTW I rarely tow if ever. Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I assume we are talking about the tranny cooler. AFAIK, all trucks have the same tranny cooler, Big Tow just adds the tranny gauge on the dash. Running the ATF through the heat exchanger in the radiator serves the purpose of bringing the ATF more quickly up to operating temp., particularly in cold climates. Once the coolant in the radiator reaches 180 F (which is I think the temp the thermostat opens), I wonder if the radiator ATF heat exchanger actually does much ATF cooling.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am worried about the cooler temps, but its only cold a few months. My main reason is incase the radiator cracks, I dont want to blow up my transmission. I just want to make sure it will be ok if I do just the bypass.

·
Premium Member
44,883 Posts
You have 4wd? Do you use it? If so, I wouldnt.

Tranny temps climb in 4wd, especially in 4lo.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have 4wd? Do you use it? If so, I wouldnt.

Tranny temps climb in 4wd, especially in 4lo.
Nah, its just a little 2wd.

·
Premium Member
44,883 Posts
Nah, its just a little 2wd.

Well then its an option but you run a risk, expecially in the summer. Summer op temp of the tran fluid will exceed the coolant temp, thus your tran fluid is cooled through the rad...I'd think your odds are greater in losing the tranny to overheating than a cracked radiator getting coolant into the tranny. The tranny fluid is it's lifeblood, the cooler it runs the better for your tranny.

Is this something you want to think about if you drive a long distance, especially in the summer. Especially with your advanced timing, that engine is running hotter.

On a side note, us beach drivers are required in most places in the northeast to have a fire extinguisher on board to get a permit...you guessed it tranny overheats, leading to broken seals leading to fluid leak on a hot tran and presto!fire on the tranny...

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I bypassed the radiator but am running two external coolers, the OEM one and a second one that I installed in the front grill. Unfortunately, I don't have exact temps other than just reading the gauge, but running on the highway in 70-80 degree weather the gauge reads about 1/3 of the way up and running hard through city driving with high RPM's it reads just below half.

When I was running it through the radiator with just the OEM cooler, it would sit consistently at the halfway point no matter the type of driving.

One thing that I found was this:
Derale 180 Degree Fluid Control Thermostat

I was contemplating adding this as it would guarantee that your fluid would never be too cold.

·
Registered
364 Posts
about the question stated on the top, a lot of 05+ xterra guys does this method and without the additional cooler. so far to them it's been an success.

·
Premium Member
58,286 Posts
One thing that I found was this:
Derale 180 Degree Fluid Control Thermostat

I was contemplating adding this as it would guarantee that your fluid would never be too cold.
The Derale allows the fluid to bypass the external cooler until it reaches a temp of 180° so it will by design keep your transmission fluid temp at 180°. I'd be willing to bet that the middle of our temp gauges is 180°. If that is the case and you install the Derale I don't see what benefit you get unless your temp routinely rises above the middle of the gauge.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
The Derale allows the fluid to bypass the external cooler until it reaches a temp of 180° so it will by design keep your transmission fluid temp at 180°. I'd be willing to bet that the middle of our temp gauges is 180°. If that is the case and you install the Derale I don't see what benefit you get unless your temp routinely rises above the middle of the gauge.
Bypassing the radiator.

·
Premium Member
58,286 Posts
I understand your apprehension about Titan radiators with all the trouble you have had but I've looked over the CSF Radiatior. I'm pretty confident it will last as long as my Titan does.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I understand your apprehension about Titan radiators with all the trouble you have had but I've looked over the CSF Radiatior. I'm pretty confident it will last as long as my Titan does.
I think my CSF got a leak in the transmission fluid portion. I'm over it.

·
Premium Member
58,286 Posts
I think my CSF got a leak in the transmission fluid portion. I'm over it.
Damn! You have miserable luck with radiators. And I parked next to you at Old Town. I hope it didn't rub off on my T.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Damn! You have miserable luck with radiators. And I parked next to you at Old Town. I hope it didn't rub off on my T.
I think my transmission fluid pressure is increased more than the radiators can handle. Why? I don't know, but Robkar mentioned that the Bullydog performance tune increases transmission fluid pressure, but I haven't had my BD on in 10k miles.

As a matter of fact, this all started happening about the time I took my BD off...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys, first time posting here. I just bought my titan (2007 CC 4x4 SE) on thursday, from a dealer, with a radiator leak. fuuuuuuu. Anyways, after quickly discovering the issue with the plastic radiator tanks I ordered the CSF 2-core from stillen. It'll be here wednesday. In the meantime I'm trying to get ready for the install and figure out what else I want to do to the truck at the same time. Here is my plan, items with "?" next to it I am still undecided on.

Flush radiator with old radiator still in place (pull plug from block/rad, add distilled, run, repeat)
Remove old radiator
Drain tranny fluid and install PML high capacity tranny cover, add J-type Nissan tranny fluid
Replace ALL hoses and use injector clamps (radiator and tranny)
Water Pump ?
Thermostat ?
Serpentine belt
Tensioner/idler pulleys ?
Install CSF 2 core and use Nissan coolant
Perform tranny bypass ?
Install a new tranny cooler ?
Diff fluid drain and fill (F&R)
Oil change - god knows what they put in it

I also plan to add a superchips 4862 flashpaq once all of this preemptive maintenance is done. And If I still have maintenance money left over I'll be doing some sort of level kit, likely a bilstein strut kit

I also lost use of a couple buttons on my steering wheel and shifter (the radio up button and the shift up button), from researching it is probably wiring that has chaffed in the steering column

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Why don't you save money on all that bs and get an all aluminum radiator?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why don't you save money on all that bs and get an all aluminum radiator?
Reading really isn't your thing now is it Lubecakes? And Preemptive maintenance isn't BS in my opinion. The most expensive maintenance item on there is a $75 water pump. That's cheap insurance that I won't have to pull everything out again.

Thanks for nothing. Anyone else? Maybe I'll try one of the other titan forums in search of intelligent life.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
looks like a good plan to me. some of the items may be a bit overkill, but as you said, get it all done now while you have it apart.

i dont really see any questions or reasons to reply to any of the other part.

·
Registered
26 Posts
looks like a good plan to me. some of the items may be a bit overkill, but as you said, get it all done now while you have it apart.

i dont really see any questions or reasons to reply to any of the other part.
I guess I am mainly looking for any feedback on any of that maintenance e.g. parts to use, why or why not to bypass the tranny cooler in the rad, recommendations on OEM manufacturers. And then if any has any tips/tricks on any of that maintenance that'd be great as well.

·
Super Moderator
37,027 Posts
Bypassing the transmission would depend on where you live and where you take it. If it gets cold, then that would be a bad thing. The transmission need to have warm fluid for it to work properly.

Depending on the millage replacing the pullys would be over kill.

Replace all the hoses including the little one that you wont see until you pull the fan off, its Under the water pump.

There are some great posts about this process, please review as it will help to better understand the process.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts