Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my radiator cap has started to leak. is there anything i can to about it? its not bad and the coolant level hasnt dropped noticeably but i dont want it to turn into some big deal.

thanks!

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
If it is from the Metal Cap, and is 3 years old, I would replace it. Dealer; or Store will have them, but I found it a bit difficult to find in many stores. Our caps are infamous for leaking. Bend the Metal Tabs just a little bit to make for a tighter fit. Do not use a Cap with a Spring Loaded Center, as our Radiator and Overflow Bottles are all part of the Pressurized system. The Plastic Cap on the Plastic overflow Bottle is the Pressure Relief.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was planning on doing but I didn't want to waist the money if that wouldn't do anything

·
Registered
51 Posts
If it is from the Metal Cap, and is 3 years old, I would replace it. Dealer; or Store will have them, but I found it a bit difficult to find in many stores. Our caps are infamous for leaking. Bend the Metal Tabs just a little bit to make for a tighter fit. Do not use a Cap with a Spring Loaded Center, as our Radiator and Overflow Bottles are all part of the Pressurized system. The Plastic Cap on the Plastic overflow Bottle is the Pressure Relief.
when i changed my oil the other day i noticed some stains/ residue all over the intake tube, engine cover etc. so i started reading up on this. i'm a poor man and baby the shyte outta this truck, but today i got on the freeway and really got on it a few times and when i got home sure enough there was fresh stains and even wet spots. obviously leaking from the cap. i pushed down on the cap and fluid squirted out from under the sticker. truck is five years old and to my knowledge never had that cap replaced. so i guess its not even worth trying to bend this one? just get a new one right? i saw one by stant on rockauto for like $3. anybody using that one? what about the nismo caps? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
779 Posts
take it off and bending the tabs with pliers to make it tighters works, as long as the seal is still good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i'll try bending this one. then i'll try a new oem one. if that don't work i'll try the nismo one despite the price tag. whatever it takes i guess. gettin kinda sick of crappy, feeble parts. crappy hoses, crappy clamps, crappy caps................

·
Registered
51 Posts
this morning i went out and removed the cap to bend it and coolant gushed out when i removed it. the coolant was all the way up the top of the neck. is this normal?

·
Registered
779 Posts
If you would've bled the pressure off the system by opening the reservoir tank first, this wouldn't have happend. So yes, it is normal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
gotcha thanks. the bending of the tabs seems to have worked. no new leaks from the cap however i think there's also a leak from one of the hoses. gonna cut off the end and reclamp it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts