Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, fellas.

I've got a dripping leak from the front end, pretty sure it's the radiator. It's a steady drip, once every 30 sec to 1 minute with the truck off. I started the truck, and no fluid went spewing under the hood or under the truck. But it's been sitting for 2 days and there is a good puddle going all the way to the back of the truck on the driveway.

The fluid is clear with a green tint, so that tells me it's not maticJ, it's coolant, right?

I really need to make a 2.5hr trip to dallas tonight, but I don't want to blow my truck up. Can I put water in the radiator, or does it have to be Nissan coolant?

And as long as the leaky area doesn't expand and fluid blow everywhere, should I be okay to drive as long as I keep an eye on engine temp?

I'll be ordering the CSF aluminum radiator, and already have an external tranny cooler that bypasses the front radiator to install at the same time.

Thanks in advance. I'm really getting sick of finding issues with this truck right before I get ready to make an effing trip.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
You can drive, just accelerate very easily and keep a bunch of gallon waters with you. Just keep the radiator filled. If you see the needle just start to creep up, pull over and insert water. That 2.5 hour trip is going to now take well over 3 hours.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I agree with beason, I wouldn't take the chance, it sounds like it's starting to leak at a decent clip now...

·
Premium Member
58,758 Posts
Beason gives good advice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
can you actually see the leak? the reason i ask is if it is the actual radiator and not one of the hoses you could maybe try that radiator stop-leak that you buy from checker or auto-zone. i personally have never used it but i have heard some successful stories about people using it.

Reactions: LD5050

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Yeah i had some hoses leak too. IMO its worth it to check and see if it's not just a hose. However, knowing the truck, it's probably the radiator....and hoses lol. There is a risk involved, its just weather you want to take that risk, I drove about 45 mins after finding my radiator had cracked. 2.5 hrs is a good bit longer, but I didn't even have to refill in that 45 mins, but I drove very easily....annoying to other drivers I'm sure

·
Super Moderator
36,630 Posts
Some of us know of a certain Titan owner who had a leaky radiator and still took it to the drags. They noticed the leak before his last run after doing about 5 and shooed him off the track. He then drove all the way from North Carolina back to Kentucky after putting some stop leak in. It was a pretty good crack too. :ftard:

YMMV.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
it would be worth it to drop the skid plate and see if you can find the leak. like others stated, it may be a hose. Nissan uses some crappy clamps and not the screw type that hold well.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I parked it, postponed the trip. Ordering a new one tomorrow.

I grew up topping off radiators, but if this one blows catastrophically halfway there, I'm SOL.

Thanks guys, again, the TT voices of reason help keep me in check.

·
Registered
878 Posts
FYI, I ordered my CSF from auto parts warehouse on the 25th and have not got my tracking number. I did contact csf to verify they had them in stock because APW said they were gonna have it shipped from csf directly... if i dont have the info tomorrow im calling about it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts