Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06' has finally succumbed to the infamous oem radiator leak near the bottom, center of tank.

Any proven replacement recommendations including upgraded aftermarket if available?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks nice, but not sure i want to spend that much at this time on this truck.

what is the radiator bypass mod? Using an external tranny cooler versus the radiators internal?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a CSF all aluminum with the radiator bypass mod done with zero issues. Fitmant was excellent!!
YEAH,MAYBE. i do like losing the oem style plastic end tanks. Koyo looks nice too but at least csf gives option of using oem style tranny cooler.

Do you remember who had the best price when you got yours?

·
Registered
31 Posts
That looks nice, but not sure i want to spend that much at this time on this truck.

what is the radiator bypass mod? Using an external tranny cooler versus the radiators internal?
Just use a replacement radiator from Rockauto(Cheap). And skip using the trans line to the radiator. Bypass it. Get a Trans cooler($75), new hose lines($15), new clamps($10). If you want, use the OEM trans cooler as well, now you have 2 places to cool your transmission oil.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up ordering the basic single core koyo from Amazon , price was equivalent to rock autos offerings, and I went with a Japanese manufacture assuming a higher level of quality, as most of thier products.

I happen to have a nice b&m tranny cooler that I pulled off a car I sold many years ago collecting dust in the garage, and thanks for the pics., good for mounting location ideas.

Any pros/cons in bypassing the radiator cooler/heater? Of course I'll still use that monster oem external tranny cooler as well.

·
Premium Member
20,956 Posts
Good move on getting a single row radiator. Fitment will be much easier.

I don't have the radiator bypassed but the route my transmission fluid follows is not normal. Transmission->radiator->OEM cooler->aftermarket cooler->transmission. In cold weather at highway speeds my transmission fluid doesn't come anywhere close to being at operating temperature. One of these days I might do something about it.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to look that up in the manual. Think I'm going to use rad cooler and oem external cooler. Why not? Seems to work well enough although a don't have a tranny temp gauge.

·
Premium Member
20,956 Posts
I blew up my fan, shroud and radiator due to "fitment" issues.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suspect there may be some issues, but do not the manufacturers of the double cores claim they bolt in with minimal issue?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whats up with the foam rubber strips glued down the side of the oem rad.? Purpose? airflow i guess? Anybody have isse not replacing the crap?

·
Premium Member
20,956 Posts
It keeps the air from flowing around the side of the radiator, ensuring it flows through the radiator.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anybody know the size of the transmission cooler hose, inside diameter, off the top of thier head? Decided to replace it all, although only found one piece cracking. Maybe I can pick it up on way home if I don't need to confirm size.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just want to add to this message. I am currently researching radiators and have kicked many options around. I thought I had setteled with the Koyo after I read fitment problems and cost issues with the Stillen or CSF. I found the Koyo on redline360 for $330 shipped and thought that was great, but the more I think about it I just wanted to run some things by the Titan community. The engineers at Nissan have the transmission fluid run through the radiator for a purpose. I hear so many people say that this is the first of 2 coolers. The fluid runs through the radiator to warm it up to operatiing temp so it can then start running through the cooler. I know many people have done the bypass mod and that's what I was going to do if I installed the Koyo, but I kept having this nagging thought about why it goes through the radiator in the first place, to warm it up! Any suggestions as to how to elimunate my doubts would be appreciated. From what I read the Koyo looks like a better built and fit than the Stillen or CSF, I just want a good quality radiator. I'm still running the original from 2004 with 148k miles, but I'm starting to see some green around the top of the tank, don't think it's leaking yet, but I like to fix stuff before it quits. I pull a heavy TT and no temp issues for the engine or transmission, just want to keep it that way. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts