Nissan Titan Forum banner

Radio problem ..solid progress

30K views 150 replies 80 participants last post by  jd1973 
#1 · (Edited)
All,

It is believed the cause of the problem has been identified and the 'fix' is currently being worked. Once the fix is completed and the test completed with stable results the fix will be pushed to owners.

The issue almost duplicates the problem the 350Z radios had when they were released a few years ago. Many 350Z owners had similar complaints with the Bose audio system at the time. In time, Nissan became aware and has fixed this problem as well.

It should be noted that reporting your current radio problem to the dealer will just more than likely result in another radio being ordered for your truck and probably would not fix your problem at this time until the actual 'fix' completes testing and is released inside the new radios.

I will keep everyone posted with more information as I recieve it and will pass how to actually go about getting the work completed at that time.

Till then everyone, keep your chins up and the smiles plastered on your faces as your overall Titan experience will soon be better :cheers:

Chris

See less See more
#3 ·
GREAT news. It was so strange today. I took the truck out for a nice ride and the stereo only did the exorcist thing once in an hour. So strange. Sometimes it is in each song and then today it actually wanted to act normal. The more I drive this truck the more I love it just not the radio. PLEASE keep all of informed and thanks for keeping us posted. My fingers are crossed. :)

#5 · (Edited)
CaliforniaTitan said:
All,

It is believed the cause of the problem has been identified and the 'fix' is currently being worked. Once the fix is completed and the test completed with stable results the fix will be pushed to owners.

The issue almost duplicates the problem the 350Z radios had when they were released a few years ago. Many 350Z owners had similar complaints with the Bose audio system at the time. In time, Nissan became aware and has fixed this problem as well.

It should be noted that reporting your current radio problem to the dealer will just more than likely result in another radio being ordered for your truck and probably would not fix your problem at this time until the actual 'fix' completes testing and is released inside the new radios.

I will keep everyone posted with more information as I recieve it and will pass how to actually go about getting the work completed at that time.

Till then everyone, keep your chins up and the smiles plastered on your faces as your overall Titan experience will soon be better :cheers:

Chris
Chris... Thanks for your info! Did you here this from Nissan or from your dealer? :)

#6 ·
Response from Rockford Fosgate

Subject: [Incident 040313-000018] Titan Rockford Fosgate OEM stereo
---------------------------------------------------------------
Titan Rockford Fosgate OEM stereo

Discussion Thread
Response (Steve) - 03/17/2004 08:12 AM
Henry,

Thanks for contacting us. The FM Radio sound quality problem is a known issue on several vehicles and the Nissan Engineering Team is working on a solution with the radio vendor. Once a countermeasure has been confirmed, Nissan will issue a TSB to all the dealers. Since we are just a vendor we do not have much information on the system set-up. You are encouraged to keep checking with your local Nissan dealership.
If you have any questions please call us at 1-800-669-9899.

progress !!! :cheers:

#7 ·
Nice to see progress!!

Prometheus said:
Subject: [Incident 040313-000018] Titan Rockford Fosgate OEM stereo
Titan Rockford Fosgate OEM stereo

Discussion Thread
Response (Steve) - 03/17/2004 08:12 AM
Henry,

Thanks for contacting us. The FM Radio sound quality problem is a known issue on several vehicles and the Nissan Engineering Team is working on a solution with the radio vendor. Once a countermeasure has been confirmed, Nissan will issue a TSB to all the dealers. Since we are just a vendor we do not have much information on the system set-up. You are encouraged to keep checking with your local Nissan dealership.
If you have any questions please call us at 1-800-669-9899.

progress !!! :cheers:
This confirms what Chris said! Everybody hang in there! They will take care of you (and me if mine ends up with the problem!)

#11 ·
curtisl said:
The head units are manufactured by Clarion.
Only the base XE/SE radio is Clarion. The mid range and RF are not Clarion.

#12 ·
KingTitan said:
Only the base XE/SE radio is Clarion. The mid range and RF are not Clarion.
I HAVE THE upgraded 6 disc system and i took the radio out to see if the antenna was connected and it was clarion. where did you retrieve this info? dealer? this is really weird :huh:

#13 ·
Good to see that Nissan is doing SOMETHING for you guys. Personally, Clarion...Rockford Fosgate = YUCK! But I almost always change out the stereos in my vehicles, so it doesn't weigh much into my decision to buy a Titan.
For the inconvience, do you think Nissan should/would pay for 6-12 months of XM raido :teethmast . That would be cool!

#15 ·
All of them ???

I'm getting ready to head down to my local dealers and do a Titan.

I'm a little confused on this radio proplem. I seems not to matter much if it's a RF system or one of the others according to these posts.

But here's my question - is this problem in ALL the radios Nissan has installed or just some percentage? Is it a design defect in 100% of the head units or more of a quality control issue affecting "some" ?

It would seem strange to me that Nissan would just keep cranking out Titans with known bad radios. Then again, they probably would not shut down Titan production because of radios- would they ?

#16 ·
Stitch said:
I'm getting ready to head down to my local dealers and do a Titan.

I'm a little confused on this radio proplem. I seems not to matter much if it's a RF system or one of the others according to these posts.

But here's my question - is this problem in ALL the radios Nissan has installed or just some percentage? Is it a design defect in 100% of the head units or more of a quality control issue affecting "some" ?

It would seem strange to me that Nissan would just keep cranking out Titans with known bad radios. Then again, they probably would not shut down Titan production because of radios- would they ?

YES, I'm curious is this just a problem with the RF system or
also the "upgraded" stereo in the SE ??? (preferred package w/power captain)

#19 ·
I went to Dealer today and had someone ride with me to hear the "Mono Swith" during the drive. I hadn't even got out of their lot when it hit.

I drove a couple miles and even switched stations showing (listening) him the awful AM type sound. He then told the supervisor who told me he would get with Nissan and let me know something first of next week. The worry I had was when he asked if I had bought my Titan from them and no I did not???

I had called Nissan a couple weeks ago and they told me to get the dealer to report the "problem". That is what we all need to do. I think just us calling is not hitting the "right buttons".

Let Nissan hear the STEREO sound from the dealers calling in around the country....

#20 ·
Wanted to post this on this thread also.

Here is my update on the radio. Every time you call you usually end up with someone new talking to you. Today I had a great person and asked if there was an update on the radio issue. She said she had not heard of it "sound familiar?" but would check for me. She got back with me and said the dealers had been notified of three parts that should be changed out but no final technical bulletin has been done as they are still researching it. I am waiting until they get the FINAL fix, which will be soon from what I hear, and then I will have the dealer fix it. This problem is with not only with the RF but with those of us that have the regular 6 disc stereo system. I know how annoying this problem is but it looks like we are real close to a fix. All of you need to call the dealer and ask them to call the tech line and see what these new fixes are. I want to see that final bulletin that will guarantee the solution. The radio is so strange as some days it acts like it is not possessed but then it happens, the mono from hell. Hang in there guys as I am sure we are soooo close to the answer and the solution!! Also remember not all Titan owners have had this problem which also makes it stranger. Have a great weekend and keep on driving the best truck out there!!

#21 ·
I think mine started today. I spend a lot of time in it today. The "stereo" has never sounded even 1/2 as good as the CD. But then today is seems to start sounding like a clock radio. Turning it off and back on would fix it for a short time, but it would come back. The "stereo" indicator would stay lit, but sounded mono and muffled. Is this the problem everybody's got?

#23 ·
Nope, not fixed :-(

Bonefish said:
I have a Titan LE CC on order. Should be done in about a month. Hopefully the fix will be handled during the building process.

I must say, the Rockford stereo is kickin!
I just picked up my CC SE with pop/bench on the 25th.
Build date on the truck is 03/17/04 (I bought it the day after they unloaded it off the transport truck) The radio problem is there :upsidedow
So, unless something changes at the manufacturing level in the next few weeks, yours will have the "radio problem" too. Sorry.

Chad

#24 · (Edited)
I wouldn't worry too much about it, almost all factory radios stink. I would replace my GL1800 one if I could. Go to Crutchfiled.com, and get a nice one that plays MP3's as well!

I got a nice Panasonic that does just that for $109 for my old Jeep!!

Anyway, my 2 cents. I have a loan approved, now just waiting for my IRS refund, so 2-3 weeks and I'll have a Titan 4x4 XE!

Woot! :cheers:

#25 ·
Tried FM amplifier...Install XM on AUX

Today I bought some various parts at Radio Shack anticipating a cheap fix on the FM problem. Seems that it did not work. However it was nice to take the dash apart to see what is back there. Lots of space.

While in there I installed XM commander to the AUX by splicing into the back side. I did this because FM stinks so I didn't want the XM to do the same thing as FM radio while using FM modulator. It sounds decent alot of mid-range at higher levels (24-30).

Anyone have XM-SAT on the stock unit? How does it sound compared to "Good FM" and CD? Perhaps I'll upgrade when the fix comes out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.