Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up people I was wondering if there was a way to switch some wiring or some mod to fix this. When I'm parked and listening to the radio (its an aftermarket crappy indash from previous owner) and then I go and start my truck the radio restarts. Don't know if it's normal but only reason why it bothers me is because this radio reboot times vary from 2-almost 10 minutes at times. So I'm trying to see if there's a way to wire it to where it doesnt get a power cut when starting the truck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you haven't already, pull it and see if it was installed the correct way wit a plug and play harness adapter or if it was not i.e. spliced into the factory harness.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It's supposed to do that. The accessory wire goes dead when starting. If you noticed erythema accessory does it. The voltage drop caused by starting the truck could damage the radio. Also everything shutting off is less drain on the battery when using the starter.

Reactions: Sw500cal

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you haven't already, pull it and see if it was installed the correct way wit a plug and play harness adapter or if it was not i.e. spliced into the factory harness.
I pulled it a while back when I first bought the truck because the radio would turn off on hard bumps I'm pretty positive it was hooked up with a harness but I'll double check.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's supposed to do that. The accessory wire goes dead when starting. If you noticed erythema accessory does it. The voltage drop caused by starting the truck could damage the radio. Also everything shutting off is less drain on the battery when using the starter.
So you're saying there's no way around it? Every one with an aftermarket radio deals with waiting for the radio to reboot. Well that sucks. I remember my silverado did that. I took it back to the shop and they guy switched some wire and then it stayed on throughout the whole ignition cycle.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
You don't want it to. When your starting the truck the voltage drops because of the current draw from the starter. That can damage the radio. If you are dead set on it. You can connect the acc wire of the radio to an Ign wire that stays hot during starting, but the. It wouldn't work on accessory.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't want it to. When your starting the truck the voltage drops because of the current draw from the starter. That can damage the radio. If you are dead set on it. You can connect the acc wire of the radio to an Ign wire that stays hot during starting, but the. It wouldn't work on accessory.
Then how come radio shops do it? But I don't understand how though if the voltage is dropping not spiking? Sorry not really informed on radios and wiring just know the basics like wiring up an amp, subs and replacing door speakers. How would I go about finding those wires?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Radio shops don't do it. Or at least reputable ones don't.
Low voltage is as bad as to much. To run the radio uses a certain amount of power. I x E =P (I current or amps, E is Voltage, P is power or watts)
Anyway if the voltage drops the current will increase which causes more heat than it's designed for. Low voltage will kill electronics, motors, lights....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts