Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran out of gas today and the gas guage shows quarter tank left, this has happened before so I need to get it fixed. Thinking it may be some kind of stuck float in the tank??? Does anyone know if this would be covered under warranty? I have 40,000 miles on my truck.:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
162,298 Posts
The sending unit is known to play out on our trucks. I doubt you'll get it covered outside of 36k miles without and extended warranty.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I'm on my 3rd sending unit/pump assembly...When mine failed, it stuck at 3/4 tank...I now always re-set my trip meter EVERY tank, I know no matter what at about 280 miles, the low level light should come on and it's time to fill up.

·
Super Moderator
93,870 Posts
Tell me they don't have this problem with the 07's :lol:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
crippeninc said:
I ran out of gas today and the gas guage shows quarter tank left, this has happened before so I need to get it fixed. Thinking it may be some kind of stuck float in the tank??? Does anyone know if this would be covered under warranty? I have 40,000 miles on my truck.:dunno:
The fuel sending unit is integrated with the fuel pump assy,the coverage on your fuel pump is 5 years -60,000 miles.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Make Sure that you don't have a full tank of gas you will loose most of that gas and the dealer will not refill it to where it was, I ran out in the middle of no where in central California, pulling a horse trailer that was loaded with 3 horses. But with mine it was just the fuel gauge not functioning correctly

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Good luck getting the gas out of the tank!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, no good news today. I took my truck in to see why my truck shows a quarter tank when it’s empty. Dealer says the sending unit is bad and will cost over $400.00 to fix it. My warranty won’t cover it since I’m just over 40,000 miles. They said I could contact Nissan and see if I could get it covered. It seems this is a problem with these trucks and I’m surprised it’s not a recall. For me it’s a real safety issue. If you’re on the freeway and you run out of gas, you could end up getting killed if you don’t have any time to get to the shoulder. I know that when these trucks run out of gas, they really run out, not even a sputter to find a safe spot to park. I have a question about technical service bulletins. Will Nissan cover TSB’s if the truck is out of warranty? Or are they like recalls and are always covered? I think I remember someone saying there was a TSB for the sending unit, but I haven’t been able to find it yet. I have to go pick up my truck, as I dont have the money to get it fixed yet, and to top it all off, I have to dish out 99 bucks for the diagnostics.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
loufish said:
...at about 280 miles, the low level light should come on and it's time to fill up.
280????? I get much more than that on a tank. Of course, I do a lot of highway driving.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Per the dealer’s instructions, I called Nissan consumer assurance to see if they could ok my sending unit to be fixed under warranty and was turned down. I gave the lady my story and she seemed very uninterested in my problem, I told her that I’ve owned 4 Nissans and never had any issues until now. She said that the dealer had already applied for a "goodwill" warranty exception and I was denied. So I said, then why would they refer me to you, if you were just going to do the same thing? She didn’t have an answer, just that she couldn’t help me and I could keep my tank topped off to avoid the problem! Real nice huh? I’m only 4000 miles out of my warranty, and they will not fix it. I also noted that I thought this was a safety issue and could be dangerous if it were to happen on a freeway. Anyways, either I’m over reacting or my expectations were too high on getting them to fix my problem. It may seem like a small issue, but things like this will really make me think twice before getting another Nissan.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ive got an 08 Titan and it seems that my light comes on when i still have over 6 gallons of fuel, it will say "0" miles to empty, that really sucks, my 2004 Titan didnt do this. Im going to have to take it in for this also, along with the squeaky passenger side door panel i think, i only have 1600 + miles.

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
chepdog said:
Ive got an 08 Titan and it seems that my light comes on when i still have over 6 gallons of fuel, it will say "0" miles to empty, that really sucks, my 2004 Titan didnt do this. Im going to have to take it in for this also, along with the squeaky passenger side door panel i think, i only have 1600 + miles.[/Q]

I have an 08 also and mine does the same exact thing. Light goes on and you still have 6 gallons of fuel left. The squeak could be the shelf that holds your bluetooth module under the passenger seat. Or it is the bolts on the driver's seat are loose and need to be tightened. I've fixed both of these squeaks on my truck with 11,000 miles on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.