Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw on Autoanything that they had some shocks for the Nissan TITAN for a good price. About $70 a peice. I would of liked to get the Bilstiens but they were close to $200...so I'll settle for something that I think will do the job above what I need it to do. The stock rear shocks suck! Ever since I put the sway bar in...it feels like the ride just got a bit stiffer. Thats because the weight is now evenly distributed across the whole axle. With the crappy shocks...this equals one stiff ride. So I'm going to purchase the shocks and I'll have a full write up on them once installed. Question also, when installing the shocks what part do you jack the truck up? Also, how easy is it to install? If this is a complicated and important install, I'll get it installed somewhere.

·
Premium Member
17,239 Posts
You don't need to jack it up for the rear shocks, although it provides better clearance under the truck. If you rotate your own tires, that would be a convenient time for installing shocks. The only major difficulty is if the nuts/bolts are rusted. If the replacement shocks are stiff, it can take a little umph to compress them for the install. There are two 19 mm bolts on each shock. A breaker bar or impact wrench or a piece of pipe on the end of a ratchet handle will likely do the job, with a 19 mm box wrench on the other end. Maybe spray the ends of the bolts with the nuts with WD-40 or other penetrating oil a while before removal. CRC Freezeoff is supposed to be good for rusted bolt removal. I bought a can but haven't used it yet. You may not have those problems in LA with the unsalted roads. Out of the 4 rear bolts, I had one seized that I had to use an impact wrench.

For the fronts, you need remove the wheel and jack it up. Three small nuts on top and one 19 mm on the bottom. You also need a spring compressor for the coils to replace the shock, or you could take it to a shop with a hydraulic compressor and have them handle it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts