Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Buying a used 2007 Titan SE

Hi there . . . new guy here . . . obviously.

I'm currently driving a 2000 Toyota 4Runner and I'm thinking about purchasing a 2007 Titan SE . . . long time Toyota fan although having my rear differential housing rust through (like many other 4Runner folks) has soured me a bit on Toyota.

Many moons ago (well 1997 to be exact) my wife and I bought a Nissan mini-pick up (back when they didn't have a fancy name like Frontier) and it was wicked reliable . . . only reason we sold it in fact was that my wife mostly drove it and wanted something that drove a little more like a car . . . which is why we ended up with a Subaru.

Anyways, long story short . . . (I have a habit of going on and on . . . so please forgive me) . . . at this point in my life I could really use a pick up more than a SUV for what I do (i.e. hauling ATVs, hauling sleds, hauling firewood, hauling . . . well you get the idea).

So my main question is this . . . in looking at the 2007 is there anything specifically I should be looking at for problem areas or anything I should have the dealership change before buying -- leaking rear axle seals, brakes, etc?

Thanks in advance for helping out the newbie.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: Buying a used 2007 Titan SE

Hi there . . . new guy here . . . obviously.

I'm currently driving a 2000 Toyota 4Runner and I'm thinking about purchasing a 2007 Titan SE . . . long time Toyota fan although having my rear differential housing rust through (like many other 4Runner folks) has soured me a bit on Toyota.

Many moons ago (well 1997 to be exact) my wife and I bought a Nissan mini-pick up (back when they didn't have a fancy name like Frontier) and it was wicked reliable . . . only reason we sold it in fact was that my wife mostly drove it and wanted something that drove a little more like a car . . . which is why we ended up with a Subaru.

Anyways, long story short . . . (I have a habit of going on and on . . . so please forgive me) . . . at this point in my life I could really use a pick up more than a SUV for what I do (i.e. hauling ATVs, hauling sleds, hauling firewood, hauling . . . well you get the idea).

So my main question is this . . . in looking at the 2007 is there anything specifically I should be looking at for problem areas or anything I should have the dealership change before buying -- leaking rear axle seals, brakes, etc?

Thanks in advance for helping out the newbie.
Welcome to the forum. I believe that between 2004 and 2006 there was a problem with the rear axle seals, fixed in 2007. In 2008-2010, there were further updates so I'd go with a 2008 or later if you can find one of those. The 2007 is definitely an improvement on the 2004 series, but the 2008 and beyond will be even better.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts

Awesome. I used to have a 99 4runner. Basically the same as you have I imagine. I think you will be more than happy going from the 4runner to the titan. I am. Tons of more power, room and versatility. Gas mileage wont differ too much. You sound like you already know what to look for. Brakes, rear axle[every aspect of it] and manifolds I think.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

Make the move, I did. I traded in my 97 4Runner for an 04 Titan CC and have loved it ever since.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

Make the move, I did. I traded in my 97 4Runner for an 04 Titan CC and have loved it ever since.
Sharp truck!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts

Rolling a 07 with 7" lift. Love the truck. Lots of room, tons of power and FUN. Really dependable. Only upgrade I believe it really needs is brakes. If you get an 07, opt to make your first upgrade to the 08 brake system. Welcome to the webs best Titan forum with the most knowledgeable folks around. ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for the replies folks . . . still just looking at this point, but I have to admit I really like the look of this truck compared to most other trucks out there.

Is it safe to assume that by 2007 issues with leaking radiators and broken shackles were fixed?

Again, thanks for the input on what to look for.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts

I just recently traded my 07 SE for a 2011 pro4x and I can honestly say it was a great truck with 0 issues. Not one the entire time and seemed quicker than my pro4 and was a smoother ride. My pro4x gets worse MPG, clunks over speed bumps and rides rougher but I thinks this is because of the level, rancho shocks, and is a bit heavier.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts

The radiators where not fixed and shackles where beefed up in 2008. PRG sells some beefy replacement (adjustable) shackles for a bit over $100 I believe. The radiators suck bad, I haven't seen too many posts about the radiators recently (but I'm not on as much). There was while there where it seemed like everyone had a cracked radiator. The 2007 also still has the weaker rear end, however, few 2007's have had much trouble, mainly the 04's and 05's had that problem. Brake judder is possible, upgraded brakes where in 2008. The 2007 is the year they gave the truck the slightly revised VVT motor with a few more ponies. Overall great truck, I've had Toyota, Dodge, and currently chevy as a work truck. The Titan was the best in my book. The toyota was reliable, but I didn't bond with a truck like I did the Titan, just something about this truck....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hmmm . . . sounds like I might do OK with the 2007, but the 2008 seems to get a few more nods as to being a better truck . . . which is interesting since my wife was looking today for the heck of it and she found a 2008 XE that is comparable in price to the 2007 SE which makes me ask the following . . .

Which would you consider the better deal if the price is close . . . a 2007 SE with 58,000 or so miles or a 2008 XE with 23,000 miles (I should add that the XE is also certified).

Again, thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

i personally would go with the 08 XE given they are both the same body style, drive train, and condition. depends on options and all sorts of things but the low mileage is huge contender imo. i dont care much about gadgets though...plus, its an 08. many upgrades between 07 and 08

·
Registered
9,557 Posts

Hmmm . . . sounds like I might do OK with the 2007, but the 2008 seems to get a few more nods as to being a better truck . . . which is interesting since my wife was looking today for the heck of it and she found a 2008 XE that is comparable in price to the 2007 SE which makes me ask the following . . .

Which would you consider the better deal if the price is close . . . a 2007 SE with 58,000 or so miles or a 2008 XE with 23,000 miles (I should add that the XE is also certified).

Again, thanks for your opinions.
An 07 would probably do you just fine. Heck, my 04 was great...once you got past the bad brakes and new rear end...lol.

For 08, upon other things, the upgrades were a better screwed together interior with minor upgrades, larger axles and bigger and better brakes. It also has the new stronger rear shackles and suspension upgrades. So price and options could probably be a deciding factor.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts

My 04' is a beast... I just did a full fluid change on it for its 100,000 check up and the rear end fluid was dark but showed no signs of large metal deposits, my manifolds aren't cracked, my brakes are doing fine... although I did have to replace the rotors last winter and my radiator began to leak but I did a simple stop leak on it so it can hold up until I get a full aluminum one. All in all, my truck has 100,800 on the odometer and shows no signs of quitting.

I don't know what relevance this post showed but I guess just to say that my old timer first year Titan can still keep up with you younger trucks! :) lol

·
Registered
12,665 Posts

If the 08 XE has the 6 disc player, power windows/locks, and rear slider (power), then go for the 08 no questions. And just for reference, my 2005 spent a lot of time on the track, and driven very hard. It was also incredibly reliable. I had a radiator blow and thats it. However, I did upgrade the rear end before it broke.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts

Oh and BTW, I don't know if speed is your thing, and I can't explain the reason other than F'd up engine management changes, but my 04 was a SCREAMER compared to my 08. That was one fast truck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I'm back . . . went to look at the XE only to discover someone apparently also thought it was a good deal and bought it before I could test drive it.

Last night I looked at the 2007 SE . . . and have to say I liked it.

I am wondering once again though . . . what are the Achilles Heal(s) with this truck . . . and what can be done to reduce the likelihood of a major breakdown. I mean I realize all vehicles can break (trust me I know this -- even the legendary Toyotas can break) . . . but what are the weak points and what modifications or changes can be done to minimize the risk of having a catastrophic failure 5,000 miles after I buy it? For example, in reading this thread and other threads it seems as though many folks say the axle seal issue has been minimized . . . but by doing the rear axle seal mod this should make the axle much less likely to give out.

As always, thank you for offering up your opinions.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts

I think by 2007 the only thing not really upgraded was the brakes....even though they were changed from the bad ones on the 04/05s. The rear end and suspension was beefed up even more on the 08s but the bad rear diffs were upgraded by 07 as was, I believe, the front axle/diff issue. You also have the variable valve timing which started in 2007. I don't know though about the axle seal issues other than my belief that the 08s have been fine. I don't think I'd worry too much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts