Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan on changing the rear and front differentail oil along with the transfer case oil for the first time tonight and I am wondering if anyone could throw in any advise on oil and how many qts are needed from experience. Right now Im looking at Valvoline 80W-90 synthetic for front and Mobile 1 75W-140 synthetic for the rear and not sure for the transfer case.

·
Premium Member
20,684 Posts
From the AMSoil web site:
Differential, Rear..........4.4 pints
Differential, Front..........3.4 pints
Transfer Case,..........4.2 pints

The transfer case is ATF. I run a 75w-90 in the front differential.

Reactions: d0va

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I bought two quarts of Mobil for the rear differential, and the oil level was maybe an 1/8" below the plug opening. Just make sure you squeeze out all the oil from both plastic containers.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I run the Nissan Synthetic in the rear differential, but only because I haven't had anymore axle seals leak since the one they changed at 37K miles, and filled the differential with their Synthetic 75W-140, so it seems compatible with the seals. They couldn't get a good seal on the diff cover so ended up changing the fluid several times, and eventually gave me the new finned cover at 93 K miles. I've done it once since ... stuff's expensive.

Previously, I used the 80W-90 in the rear diff too as it was spec on the '04, and still use it for the front ... Schaffer's Synthetic blend #267 Supreme Gear Lubricant, but it doesn't look like they sell it in quarts anymore. Bought a couple of cases when I first got the Titan. Its claim to fame was the high moly additive pak that supposedly strengthens the metal, and the pics of the eggbeater test that they used to have on bobistheoilguy where the #267 climbs up the beater, while the fuel synthetic Amsoil just sat there.

Transfer case ... always have used Matic D inexpensive and works great. Also use it for my power steering, (turkey baster drain and fills).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I went with Valvoline 75W-140 Synthetic in both rear and front and for the transfer I just went with dealer recommended oil from Nissan since I get it all at cost from my dad who works there. Both front and rear only held 2.5qts each and I could feel the oil with my pinky, is that normal? The old oil was in pretty bad shape, I attached some photos of my drain plugs. Also Im glad I did the air intake mod and replaced my filter with a K&N today, the attached picture will explain why.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,684 Posts
That air filter is pretty nasty but the plugs look relatively normal. If you have the in-cabin air filters you should check those too. If you don't have them then you can add them. The differential level should come up to just below the fill plug level unless you have the Mag-Hytec differential cover.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I went with Valvoline 75W-140 Synthetic in both rear and front and for the transfer I just went with dealer recommended oil from Nissan since I get it all at cost from my dad who works there. Both front and rear only held 2.5qts each and I could feel the oil with my pinky, is that normal? The old oil was in pretty bad shape, I attached some photos of my drain plugs. Also Im glad I did the air intake mod and replaced my filter with a K&N today, the attached picture will explain why.
Are you sure the rear held 2.5 quarts? As I posted earlier, my rear differential held 2 full quarts, and that put the level at 1/8" below the plug hole. I drained it for 10 minutes while it was warm, so that pretty much got most of it out. 2.5 quarts would be 5 pints.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure the rear held 2.5 quarts? As I posted earlier, my rear differential held 2 full quarts, and that put the level at 1/8" below the plug hole. I drained it for 10 minutes while it was warm, so that pretty much got most of it out. 2.5 quarts would be 5 pints.

It was right around 2.5 qts at pinkys touch not sure on the exact measurement that's just how I've been told to check the level. I drove it for about a hour running around town came home let it set for 15 min then drained.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Why is there different gear oil for the front? Shouldn't the 75/140 synthetic be fine in both the front and the rear?

I would go with the recommended fluid weights.

The front and rear differential are two different components and different designs. The rear runs all the time and is the full rear axle. The front is only engaged in 4x4 and not a solid axle.

Reactions: finallygotmeaTitan

·
Premium Member
20,684 Posts
The front does turn all the time. It just isn't under power (from the transfer case). So it doesn't need as much viscosity as the rear.

Reactions: Pickle-Smooch

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
A couple of questions I didn't see mentiioned here yet. Is the fluid in the transfer case completely seperate from the tranny beings they are bolted together? And secondly, I live in Nebraska where it gets freaking cold in winter and freaking hot in summer. Now I know what all the recommendations say for the Titans as far as fluids to use but is there some better to use in thees extreme conditions. Since they (Titans) are 12 years old now, I am sure there has been some tried and tested info someone can share. Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm in NE, Transmission and Transfer Case fluids totally seperate. I use Valvoline Max Life Synthetic ATF in the transfer case and transmission, it meets the Nissan Spec. Don't neglect the transfer case that oil gets used in there and everytime I change it i'm surprised how dark it gets! I use the recomended weights for the front and rear diff, also Synthetic Valvoline. No problems. Have you done the rear axle vent mod? I'd recomend that. I tow regular and change the rear diff and spill and fill the transmission every spring.

·
Premium Member
20,684 Posts
Transmission and differential fluids are completely separate. If they start to mix you have big problems.

I live in Colorado. I can't see it getting any colder here than in Nebraska. I run AMSOil 0w-30 engine oil year round on a 10k mile oil change interval. No problems.

I've run AMSOil transmission fluid and the OEM Nissan Matic S. I'm not seeing any difference in shifting or performance. My transmission fluid gets changed about every 30k miles because I tow.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
80w90 would be just fine in the rear axle, like so many other rear axles through the ages. The only reason they specify 75/140 is due to the number of rear axle failures with the Titans over the years......It's a band aid fix in my opinion.

Either way, I'm currently running 85/140 "dino" oil in the rear and will be using 80w90 "dino" up front when the front diff goes back in.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Either way, I'm currently running 85/140 "dino" oil in the rear and will be using 80w90 "dino" up front when the front diff goes back in.
yup, I`m now running 85/140 Lucas Dino with the spartan locker.

I`ll see how well it holds up after a few towns and a dump n fill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts