Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 titan without tow package, truck came with factory receiver hitch and trailer plug harness. I pull a Trail cruiser 26ft light weight camper, dry weight3,500 lbs. I was told by my dealer that my truck has 2.9 axle ratio. I need to change to 3.3 axle ratio . Can anybody help with this info. I was told by dealer that I cannot purchase the gear set . Truck turns 2,[email protected] in 4th gear automatic. Problem going up hills ,looses 15mph and down shifts to 3rd. My 2002 Pathfinder with 3.5 v-6 only lost 5mph pulling same trailer but was turning 3,400rpms at 68mph in 3rd gear with 4speed auto. Very dissapointed in Titan considering it has a 7,000 towing capacity verses 5,000 on my Pathfinder.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Your other truck had a 4 speed, with a 5 speed it will shift more by nature.
Towing up hills in 3rd gear is the norm for most people, so don't fret too much. Also the Titan was made to rev when needed to.
You won't be able to find another gear set because Nissan doesn't sell them...

·
Registered
62 Posts
As Lou noted, you have a 5-speed transmission. Drive is 5th, and an overdrive ratio. Just tow in 4th, and downshift to 3rd if needed; it's better for the transmission that way as well.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
seecuyer said:
I have a 2006 titan without tow package, truck came with factory receiver hitch and trailer plug harness. I pull a Trail cruiser 26ft light weight camper, dry weight3,500 lbs. I was told by my dealer that my truck has 2.9 axle ratio. I need to change to 3.3 axle ratio . Can anybody help with this info. I was told by dealer that I cannot purchase the gear set . Truck turns 2,[email protected] in 4th gear automatic. Problem going up hills ,looses 15mph and down shifts to 3rd. My 2002 Pathfinder with 3.5 v-6 only lost 5mph pulling same trailer but was turning 3,400rpms at 68mph in 3rd gear with 4speed auto. Very dissapointed in Titan considering it has a 7,000 towing capacity verses 5,000 on my Pathfinder.
sounds like he is towing with the Cruise on - maybe he needs to push the pedal on the right a little sooner :jester:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Step on the gas even with out tow package the motor alone has enough power to pull a light weight trailer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts