Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
So I've got an 08.5 T, The right rear axle is bent and i'm trying to pull the thing out, problem is that It won't budge! I've got the e brake stuff off, the 4 bolts for the bearing cage undone and i've been going at it with a slide hammer for the last hour or so now...It's getting really irritating messing with the thing and i'm ready to give it up and take it somewhere once the last part arrives and let them have the headache. Not exactly the way I like to roll. Any ideas or suggestions? It feels like something has the thing locked in there, but nothing is left that could have it locked!
Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, It took a buddy and I over 4 hours to work this thing out..It was rusted in there around the oil seal, as well as fighting the bent issue. It was a pain in the rear, but we finally got it out! Thanks for the input bestatchess. The creativity of a slide hammer combined with using a ratchet strap and 2x4.

·
Premium Member
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked my Dad about the fluid in there, It smelled like gear oil, dirt, and like a musty old house. He finally got back to me and said maybe water got in there. Think it's possible that when it bent, it allowed water to get in there? It took us so long to get out of there, and the one picture where it's hanging there, it almost looks like it was partially rusted in as well.

Sorry about the crummy quality, cell phone...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Sure looks like water got in. Is the bore for the bearing and seal clean and smooth now?

You can caulk the outer perimeter of the new seal with RTV before you install the new shaft.

Just noticed that you have the oem check valve vent. You might want to do the hose vent mod if you run in deep water now and then.

·
Premium Member
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The inner bearing race is still stuck in the tube, I'm going to run to autozone and see if they have a puller of some sort to get it out. Everything else is clean and smooth though, I'll let you know once I get that out of the tube, it is tweaked a bit though and not sitting flat, so I hope nothing else is damaged.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The inner bearing race is still stuck in the tube, I'm going to run to autozone and see if they have a puller of some sort to get it out.
If there is no rust ridge holding it, you should be able to work it out with your fingers. Maybe freeze spray on the race to shrink it a bit would work work if it is stuck, I dunno.

·
Premium Member
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, that's what all the bearing stuff looks like. There's no rust holding it in, it's tweaked though pretty good. I'm going to run out and take a quick pic of it. I just got off the phone with my uncle and he said to take a torch and just heat it up, and once it cools it'll shrink and should pull right out.

·
Premium Member
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also just noticed what you had mentioned about the breather, I think I will hit up that mod for the just in case theory. I have only had it partially submerged a few times screwing around at my buddies farm. But I was looking at it yesterday and it's caked and pretty nasty, so off to the store I go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Need a bit of info guys, I have my axle all pressed and ready to go back in but
i am not sure if this race should or should not be inside the axle housing or if its part
of the old seal and bearing broke inside.

This is on an 09 Titan

Looks like the bearing should sit on this race any ideas?

Pic below on link.

https://postimg.org/image/fnfscgy8f/

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Looks like the old bearing race, and it's worn from the old (bad) bearing, too. You should have received a new race with your new bearing. Swap it out.

Reactions: Eternalblu

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like the old bearing race, and it's worn from the old (bad) bearing, too. You should have received a new race with your new bearing. Swap it out.
That's kind of what i was thinking, there is a pretty good edge between the race. Should it be completely flat in there? It feels like there is almost 2 races pushed together.

I ordered an assembled axle from dana complete with bearings but no race was sent that i can see. Just the assembled axle sadly.

Took a few more pics.

https://s23.postimg.org/cxcdlq9h7/IMG_0561.jpg

https://s27.postimg.org/3tv3t8k43/IMG_0560.jpg

https://s29.postimg.org/bom8twl2v/IMG_0559.jpg

https://s24.postimg.org/vy4i3i88l/IMG_0558.jpg

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
That's just one race, and it needs replacing. You'll need to find a parts house which sells only the race or ding your axle supplier for one.

Reactions: Eternalblu

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
The race shouldn't be terribly hard to remove, though it is a relatively tight press fit. I believe you can get a race removal tool and get it out.

The link you posted is a differential bearing race. I think that's for the chunk, not the axle bearings.

Posy a pic of your new axle assembly out by the hub, where the bearing is. If you don't see the rollers of the bearing, your new race is on the bearing. If you see the rollers, you're going to need a new race.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The race shouldn't be terribly hard to remove, though it is a relatively tight press fit. I believe you can get a race removal tool and get it out.

The link you posted is a differential bearing race. I think that's for the chunk, not the axle bearings.

Posy a pic of your new axle assembly out by the hub, where the bearing is. If you don't see the rollers of the bearing, your new race is on the bearing. If you see the rollers, you're going to need a new race.

Going to grab a few more pics, Ye it is hard to say as that almost looks like the machined factory
axle housing. When i pulled my old shaft everything was exploded not even on the shaft anymore there was bearings all over the place in the housing and twisted metal galore even the cage from the old bearing was mangled. Im thinking the old race was completely busted out and mangled as well.

I put the the slide hammer on the edge inside of the housing and it wont budge one bit and its very cold out -30 here it would be quite shrunk i think and come out no problem which is making me wonder if that's just the smooth bore of the axle housing where a new race would sit.

My new bearing that is on the new shaft is sealed cant see the rollers at all so it must already be on the new bearing.

Grabbing pictures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
*Bump* Really need more info on this if possible.

* Confirmed old race is stuck inside housing *

What is the best way to get this out?

Grinder with cutting disc and chisel?
or Find a race puller?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts