Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys have a problem and thought I'd ask for some expert advice as this forum always offers the best and I appreciate it!! I'm about to start a trek back to my home state of CO from my temp station MD, so I took the truck into the shop on base for an oil change and tire rotation before I leave on Wed. The mechanics there found that my Right Rear Axle has started a very small leak, from what he says its just barely noticeable by smell and very little actual liquid/oil. Problem is I called the dealership to see what the ETA on a job like that would be and they said at least a couple days as they need to order parts and all that jazz. Is it unwise of me to try and drive my Titan back home to save time and get it looked at once I get there with a minor leak like this?? Feel free to tell me straight up as I don't know a thing about this, but would really like to get home ASAP after bein in training for 4 months! ;) Thanks guys!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you said a very small leak?? I say relax and go home. It will take months for a small leak like that to develop into anything that you should be concern about. Keep an eye on it at least once a week, once you get home call the dealer and take it in for them to look at it. They will order the necessary parts to get your truck back on the road. If you're concern about the seal blowing apart... relax it won't it's a slow painful leak. So relax and enjoy the ride home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know how it feels.
Anyway. Before you get rolling, unscrew the breather an clean it out. They tend to corrode shut and the air can not escape the rear axle housing as it warms up forcing the oil past the seal. Many times there is no further repair needed unless the e-brake shoes are full of oil already or the diff is making noises.

Have a save trip.

Rich

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it!! I'm just gonna drive on tom then, just too bad the weather couldn't be anymore in my favor! :)

·
Super Moderator
162,264 Posts
You'll be fine. Just have a safe trip. When you get back, have them check BOTH seals. If they'll go ahead and order the parts, it will only take them a day.

Some have speculated that the vent is the issue here. Might be. My service advisor (who has been GREAT for me and the truck) told me that if you drive a Titan and you told him you hadn't had an axle seal leak, he'd call you a liar. He also told me that he hasn't personally seen one come back in after being replaced though. He wasn't sure if they were replacing with a different part number than the OEM one or not, but I'm hoping that he's right in that it won't go out again.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts