Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 LE CC 4x4 non BT and had it into Nissan and they stated that both seal were leaking and when they removed diff cover there was water mixed in with fluids. Their recommendation is total replacement for 4k. Obviously that's happening. I've seen that the 08+ are direct replacement for 04-06 as long you match gears, locker etc. Does the wheelbase or 4wd or 2wd come into play? I've found an 08 with 2.937 gears like mine with no locker but it's for 159 wheel base. I'd think there is no difference but want to make sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I can't imagine a difference in the axle due to the truck wheelbase. The only issue might be a need to swap the diff flange if there is a difference from one wheelbase to another, but that's a simple job and would add almost nothing to the labor required.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'm definitely matching what I currently have. I don't want any other issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't imagine a difference in the axle due to the truck wheelbase. The only issue might be a need to swap the diff flange if there is a difference from one wheelbase to another, but that's a simple job and would add almost nothing to the labor required.
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure wheelbase wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
2wd and 4wd had same wheel base, even KC and CC have the same wheelbase. Only a long bed changes wheelbase on the titan, but even then, they ALL use the exact same axle.

I have noticed when comparing 2wd and 4x4 rear axles next to each other. The rear spring perch that is welded onto the rear end is taller (protrudes further away from the axle) on the 4x4 axle. Im guessing thats how they lift the 4x4's a little higher but still use the same leaf springs for both models.

·
Premium Member
20,950 Posts
I could be off base but I can't imagine that water in the differential is a catastrophic issue. Replace the bearings, seals and fluid and you should be good. And then make sure you do the axle vent mod, running the line up into the tail light compartment to ensure you never get water in the axle again.

Reactions: TheeKB and nightowl

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, that's what I kept finding but confirmation before moving forward with possible axle swap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@gr8vfr and HRTKD, that's actually what it went in for and but after draining diff fluid they called and said because water that was in diff that the axle wouldn't last with just seal replacements and fluid and they were strongly pushing whole axle replacement. I honestly thought that just doing seals and bearings with complete drain and refill would suffice but they were against it so I had them refill and got the truck back. They wanted 521 to do just driver side seal and around 1k to do both, I can get a 2010 axle with 62k miles for 750. so to me it was smarter choice to get a better axle for less money. I still haven't made a decision but it seems like no one in Jax FL area wants to touch seals except Nissan for whatever reason. Thanks for your thoughts as well.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
They want to replace the entire axle because they dont do axle work. They just order crate axles from the Nissan plant by the dozen. Just like back in 04-07 when people were blowing them up left and right, they werent just replacing the carriers or ring and pinions with new bearings, they did full crate axles because they made more money on them, and they were faster and easier to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no doubt and they may trick some people into that but I'm not spending 4k for rear axle from Nissan when you can get the same axle slightly used for 3k less.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Yeah Nissan replaced a whole rear axle under warranty on my 05 for a passenger rear leaking seal. LOL I gladly welcomed that at 56k miles and the axle assembly was $2800 not $4k.

Pull tires off and loosen the axle retainer bolts
Drain rear diff fluid and pull the cover.
Pull axle clips and then you can pull the axles out
Grind bearing races off with cut off wheel
And replace races, seals and bearings.

$500 labor is true but that is a dam rip off once you do a set and see what's involved. Get a manual and do it yourself that what you save $$$ and know it's done right. Get a Cajun axle vent kit also...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts