Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the passenger side axle seal go on Tuesday. The dealership fit me in this morning and had the job done by 1:00. I had them inspect the diff for damage while they had things on the lift as I wanted the fluid changed anyways. They flushed it and reprted back minimal perticulates and that the fluid looked normal. I tow a 7500lb travel trailer and a 2000lb boat quite frequently through the summer. I was quite pleased with the news. FWIW this was the first time the diff fluid was changed in 38,000 miles. When they took it for a test drive a CE light came up and they also had to replace a valve on the evap system. Timing is everything I guess!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here is some good news about a differential! With so many posts about differential failures it’s nice to hear about one that’s been used and not having any problems.

It does make you wonder what the problem is. While I have not had any problems with mine, I’ve somewhat contemplated getting the True Trac just as a preemptive measure. I really don’t lavish the idea of towing my tractor and being stuck along the side of the road, in heavy traffic, or in the middle of nowhere with the rig and having to pay to get it all towed. Plus the True Trac would eliminate the limited slip deferential issues.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
If you saw some of the videos of guys doing donuts and nailing it out of a turn, you might get an idea why some are failing. That sentence was not meant to piss anyone off. I do understand that some have failed during regular use.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It only takes a few seconds to look for a leak. I looked today, and found the driver's side now leaking. HAD THE PASSENGER'S SIDE REPLACED LAST YEAR. So take a few minutes and check yours. I check everytime I wash my truck.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
sudden urge said:
If you saw some of the videos of guys doing donuts and nailing it out of a turn, you might get an idea why some are failing. That sentence was not meant to piss anyone off. I do understand that some have failed during regular use.
Another funny is the ones doing all the racing are not having any failures either. These things are failing at random. A friends failed at 2800 miles and he never floored the truck since he bought it. Dont be fooled by posters claiming these things are failing because of bad boys racing their Titans. The failures are Nissan and Danas fault. If you get a good one, feel lucky. I have read quite a few posts of people who had made it to 30-50k and thought they were home free only to hear a clunk and call a tow truck. You can get comfortable when you install your new Tru-Trac.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
""I have read quite a few posts of people who had made it to 30-50k and thought they were home free only to hear a clunk and call a tow truck.""

I haven't heard of one person whos diff actually failed....meaning they weren't able to drive the truck. Mine was replaced a couple months ago (30+k) but only because I found a larger than normal chunk in the diff oil. Most groan, whine, or clunk. Luckily though, those that have had to tow them were few and most of those did so only because they were afraid to drive it, not because it just stopped in its' tracks. I think I'd go for the tru trac myself but I'm not about to give up my factory locker.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
""I have read quite a few posts of people who had made it to 30-50k and thought they were home free only to hear a clunk and call a tow truck.""

I haven't heard of one person whos diff actually failed....meaning they weren't able to drive the truck. Mine was replaced a couple months ago (30+k) but only because I found a larger than normal chunk in the diff oil. Most groan, whine, or clunk. Luckily though, those that have had to tow them were few and most of those did so only because they were afraid to drive it, not because it just stopped in its' tracks. I think I'd go for the tru trac myself but I'm not about to give up my factory locker.
I guess I consider it not drivable and a good candidate for a tow truck if it goes clunk-clunk-clunk. Kind of like pulling the pin on a grenade, don't blow right away but there is a good chance it will soon .

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
TallTexan said:
I guess I consider it not drivable and a good candidate for a tow truck if it goes clunk-clunk-clunk. Kind of like pulling the pin on a grenade, don't blow right away but there is a good chance it will soon .
I'd have it towed too if mine did that, I don't blame you. Most didn't though. Most started with a simple whine or noise of some type. Again, not many had their rear diff "fail" on them, although it has happened I'm sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts