Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm gonna bring my truck in to have the rear axle seal fixed under warranty. from what i've read, they're supposed to replace the the whole shaft assembly with the seal, correct? mine is a big tow and offroad package truck.. are the axle shafts any different from non-BT trucks? i know the rear end is geared differently on a BT truck than a non-BT truck. anybody know off hand if i need a particular or specific shaft assembly? something different from non-BT or OR packaged trucks. thanks...

·
Super Moderator
160,795 Posts
They replaced only the seals on mine. The axles aren't any different from BT to non-BT. My seals were replaced at about 12k miles. I now have 63k and they haven't leaked again.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
They apparently have an internal bulletin about replacing shaft/seal/bearing as a unit and are apparently pushing customers to buy new shafts. Not sure if dealers are doing that for warranty purposes as bearing = $27 retail and seal = $7 retail and the shafts are reusable unless the shaft is damaged or has a wear groove from the seal. The shafts are the same, except for the e-locker, which has one shaft that has a different length. (driver and passenger side shafts are not the same length).

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm... mine's got a locker... it's the pass. side that's leaking btw. i wonder if they order/use the parts required based on the VIN#. that would tell em what the truck has..

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I think the 2007 right side (passenger side) shaft for the e-locker is 38164N A60002 $256.57 at courtesyparts.com

I can't figure out a direct link, but go to www.courtesyparts.com and paste 38164-A60002 into the part number search box and click SUBMIT it will pull it up.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, thanks for the info. if mine requires a new shaft, i'm not payin for it!

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Yeah, I didn't go for it either. It cost me $20 to get the bearing pressed on, so it is $200 cheaper to reuse the old shaft.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine's still under warranty so i shouldn't have to pay anything. they're also gonna do the fuel sender recall while it's there. bringing it in tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
160,795 Posts
Have them do the IPDM relay recall too, while it's there. If it applied to you, of course.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Went to the dealer today and my right rear seal is leaking. The truck has 99000 miles on it thought the rear end is fairly new (about 40k on it). They want to replace the seal, bearing, and axle shaft. $872 including labor F-me!!! Funny how I had it in 5 months ago and they quoted me 350+ with no axle replacement. They want 600 just for the right axle which like any other Nissan OEM part(way over priced!!)

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Went to the dealer today and my right rear seal is leaking. The truck has 99000 miles on it thought the rear end is fairly new (about 40k on it). They want to replace the seal, bearing, and axle shaft. $872 including labor F-me!!! Funny how I had it in 5 months ago and they quoted me 350+ with no axle replacement. They want 600 just for the right axle which like any other Nissan OEM part(way over priced!!)
$27 bearing, $7 seal, and $20 to get the bearing pressed on. At least take it somewhere besides the dealer. These are exactly like Dana 44 axle shafts in Jeeps. Any 4x4 shop can replace the seal & bearing with ease.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-howto-area/123384-replacing-axle-seals-w-pics.html

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
When I was looking at trucks one I was looking at had leaking seals. I went to Nissan to see how they would address this and they said they'd only replace the seal unless there was any other obvious damage. If you're out of warranty I'd do as others suggest and take it to a 4 wheelin place and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
they're doing the whole shaft assembly on mine. i guess that's how nissan wants to handle them... before, they were just doing the seal and bearing, but i guess nissan changed it.

what's the IPDM relay recall. any info on that? i haven't received any letters from nissan about that one.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
A $2.46 relay in the IPDM box behind the battery. The relay powers the ECM, so it can cause the truck to stall or not start when it fails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts