Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2010 Titan SE new from a local dealer in October 2010. I currently have 6500 miles on the truck. When I turned 3500 miles and right about the time salt trucks started hitting the roads mid December 2010, the rear chrome bumper began to freckle rust on the right and left sides. I do take care of my vehicles, but anyone from midwest Ohio knows its difficult in the winter months. With that said, washing, waxing and constant care still did not keep the bumper clear of rust onset. Currently fighting the delearship and warranty b/c surface rust isn't covered...I have to say the delearship, after knowing I was getting frustrated, ordered a new bumper at their cost but I have yet to get a call to have it installed. That's great, and I appreciate it but what if the rust starts back on the new bumper...? Is Nissan getting lame with their chrome finish treatments and using technicalities to avoid dealing with issues? Whats the next step? How long do I wait for them to make it right?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I have a 2004 with chrome bumpers. I live in Northern WI. Salt on the roads from roughly November thru April. No rust on mine. The problem seems sporadic on this forum. Maybe a bad batch of metal on a select few?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today the dealer put a new bumper on. At their cost though and as a measure of customer service, not as a warranty replacement. I know had the dealer not stepped up, Nissan would not have approved a replacement. Hopefully this is just a one time issue...but only time will tell.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
T
Today the dealer put a new bumper on. At their cost though and as a measure of customer service, not as a warranty replacement. I know had the dealer not stepped up, Nissan would not have approved a replacement. Hopefully this is just a one time issue...but only time will tell.
That's not a common issue around here. Hopefully it was a one time deal... But if it happens again, your truck might need the influence of titantalk. Bedliner, the official drug of tt. Only reason I say that is because the can says stops rust.

·
Premium Member
20,938 Posts
Put a heavy layer of car wax on the chrome. That helps but it may not completely prevent the rust spots. Also be sure you wash the entire vehicle as soon as possible after the streets are clear.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
2010 w/7700 miles... same problem- washed weekly, quik detailer weekly and waxed regularly. Go figure?:crying:

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2010 SE has rust on the right hand side above the exhaust. The dealer is getting me a new bumper, but I suspect the replacement will have the same problem eventually. I will try to keep wax applied and hope for the best.

·
Registered
370 Posts
ok, to let all you know. its not realy rust coming through your bumpers. The road salts that states use has Iron and other metals that Rust as the salt melts, this DIRT left on your paint and any part starts to in fact Rust. It looks like you have rusty stone chips on the paint. it happens all the time. Look on a white car right now. it looks like rusty spots. its the Dirt with lots of Iron Deposits on it. The best way to rid of this is to Clay bar and then 3 coats of Griots Sealer. as for the chrome, liquid chrome cleaner works great .

I shined up my exhaust and then as soon as the salt sprays, you see the iron already leaching a rusty film.

·
Premium Member
20,938 Posts
I think there is more to it than that. It's not just on the surface. I've used clay bars and polish as well as a number of other products to try and get rid of the rust-like spots. I have yet to eliminate all of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to go along with HRTKD. Since I've had the bumper replaced, there has been no sign of the surface corrosion. I have learned a few things since it has been replaced.
1. The surfaces on these bumpers include more nickel and are more prone to reaction with road salts compared to dipping processes of previous years.
2. The cause of this issue, for Nissan is too thin of a finish coating on the bumper. This was told to me by a long time Nissan mechanic. Its a recurring issue with Nissan chrome on these trucks.

As far as road salts or dirt being the problem, I have to disagree. This corrosion continued to spread while the truck was in the garage continuously for 4 days away from the elements.

I recommend for all new vehicle owners to stay up to date on service bulletins through a private mechanic. Since this bumper issue, I've been informed of 5 various suspension issues common with the 2010 Titan Crew Cabs. I plan on getting them handled thru warranty.

Anyways, thanks to all for the comments on this issue.

·
Registered
370 Posts
maybe you got a point with the chrome. I have had no issues and nissan replaced my front bumper from when they hit it with their trucks while in service. It was in 2009 and I had them undercoat the back side of the bumper before installation. that has prevented corrosion there. my rear bumper from behind rusted, I sand blasted it and refinished it to prevent rust. nissan never paints the bumpers behind or coats them (chrome).

I think undercoat from the start on any truck. I will look at mine, but what I notice are the flecks of iron deposits on the paint.

I detail on the side and anything white in (PA) has flecks on it from the road salts. I have to use alot of polish to get it all out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My first rear bumper rusted, my second rear bumper rusted, and my third rear bumper is rusting. Nissan replaced it all of those times, and after the third one started rusting they basically told me to get lost. I can understand their frustration though, they were just getting tired of replacing them for people around here and its not the dealerships fault.

I am not sure what getting a bumper chromed again would cost but I am thinking that might be my best course of action if its not too costly. I actually do like having the chrome bumper so I don't want to bedline it. I will make sure it has a generous coating of bedlining on the back of it this time though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2010 Titan SE new in October and in January it had surface rust on the rear bumper by the exhaust. Dealer called Nissan and replaced it.

·
Premium Member
20,938 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
T

That's not a common issue around here. Hopefully it was a one time deal... But if it happens again, your truck might need the influence of titantalk. Bedliner, the official drug of tt. Only reason I say that is because the can says stops rust.
lololo good one you guys get out of control with that bedliner stuff lol

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Seems like this is a problem on the newer Titans, My 05 still has no rust on the chromed side and in OH the roads stay salt covered most of the winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had an 08 and no problems. New 2011 with 7 months on the road and 21,000 km and it looks like sh*t.

Went to the dealer today and the excuses started before they even got close to the truck. They took a few pictures to submit of areas that made it look like impact from sand off the tires and impacts "from the trailer bouncing rocks forward" but when I suggested he take pictures of areas that are protected from impacts etc, he said he didn't need those.:bangit:

This otta be interesting.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts