Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew what the symptoms of a rear diff failure was.

·
Registered
182 Posts
For me, it was a grinding/whining noise that was especially noticeable if I took my foot off the gas between 40 and 50 miles per hour. But even at other speeds, and under acceleration, an unnatural noise could be heard.

It sounds so bad I expect it to catastrophically fail at any moment, but just the spider gears look bad, not the ring and pinion axle gears. I think the bearings are producing much, if not most, of the noise as well.

I am having the rear end rebuilt next week and installing a TrueTrac. I hope the T makes it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me, it was a grinding/whining noise that was especially noticeable if I took my foot off the gas between 40 and 50 miles per hour. But even at other speeds, and under acceleration, an unnatural noise could be heard.

It sounds so bad I expect it to catastrophically fail at any moment, but just the spider gears look bad, not the ring and pinion axle gears. I think the bearings are producing much, if not most, of the noise as well.

I am having the rear end rebuilt next week and installing a TrueTrac. I hope the T makes it.
I haven't noticed any noises yet, my truck has just been accelerating weird. Sometimes it will go up to 3,000 rpm but not accelerate and sometimes it will jerk like the transmission is shifting hard, even under very light acceleration. And when it jerks it sounds like it comes from the rear end.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts