Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had a really hard time getting the fill plug out of their rear diff cover? I tried to break the plug free with the cover in place and I had no luck. I was changing the diff fluid and wanted to inspect the gears as well, so I took the cover off. I sprayed two types of penetrating oil on the plug and let it sit over night. The god damn thing is still seized! The problem is obviously caused by the manufacturer not coating the steel plug with anti-seize before installing it into an aluminum cover. I'm gonna heat the cover and back the plug out. By the way, I'm not one of these guys that uses a ratchet to break things free, a breaker bar is the only way to go. I will get the plug out, I was just wondering if this is a common problem.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The drain plug on mine was a little tight, I think maybe from hardened thread sealant, but nothing major. The torque spec is only around 20 or 25 ft-lbs so it should come out. I soaked the plug in brake cleaner for awhile and wire brushed it and the hardened sealant cleaned right off.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
My plug wasn't that tight, and I used a standard length 3/8" ratchet.

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
Um, is the drain plug located in the cover on the earlier models? Mine is on the bottom of the differential not in the cover. And the torque spec for the plug is 25 ft/lbs. Mine was rather tight when I changed it last weekend at 33,000 miles. It was previously changed by me at 1,000 miles. I used RTV for sealant the first time and nylon tape the second time. I wonder if the RTV is what made it tight.

Oh, be sure you don't mix the drain and fill plugs. Only the drain plug is magnetic. But either one fits in both locations. (Don't ask how I know this)

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Um, is the drain plug located in the cover on the earlier models? Mine is on the bottom of the differential not in the cover. And the torque spec for the plug is 25 ft/lbs. Mine was rather tight when I changed it last weekend at 33,000 miles. It was previously changed by me at 1,000 miles. I used RTV for sealant the first time and nylon tape the second time. I wonder if the RTV is what made it tight.

Oh, be sure you don't mix the drain and fill plugs. Only the drain plug is magnetic. But either one fits in both locations. (Don't ask how I know this)
OK, I won't ask, but thanks for the laugh.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I did mine at 22k it was a little tight, but no big deal. What year is your truck? You may want to look into getting an aftermarket diff cover as it holds more oil since you took it off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

My Titan is an 08.5 and the drain plug is also located in the bottom of the pumpkin, I was talking about the fill plug in the cover. By the way, I didn't end up having to torch the cover. I bought some SeaFoam Deep Creep, sprayed the plug and reinstalled the cover with out sealant. After reefing on the plug with a breaker bar for a few minutes, I managed to get the plug out. You can bet your *** that I put some antiseize on that plug after I re-filled the diff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts