Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I have a 2005 off road package with 86K on it with the electric locker. The most I ever toe is a bed full of fire wood plus an additional 4x8 trailer loaded with fire wood, guessing a few thousand pounds at most. Regardless, my rear diff started making some serious noise last night thumping in turns. I am assuming the worst and when I looked up the diffs on a few OEM site the cost was $2200 :ftard:. I found the following on Summit's site and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it or opinions:
Detroit Locker 913A582 - Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differentials - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Detroit Locker 913A582 - Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differentials
$686.95
Differential, Detroit Truetrac, 32-Spline, Nissan, Titan 2004-05/Pickup 1994-97, Open Case, Each
These Eaton Detroit Truetrac differentials use a patented design of parallel-axis planetary helix gears to provide a quiet, automatic splitting of torque. They perform like an open differential under normal driving conditions, automatically transferring torque to the wheel with better traction when ground conditions warrant.

Or

Detroit Locker 187SL167A - Eaton Detroit Lockers - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Brand Detroit Locker
Manufacturer's Part Number 187SL167A
Part Type Differential Carriers
Product Line Eaton Detroit Lockers
Summit Racing Part Number DTL-187SL167A

Aftermarket Carrier Style Detroit locker
Cover Bolts 10
Axle Shaft Spline Quantity 31
Manufacturer of Axle Dana
Carrier Material Steel
Quantity Sold individually.

These Eaton Detroit Lockers are designed to maximize traction by delivering 100 percent of the torque and power to both drive wheels. They are engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode and have the ability to automatically allow wheel speed differentiation when required.

Thanks for any response.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yes if your locker is going out (probably the spider gears) the best fix is the Trutrac. As long as your ring / pinion gears are not damaged, should be able to get it all done for about $1000.

Keep your eyes open on the buy/sell section, someone had a brand new one for sale here a few days ago for like $550.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mjw357,

Thanks for the reply, I know the replacement parts are about $700, aside from a gasket and oil what else are you including in the $1000 estimate? Also, I put about 5 miles on the truck getting it home last night, the problem was much worse when I tried to lock the rear diff (in a field trying to figure out what was going on), and I ended up going home in 4wd on gravel roads coasting in neutral through tight turns so I think it is just the locker that’s going bad. I am not sure if that will put debris in the diff and damage the ring and pinion. Finally, anyone have a step by step or how to on swapping out the diff?
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All,

Here's where I am at, I just got off the phone with Summit, they have the truetrac in stock and i can get it here tomorrow. I need to confirm that the rear end is a Dana 44 and what the gear ratio is for the 2005 off road package. I plan on ordering the ring and pinion as well and if not needed will ship it back. So can someone tell me if the rear end is in fact a dana 44 and what the stock gear ration is?
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
62 Posts
I beleive the big tow is a 3.36 the non big tow is a 2.94 there is a sticker on your rear diff that will tell you. from what I have read this is not an easy job. Consider paying someone to do the install.

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is a common issue.....yes its Dana44 you have the right Truetrac part listed.

you will new bearings to press onto the ends of the truetrac.... and might wanna look into replacing the axle seals while your at it.

Install thread:

*****_t's tru trac install - MightyTitans.com

This is a good thread with pics of "generally how to do this" - but you wont need steps 26-41 or so...as you dont need to change the pinion, well, unless its damaged?
http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/showdetl.cfm?DID=6&Product_ID=2557&CATID=21

-J

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Be sure they know it's a Titan because although it's a Dana 44, it's actually a modified Dana 44...but they'll know that. Remember though that you'll lose your E LOCKER once you switch it but this will probably work much better anyhow and even though I have the factory locker, I rarely use it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
All,

Thanks, I had the axle seals done under warrenty about a year ago. I will order the new carrier bearings as well. I have a couple friends that own garages that i am going to hit up this afternoon.

I just got off teh phone with detoit, the tech guy said i'll need a dana 60 35 thousandths pinion shim to make the axle line up in the electric locker housing, he wasn't completely sure of the size and i was hoping that someone with teh electric locker that has done this swap could weigh in.

Thanks again,
Tom

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I just got off teh phone with detoit, the tech guy said i'll need a dana 60 35 thousandths pinion shim to make the axle line up in the electric locker housing, he wasn't completely sure of the size and i was hoping that someone with teh electric locker that has done this swap could weigh in.

Originally Posted by Austin
The old carrier bearings were re-used on the new carrier. I bought new axle seals from my local dealer, but they weren't used. I'll probably end up returning them.

For those with a locking rear end, you have un-equal length shafts. You'll need to either shim the passenger side axle out some with shims behind the axle bearing outer race (we used 0.090) or extend the splines on the passenger side axle by about 1/8" for clearance. Basically, the longer passenger side axle goes in just a bit too far.

We used old-style D44 ARB shims, which fit perfectly. I brought a couple home so that I could measure ID and OD, but I haven't done that yet. I also stopped by my local awesome dealer and picked up another broken axle. I plan on using the shorter driver side axle shaft from the new axle assembly on the passenger side of my current axle. Easier than using a Dremel to extend the splines.

Also, those with a locking rear end have a diff lock position sensor - just a plunger type sensor (you can see pics on my website). The plunger slightly rubs the TrueTrac carrier, so it must be removed. It can be replaced with an M14x1.5 bolt... about 1/2" long is all you need. Alternately, you could just snip the plunger off the sensor housing with a pair of dikes.

For those with a non-locking rear end, you have equal length axle shafts. There are no special needs for installation.

There were no other seals or new parts, except for the M14x1.5 bolt to plug the position switch hole.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
All,

Here's where I am at, I just got off the phone with Summit, they have the truetrac in stock and i can get it here tomorrow. I need to confirm that the rear end is a Dana 44 and what the gear ratio is for the 2005 off road package. I plan on ordering the ring and pinion as well and if not needed will ship it back. So can someone tell me if the rear end is in fact a dana 44 and what the stock gear ration is?
Thanks,
Tom
Tom, the OR gearing is 3.36 (same as big tow) but you cannot buy those gears new. Not from Summit, not from Nissan. You have to get used gears from a parts truck or rear end. As HudsonValleyTitan correctly stated, it is not a Dana 44, it's a version of the 44 made just for the Titan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts