Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so reading a lot of posts lately I finally crawled under my trucks rear and found my differential is leaking at the drive shaft. I looked at my vent and it was completely caked up. I took it off and when I did a big pressure release happened. I cleaned it out good and air flows freely through it now. I tried to clean as much oil off but I am worried the gasket has been ruined. I will be ordering a vent mod and watching the diff. To see if it keeps leaking so I will probably be ordering that part soon to. I will check my guild level tomorrow and possibly changing the oil in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
69,474 Posts
I used Toyota part 90404-51026 for the nipple. Costs about $8 I think. The rest of the hose and lawnmower filter were cheap.

Reactions: noel55

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year is your truck? Mileage? Nevermind the year I seen your profile was a 2012

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk.
111,000 miles. I think I’m gonna make my own vent mod tomorrow

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used Toyota part 90404-51026 for the nipple. Costs about $8 I think. The rest of the hose and lawnmower filter were cheap.
Yeah that’s what I plan on doing going to dealer for that part or use the one brass fitting some recommend. Both my axle seals are dry but obviously the rear drive shaft seal is compromised. Had to just happen in last month or two because I just replaced the front diff. Seal and had a bunch of work done and my garage would have caught that leak. I didn’t check the oil level yet I’ll do that in the AM before I head out for all the parts. I’m going to get gasket seal as well because I want to check the differential for gunk or possible damage. I already have the oil because I planned on swapping it out anyway but when I checked it after buying it with 61,000 miles on it it was clear the place I bought it had changed it already it was super clean. Gee maybe I’ll get new spark plugs too lol. The wife hates when I run to the auto parts store for just 20.00 worth of stuff she knows I am always looking for more things to fix.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So drained the rear diff. Opened it up and thank GOD it looks good. It was dirty but the teeth where all good etc... I ordered the rear diff. Seal OEM on eBay I may attempt this job myself. Should I change anything else while doing it? I also install the homemade vent kit that wen really good have it routed to behind the right taillight. Both axle seals are solid.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The vent mod is essential to protect your drive train. I did not know about it and when the OEM vent clogged I lost 2 axle seals. The OEM vent is a poor design that will clog, just a matter of time.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
From what I gather, the pinion seal is an easy replacement. I didn't have time when mine started weeping a couple of years ago, as I was on the road all week with work then, so I just left the truck with a local shop. They said the seal was $15 and I paid $100 for the whole deal out the door. If you need the shop manual pages, let me know and I can pdf them for you.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The vent mod is essential to protect your drive train. I did not know about it and when the OEM vent clogged I lost 2 axle seals. The OEM vent is a poor design that will clog, just a matter of time.
I could kick myself for not checking this sooner

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I gather, the pinion seal is an easy replacement. I didn't have time when mine started weeping a couple of years ago, as I was on the road all week with work then, so I just left the truck with a local shop. They said the seal was $15 and I paid $100 for the whole deal out the door. If you need the shop manual pages, let me know and I can pdf them for you.
Yeah just had my front one done a couple months ago and total was 190.00 part, labor and tax.

I just bought the rear pinion seal on eBay for 23.00 and I am looking to do the job myself as I agree it looks easy to do. Still thinking of anything else I can do while doing this job.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I take this has been fixed in later models? I haven't looked at mine

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk.
Not on the first gen. They left it go. I don’t even think the put out a TSB on it but I could be wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts