Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, I started hearing a "whining" sound coming from the rear of the Titan (when accelerating and cruising). Took it to the dealership on Monday (Aug 20th) and they took it for a road test and confirmed that the noise was coming from the rear differential and that replacement parts would be in on Wednesday (Aug 22nd). Here it is Friday (Aug 24th) and I just spoke to the dealership - the parts are still not in (supposedly coming from Eastern Canada) should be in on Monday (Aug 27th)
I don't know how many Titans that Nissan has sold in Canada but this is ridiculous to have to wait for over a week especially for a major component as the rear differential.
I would like to hear from other Canadian Titan owners who also have had to replace their rear differential on their truck and what kind of experience that you encountered to get this done.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Trust me I feel your pain. I had to wait a over a week for the same thing. It drove me nuts during that time!! Hang in there and GL on the replacement!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I replaced front & rear diffs on my 05 LE CC.It took one week for front diff & about 3 days for rear. Im in Calgary and dealing with Brasso Nissan.I think both diffs came out off Edmonton.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well here it is Aug 28th and I finally picked up my Titan today. They replaced the whole final drive assembly - now I have a nice looking aluminum vented diff cover. I saw the bill that the dealership is sending to Nissan - $1,900
OUCH, I'm glad I don't have to pay.

The whole final drive assembly was shipped from the warehouse in Montreal which caused the delay as it has to go through distribution in Toronto before finally getting shipped to Winnipeg

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just had my rear diff replaced as well- bad outer axle bearings for sure- possible internal damage as well.

Took my titan in on Friday,
problem diagnosed in about and hour,
new diff ordered,
Deler rents me a Dodge 1/2ton as a rental (so what if it's a Mopar, it's still a truck)
new diff delivered Monday,
Titan picked up Tuesday AM.

I was truly impressed- the first time ever ever been treated that well at a dealership. (Beau Townsedn Nissan, Dayton, OH- great job!!)

Oh- and the rear diff with e-locker is $2800 not including the labor to put it in. :eyebrow:

·
Registered
1 Posts
my Nissan titan rear compeletly blew apart on april 6 and its now may 6 and still no progress. if anyone can help me and tell me the gear ratio for my 2004 Nissan titan 4x4 is it will be greatly appreciated, no one can seem to find out what it is and I cant find a new rear end for a 2004 anywhere.

·
Registered
169 Posts
my Nissan titan rear compeletly blew apart on april 6 and its now may 6 and still no progress. if anyone can help me and tell me the gear ratio for my 2004 Nissan titan 4x4 is it will be greatly appreciated, no one can seem to find out what it is and I cant find a new rear end for a 2004 anywhere.
How would we know what gear ration your T is? There are different ratio's, Does your diff have a sticker on it? Mine does that states the ratio and details.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, sorry to post here, I'm new to the forum & need help. I also have 04 Titan with rear end problems & was hoping to get a few questions answered. Can you point me in the right direction so that I can post a question? Thanks in advance.
HT

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi, sorry to post here, I'm new to the forum & need help. I also have 04 Titan with rear end problems & was hoping to get a few questions answered. Can you point me in the right direction so that I can post a question? Thanks in advance.
HT
What questions do you have? Yours is Fucckked!

I think there are some axles for sale on here at the moment. Might be a less painful, more cost effective way to get your rig back on the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What questions do you have? Yours is Fucckked!

I think there are some axles for sale on here at the moment. Might be a less painful, more cost effective way to get your rig back on the road.
Yes, my truck is dripping with distain. The problem is I don't know anything about trucks or cars or why so many of them blow up this way. I see that the problem is fairly common yet seemingly invisible to Nissan. The funny thing is that it didn't have a hole in it until my sons friend (a mechanic) came to look at it to "diagnose" it for me. If you look at the ground you can see the oil beneath the hole. But that truck was parked for more than a week before it was towed to my house. The kid driving it wouldn't tell me the truth about what happened, he just said it broke down. When I finally got it home it would start right up but the gears wouldn't engage at all. So it just sat there looking broke, until someone (the mechanic) offered to fix it & buy it from me. When he left I could smell a strong odor of gas coming from the truck so I took a look under the truck & saw that a giant hole was now under my truck and oil was dripping out of the hole. So while he was slamming on the gas & playing with the gears he put a gun to my truck & blew out the rear end. So any problem I had prior to that was incidental because now it's totally trashed & I don't know the first thing about it. I need someone to tell me what the problem is called so that I can try & get it fixed or just cut my losses & sell it as is.

I feel like I have a target on my back w/ an arrow pointing at my butt directing people where to blow smoke. I just need someone to tell me how much something like that costs to fix & how much my truck is worth in the condition its now in. I won't mention my gender or age but somehow I feel like they both have something to do with the smoke blowing. It's frustrating.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Well at this point I would plan on a new rear, if you go used you may find one at a decent price maybe under $1k probably depends on area. Your other option is to see if it can be rebuilt, but that picture isn?t giving much promise for your case. If you read the earlier posts the new ones where 2k without labor. A guy on here just had one rebuilt in Cali for around 2k with a locker installed (tru-trac) as well. The aftermarket internals are probably a better way to go if possible due to strength and reliability, but finding a place to get it done can be a challenge. Your going to have to dump some money in or lose it on the sale unfortunately, without the rear diff it will certainly crush the value of the vehicle. You would make more off it parting it out than selling it whole most likely, depending on miles. Sorry for your luck. Keep an eye out in the buy sell section here for rear diffs, check eBay, Craig?s list, and any other social media you may be attached to, you may just get lucky. As you mentioned you are not mechanically savvy, if it?s 4x4 the front and rear gear ratio must match. So when shopping keep this in mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts