Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else hear a clunking noise when you put your truck into reverse? It sounds like metal-to-metal. My dad's 2000 F-150 supercrew did this, and Ford had to replace the seal on the differential three time over 3 years. It seems to do it after the truck has been driven a while. I always notice it when I back my truck into the driveway. She will be going in for her first oil change (1000 miles) nest week and I am going to have them check it out, just wondered if anybody else has heard this? :mad:

·
Premium Member
17,128 Posts
titanized said:
Does anybody else hear a clunking noise when you put your truck into reverse? It sounds like metal-to-metal. My dad's 2000 F-150 supercrew did this, and Ford had to replace the seal on the differential three time over 3 years. It seems to do it after the truck has been driven a while. I always notice it when I back my truck into the driveway. She will be going in for her first oil change (1000 miles) nest week and I am going to have them check it out, just wondered if anybody else has heard this? :mad:
I am confused. What does the differential seal have to do with a clunking noise? Did all the fluid leak out and cause it to make noise because it was running dry?

·
Registered
174 Posts
CaliforniaTitan said:
Yeah...doesn't quite make sense...

Normally a 'Clunk' would be the Universal Joint at the end of the shaft..

Chris

Are you sure the clunk is not just drive train slack?

·
Registered
823 Posts
I've had a little slop in my drive-train since the day I bought it. I just figured out the other day it's the drive shaft moving up and down a little in the center bearing carrier. It's basically a rubber mount that keeps the 2 piece drive shaft aligned. I was able to move the drive shaft around fairly easily so it must be designed this way. If your hearing a metalic clunk than that needs to be addressed with the dealer because it could be too much backlash in the differential.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The seal is what two different ford dealer service guys said it was. I am not too sure why it caused it to make the clunking noise. But when they replaced the seal, and maybe refilled the differential, it stopped, but there was always oil or lubrication on the bottom side of the differential.

I slid under the truck when I got home from work today, and there was not any fluids on the diff, but there definately was a lot of slop in the u-bolts. The dealer is definately going to hear it, becasue it does it all the time. It is very noticable. What is hard to understand is why doesn't it make the noise when going into drive...it is only when it goes into reverse...????

·
Registered
250 Posts
titanized said:
I slid under the truck when I got home from work today, and there was not any fluids on the diff, but there definately was a lot of slop in the u-bolts.
If there is slop in the u-bolts, did you try to tighten them down?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"All of them do it, it normal"

Need some more input from everybody. I want to confirm that not all the trucks make this noise. Just got a call form the service man about the clunking noise when it goes into reverse. He said that another Titan just pulled in and it did the same thing. He stated that it is from all the torque.

It always makes the clunking noise once the vehicle is warmed up, and I stop, put it in reverse to back into the parking space, it does it all the time. The service man heard it and now he is saying it is normal. WTF?

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
titanized said:
He said that another Titan just pulled in and it did the same thing. He stated that it is from all the torque.
I don't have my Titan yet so I can't say if it's a normal noise, but this service guy is definitely blowing smoke up your ...

The truck is making very little torque at idle - really just enough to keep the engine running. Take into account the slushbox and you've got effectively nothing transferred to the driveline.

·
Registered
823 Posts
titanized said:
Need some more input from everybody. I want to confirm that not all the trucks make this noise. Just got a call form the service man about the clunking noise when it goes into reverse. He said that another Titan just pulled in and it did the same thing. He stated that it is from all the torque.

It always makes the clunking noise once the vehicle is warmed up, and I stop, put it in reverse to back into the parking space, it does it all the time. The service man heard it and now he is saying it is normal. WTF?
Definitely no metallic clunking sound on my truck. It may be time to try another service department.......

·
Registered
28 Posts
CaliforniaTitan said:
Agree there should be some drivetrain play...

But if he has a hard clunk, it is either mis-aligned or a bad joint...

Chris
Cali titan -- when you say some drivetrain play am i correct if i assume you mean from a dead stop. I have this am curios if something may be wrong. No metallic sound just a little thump or play when i accelerate sometimes... thanks jer

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
(check the dates)
it's funny how if you read this thread today, most of us here already know what the problem is. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts