Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Hoping you can shed a little light on this. I'm pretty convinced the rear end is shot in some manner but I'm not that familiar with solid axle construction.

Wed morning: Driving to work...ABS & B-LSD lights come on as I'm cruising at highway speed. No noises, no whining, no anything. Just the lights. I do a little research and see that many people get that due to low brake fluid.

Thurs night: Put is some brake fluid. Reservoir appears near full to begin with. Lights stay on but I didn't attempt to reset them.

Friday night: Driving around running errands. Hit a decent size pothole on city streets but nothing to get too excited about. Right as I hit it, I hear some nasty noises. It's wheel speed dependent (not RPM) and sound somewhat grinding. I slow down and the noise goes through some weird changes and slowly goes away as I gently drive the mile or two home. By the time I hit my block, no noises and everything seems fine. Weird. Thought it was maybe a rock in my brakes?

Sat: Pull my rear end cover to check the fluid. Some minor metal dust on the magnet but otherwise all looks good. Gears look great, fluid was relatively clean. Changed the fluids on the front diff and transfer case too. Other than the transfer case fluid being very dirty, all looks well. Also disconnected battery to reset codes.

Sun: Fill the fluids back up after the RTV dries. Hook up battery, B-LSD & ABS lights on immediately (no CEL). Go for a test drive. Back out, no noises. Put in D, a bit of popping. One more good sized pop down the block and then no more noises as I drove a few miles at various speeds. As I pull in the driveway, noises come back. Jacked up the rear again and put in D & R while the wheels hung free. The driver side wheel would bind under idle load in gear, the passenger side would spin freely. Noises were not pleasant sounding.

So the differential looks perfect - but somewhere in the axle assembly it's shot? In my research it seems like people see some type of evidence in the fluid but I'm not seeing that.

Specs:
'04 KC 4x4
Tow Package
PML Diff cover (put on several years ago)
Otherwise stock.
Truck tows the race car/open trailer during the summer. Well under weight.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check your outter axle bearings. The bearing is probably shot and the ABS sensor was wiped out by the tone ring. Your parking brake shoes will keep the axle running somewhat true ( they run on the inside hat of the rotor), but any slop in the bearing will take out the sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if anyone is curious, here are the problem(s):

Driver side: Parking brake assembly self destructed which is what was causing the awful noises and subsequently took out the ABS sensor, toner ring, etc.
Passenger side: Not causing any immediate issue, but the axle seal is leaking pretty bad.

Putting in new bearings, axle seals, etc. Hopefully she'll be all set for the tow season.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts