Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read that the 08 and up have a different set up? Here is the question, when is the limited slip actually there? (without the E lock option) I read here that there is no real limited slip in 2 wheel drive high or 4 wheel drive high. The truck uses the brake system to stop the one spinning wheel. If thats true, then how do things change in 4 wheel low to make it a limited slip? And again the difference in years? Does anyone really know? Thanks.
Terry

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It does not change. The only way it changes is with the E locker.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
There is no real OEM limited slip in any Titan. TrueTrac is available for 2004 thru 2007. For 2008+ you either have the OEM E-locker or you are screwed.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
What he said ^

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I have a question regarding Titans and LSD's. I have an 08-XE bare bone's, no special options (4x4, CC too). From a dead stop, dry pavement, I can lay 2 nice black strip's down for about 10-15 yards, then the rear end "unlocks" or does somthing, becasue only after the initial 10-15 yards of possi, only 1 wheel wonder after that. My slip light does come on, but i've yet to figure out or feel exactly what that light is telling me?? I can stuff the rev. limiter with the light flashing too!. When I was test driving Titans, both 08-XE's, one of them was 1 wheel wonder all the time. I bought mine becuase it would "hook up possi" for a bit, so naturally i thought it had at least a LSD. Mybe mine has the e-locker? I dont have VDC button, e-lock button, none of that. (hinse questioning the LSD) any ideas?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow purchasing a truck based on burnout performance. I like it! But what ur saying doesn't make sense to me, I haven't dogged my truck enough to know.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
So I have a question regarding Titans and LSD's. I have an 08-XE bare bone's, no special options (4x4, CC too). From a dead stop, dry pavement, I can lay 2 nice black strip's down for about 10-15 yards, then the rear end "unlocks" or does somthing, becasue only after the initial 10-15 yards of possi, only 1 wheel wonder after that. My slip light does come on, but i've yet to figure out or feel exactly what that light is telling me?? I can stuff the rev. limiter with the light flashing too!. When I was test driving Titans, both 08-XE's, one of them was 1 wheel wonder all the time. I bought mine becuase it would "hook up possi" for a bit, so naturally i thought it had at least a LSD. Mybe mine has the e-locker? I dont have VDC button, e-lock button, none of that. (hinse questioning the LSD) any ideas?
Yours is no different than any other Titan in that you have an open rear differential. You also have 4 wheel ABLS which uses the ABS system to apply the brake to a slipping wheel....that's why you get the slip light.
All open diff vehicles will spin both wheels....until one loses traction. Then that wheel will just spin. The Elocker equipped trucks have a dash switch...you'd know if you had it, and the elocker can only be used in 4LO.

The length of the "possi" burnout will differ depending in wheels/tires and road surface.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
So I read that the 08 and up have a different set up? Here is the question, when is the limited slip actually there? (without the E lock option) I read here that there is no real limited slip in 2 wheel drive high or 4 wheel drive high. The truck uses the brake system to stop the one spinning wheel. If thats true, then how do things change in 4 wheel low to make it a limited slip? And again the difference in years? Does anyone really know? Thanks.
Terry
There's no limited slip Titans, only the ABLS. All years are the same in that aspect. As you mentioned, the ABLS uses the brakes to slow the spinning wheel...in the rear when in 2WD and on all 4 while in 4WD. The Elocker can only be used while in 4LO (if you have Elock) so that may be where you got that from. There is no limited slip...only electronic traction aids.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cool, thanks guys! I did buy this truck becuase it burned out better than the others I test drove. Maybe the others had worn out rear ends??? I've always owned fords/chev/dodge's, and the LSD's in those truck's felt just like this Titan I have now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts