Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tldr - Truck makes a gear lashing noise after my mechanic changed the pinion seal. I think my mechanic screwed up. He says its bearings and a sleeve. Whats more likely?

I have a 2011(97k mi), got a leak in the pinion seal. I was originally going to replace it myself, but i couldn't get the pinion nut off with the tools i have at my new place. So i fill the gear oil back up with only 1.75qts(i think it requires 2.75 iirc) of oil then I figured id use my mechanic who did my motorcycle fork seals to change this seal. He said he could get it done and has had previous work with rear ends when he worked at Ford.

Anyway i get my truck back after he tells me the gear oil was low and hes suprised it didnt have shavings and i could have other damage. I take it and now the rear end makes a howling noise when im decelerating. Its real loud at 60+ mph but in just about every speed range. And a low whirring(hard to hear with the loud exhaust but you can hear an audible phasing of sound waves) on acceleration from 20 to 40ish. None of this was there before dropping it off.

Now the mechanic says, after i dropped it back off, that my pinion bearings and crush sleeve need replaced. Im more conviced he screwed up the pinion nut torque and messed up the backlash. I asked if he could just readjust the backlash for now but he said he cant because the bearings are out of wack.

I came here to get a second opinion while i wait for him to close it back up so i can take it back. Is it more likely i damaged something from only filling the oil with 1.75qts or its finally wore out after 97k miles, or is it the fact that the mechanic didnt get the torque right on the pinion nut?

I plan on taking it to a transmission/diff shop to get a final opinion, and they might have parts if the bearings are actually messed up. And maybe get a trutrac 馃

Reactions: Hntndad

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think if it was from low fluid, you would have heard it before.
Thats what i thought. And i had only driven it maybe 10 miles with low fluid, not pulling anything so i doubt heat was that much of an issue.

Reactions: busemans

Registered
I think that your intuition is correct. However, 鈥渂acklash鈥 is not set with the pinion nut which was removed to replace your seal. Pinion bearing preload is what you mean and it鈥檚 NOT set by marking the nut/flange/housing before removal and then afterwards tightening until they 鈥渓ine up鈥.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts