Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was down under the back of my T today and noticed this. I have been meaning to do the axle vent mod but just haven’t had time…I am hoping this isn’t the rear passenger side seal leaking…thoughts?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
That's your vent having wept but now clogged. The mod takes 10min. Do it.

·
Premium Member
2013 Nissan Titan pro 4x
280 Posts
That's your vent having wept but now clogged. The mod takes 10min. Do it.
Yes very important to do vent mod
Would have prevented my diff going out on my first truck I had the exact same stain

·
Premium Member
2013 Nissan Titan pro 4x
280 Posts
Yes very important to do vent mod
Would have prevented my diff going out on my first truck I had the exact same stain
Mine took out my pinion seal first so I didn’t notice fluid loss until too late started whining then grenaded

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you buy that breather from an auto parts store and walk out the door or is it an order only type of part? Or would it be better to go through Cajun and have it expedited shipping? I don’t need a rear axle blowing up like that

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I bought the hose, clamps, and fuel filter (one with no check valve) at a local parts store. I had to order the fitting for the rear axle from Nissan. Check the Nissan and Toyota dealers and online options for the fastest way to get one in the required threads. There is a thread on the vent mod which gives both part numbers.

In the short term, crawl under with a rag with some decreased on it and clean the existing vent, and then actuate it up and down a few times (gently, as you can pull it apart). In fact, some have used the existing vent with the top pulled off to attach the hose. If you went that route I'd do it only as a stopgap until you have the other part in hand. Read the vent mod thread for all the info.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ordered the whole kit from Cajun, said it would be here in 2-3 days. I will get under and clean it up until then hopefully it will be ok. So it doesn’t look like my seal is shot?

·
Registered
368 Posts
This factory axle vent is straight up a design fail. Has caused hundreds of Titan owners thousands of dollars out of pocket to replace leaking axle seals. There should have been a recall on this from Nissan or am I missing something?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
While the OEM vent is a poor design, folks who maintain their vehicles haven't had near the issues - because they're on top of things. This isn't recall-worthy.

As for your seals, PNW, I'd guess you're alright. If you're really worried, pull the wheels and rotors and look behind the hub with a flashlight, but reality is, if your backing plates are dry, your seals are intact.

Reactions: apetro02

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I have read on here it sounds like if you don’t see any leakage on the inside of the rim you’re good and if you guys say you’re good - works for me there is a lot more mechanical knowledge and experience on here than I will have! 👍

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got under there and cleaned it up, it seems like there is play in it for now got the dirt and grime off degreaser as suggested. If it’s like a pressure valve on my pressure cooker looks like it should be ok till I get the vent mod. I assume that it will work till then Musical instrument Gas Glass Auto part Natural material

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Could be. Or could be old residue. Watch it for a week or two and check your front diff fluid level immediately. My front pinion seal went out last year. It was about $135 to have it done. Would have cost me roughly $115 to buy the seal and the tool. Worth having it done! Rear went out several years ago, and was $110 installed. Some stuff just isn't worth doing yourself by the time you buy the one-off tools.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just ordered the whole kit from Cajun, said it would be here in 2-3 days. I will get under and clean it up until then hopefully it will be ok. So it doesn’t look like my seal is shot?
The backing plate appears to be dry. If the axle seal leaks you would see oil film on the backing plate. Compare the right side to the left side plate. Oil film on the axle housing is from the vent.

·
Premium Member
2013 Pro-4X - Graphite Blue Metallic
352 Posts
I did the Cajun kit. Worked fine. I ran the hose through the frame and zip tied the filter up behind the passenger side tail light.

Reactions: apetro02

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just bought new bearings, axle seals, and pinion seal thanks to this POS breather as well. The parts are not too pricey, but the labor will be a pain.......Just ordered the parts for the mod.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts