Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like others on this forum, I've had problems with the shackles on the Titan. My right shackle let go and the leaf springs shot up and blew a hole right through the bed of the truck last week. I had both the shackles replaced, after reading about how poorly designed they were on here. Didn't want to wait for the left side to fail.

I waited to repair the bed to see if Nissan would offer a goodwill warranty, since I have an '04 Titan out of warranty (no extended warranty either)

They weren't going to budge until I asked if they ever heard of a goodwill warranty. The rep said yes, in certain circumstances. I said as a long time owner of a Nissan product who has only gone to the dealer for service, that must surely fit the circumstances. He replied that Nissan provides funds for goodwill warranties to their dealers, so surely they would have offered one (Since they didn't he was implying that I wasn't a good customer) I then countered that if he was suggesting the dealer thought I wasn't a good customer despite me giving them all of my business, that I would report that to them to see what they had to say about it and that I would take my business elsewhere if they didn't appreciate it. As it would happen, I really like my dealership, so I knew they wouldn't like a Nissan rep deliberately losing business for them. It worked to the extent that he called the dealership and called me back to offer a future credit of $250 and the dealer would offer that as well for a total of $500.

But no reimbursement for the shackle repair or to fix the bed of the truck. Assuming that they won't fix the bed of my truck, has anyone tried going the insurance route? I really don't think I should have to, but if I go down that road, what has worked to get your insurance company to cover it? Anyone had Nissan dealers or the manufacturer cover the bed repair or replacement, especially out of warranty in this situation?

Also, since this seems like a safety issue for both driving as well as a personnel safety issue if you or children/animals were in the bed or loading something in the bed, I decided to file a complaint with the NHTSA. Anyone else do the same? I strongly suggest anyone else do so as well if you've had the same problem. Nissan isn't going to step up here, so perhaps it will require NHTSA to make them.

Anyone have other suggestions as far as reporting this, or repair solutions?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Many reports have been made to NHTSA for failing front and rear differentials on the Titan and nothing has happened out of it. Not sure your shackle complaint will do much good either. The funny thing is Nissan has recently had a re-call on the fuel gauge not reading correctly, which is the least of most peoples problems with this truck on the '04-'07 model years.

It has been said that Nissan redesigned the shackle and made it better and you can pick up a pair for $60. PRG products also makes some aftermarket shackles for $140.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Good luck and keep us posted. Glad to see you didn't just turn and walk away with your tail between your legs. Insurance probably won't cover it, but I think Nissan should. Unfortunately, Nissan is one of the worst manufactures for customer service and probably the least proactive in addressing defects and or design flaws as PRJ already mentioned.

Did you call Nissan yourself or are you going through the dealer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck and keep us posted. Glad to see you didn't just turn and walk away with your tail between your legs. Insurance probably won't cover it, but I think Nissan should. Unfortunately, Nissan is one of the worst manufactures for customer service and probably the least proactive in addressing defects and or design flaws as PRJ already mentioned.

Did you call Nissan yourself or are you going through the dealer?
I called Nissan myself and got a claim started. I then had several back and forth conversations with the dealer and Nissan until I got somewhere. You have to fight hard and make a point and keep it to the point. It helped that I was a good customer.

I'm going back to the dealer and they said that they might be able to do some welding at cost to keep the repair cost on the bed down for me as an alternative to replacing the whole bed. I may go that route, because I don't want to activate insurance if I don't have to, plus my bed is covered by a cap, making it a bit less vulnerable. (I use it for recreation and hauling light gear as opposed to heavy duty use.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, I officially joined the club today...
While hooking up our Airstream travel trailer - I noticed, as I lowered the trailer onto the hitch, a bulge forming in my truck bed. I raised the trailer and inspected - and the leaf spring shackle had rusted at the weld and broke free.
It is the weekend and I cannot get anything started until Monday. Would someone give me advice on where to start? What is the national Nissan service phone number?
I have a 2004 Titan CC LE - babied it's entire life, with 81,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Ryan, I'd suggest calling your dealership--Nissan has regional representatives and they may just hook you up directly or at the very least have the national number. Been a while, so I don't have the number at the moment.

If you have an extended warranty, that will be the place to start. If not, then start asking about a goodwill warranty. You'll be in a good position to receive that if you have serviced your vehicle at the dealership. If you haven't, I don't think you'll be successful with a service credit. (Why would they offer help if you aren't a regular customer) I was, and I strongly fought this point with the regional representative who relented when I wondered out loud what the service department head at my dealership would think of him losing business for them. My dealership was very helpful the whole way. They seemed to understand customer service and loyalty.

I would highly recommend that you replace both your left and right shackles, regardless of what they offer. Also, I got a future service credit, not a reimbursement, which was fine by me because I also needed my rear axle replaced, another commonly reported problem here......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts