Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to see the lock on the rear/side storage compartment tied into the rest of the door locks. I can't count how many times I've gone to get something out of it and said "dammit, forgot the keys..." make it lock and unlock with the rest of the power locks.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
You know, I have to agree. Wonder what it would take to do that? Solenoid and some wire? Hmmmmmmm

Baseballfanz? You around? :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
160,768 Posts
You'd think it'd be similar to the tailgate power lock? :dunno:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't imagine it would be too difficult.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I saw someone on another board who was trying to do something w/this.

The problem he ran into was getting the compartment door to stay shut when the others were unlocked. It started off as a seemingly simple mod, but it turned out to be much more complex.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
You know, I have to agree. Wonder what it would take to do that? Solenoid and some wire? Hmmmmmmm

Baseballfanz? You around? :dunno:
LOL, it has been done. A member over at the Spot have a hidden "pull cord" that he can pull on to release the door. I'm sure a solenoid could be made to work.

·
Registered
160 Posts
dont u have 2 have ur keys with you anyways to hit the "power unlock" button? or do u leave ur doors unlocked on a reg basis? lol. im 2 paranoid to leave my truck unlocked. even when its in the garage.

·
Registered
239 Posts
TripleC said:
lol. im 2 paranoid to leave my truck unlocked. even when its in the garage.
Not to sound too paranoid in another direction, but you should never leave your vehicles locked in your garage. God forbid, but if there is ever a fire in your house, firemen like to get vehicles out. If the keys aren't in it, they're not going to search through your house to find them.

Seems to me, there are arguments for either practice.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i leave mine unlocked with the keys in it in the garage...

i guess the main idea of this is when you're getting in and out of the compartment, you're with the truck so theft isn't an issue. ideally, the compartment's lock would lock and unlock with the cabin doors. i did it again on saturday.. D'oh! forgot the keys... it'd be much more convenient.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
jguns2002 said:
Not to sound too paranoid in another direction, but you should never leave your vehicles locked in your garage. God forbid, but if there is ever a fire in your house, firemen like to get vehicles out. If the keys aren't in it, they're not going to search through your house to find them.
Nope sho' don't :gunz:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Firemen like to get vehicles out??? New to me lol.
I think the problem is there is no latch so if it was elec unlock the door would just fall open cause there's nothing holding it down. With all the cavernous interior space this is kind of a moot point to me.

Btw here if keys are in a vehicle your vehicle disappears.

·
Registered
239 Posts
OMNIHUGE said:
Firemen like to get vehicles out??? New to me lol.

Btw here if keys are in a vehicle your vehicle disappears.
Around here vehicles don't disappear from garages w/keys in them.

I'm not a fireman myself, but I'm friends w/quite a few & that's one of the first things they look besides people. From what they've told me, they get vehicles out because of the explosion risk of the gastank.

Like I said, I'm not one, so I can't verify the practice firsthand.

·
Registered
68 Posts
baseballfanz said:
LOL, it has been done. A member over at the Spot have a hidden "pull cord" that he can pull on to release the door. I'm sure a solenoid could be made to work.
I did it with a generic trunk release solenoid off of e-bay - something like $9 plus a few bucks in wire and a whole lot more time than I planned. If I can find my camera (which my daughter always seems to forget to return after "borrowing") I'll post some pics.

But the basics - ran a wire from the fuse box on the passenger side for power to a trunk release button I put under the dash on the drivers side. (I wired it so it always has power - don't need the key in the ignition to use it) I then ran a wire from the button through the firewall, into the frame back to the compartment. I took off the plastic cover from the inside of the compartment door and mounted the solenoid in the raised curved area that covers the lock mechanism. This is where it got tricky and time consuming - getting the solenoid to fit and rigging the cable to pull the release properly. The curve of the cover and working with the cover off (kind of like looking in a mirror) made it very challenging especially combined with the small tolerance of having the cable too tight (door latch won't latch) or too loose. (door latch won't open) I couldn't get it to work until I mounted a small screen door wheel as pulley for the cable. It's impossible to envision without pictures - but to get the solenoid to fit, I needed something to reverse the direction of the pull on the locking lever - a pulley. The screen door wheel worked perfectly.

But I finally got it and it's awesome to just push a button in the truck and hear the compartment door pop open!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
when I first saw a titan with the lockbox I assumed the little cover for the key hole was the handle and you could lock it if you wanted. sort of like a utility truck yawl know what I'm talking about.

so if you wanted to you could leave the box unlocked then just open the door or lock it.

NISSAN TAKE NOTES!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
It would be nice to have the tailgate unlock, everytime I'm carrying something heavy, its always locked so I have to bend over twice, to set the object down and again to pick it back up. I was going to do the mod but there seems to be mixed results with it.

I could care less about the storage compartment locking automaticaly, although I suppose it would be nice, I can see how it would nto be worth modfying due to it's design.

I agree if they coul dhav emade the box a little larger and put them on both sides of the truck and added some lights it would be a big step up.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
The auto-lock feature would be nice but I'd rather have it be bigger or have one on both sides. Its a great feature but just a little too small. Everyone I show it to is very impressed. I dont think Nissan does enough to promote it because most people I show it to didnt know it was even an option.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts