Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two ways to fix your rear sonar (back up beeper) yourself.
Why pay a dealer $100 or more when even a pure beginner like me can do this fix for under $5 bucks!?!

1. $60 way: Replace with factory speaker (called "buzzer assembly" part no. for 2005 Titan = 25640-7s200) - this will cost around $60 to do yourself. Be sure and check with the dealer to find out the exact part number for your year. This takes 5 minutes to do yourself.

2. $5.00 way: Replace with $5 Radio Shack "buzzer" speaker. Takes about 20 mins and saves you tons of cash!

- pictures are included (it's so easy, some of you can simply use the pics without my instructions, just don't cut the wires if you use the $60 Nissan buzzer because it has a simple clip that comes right out)

Explanation:

Your rear sonar light is illuminated and your rear sonar system doesn't work. You could run the self diagnostics found on this site, or cut to the chase because 95% of the time all you have to do is just change out the speaker ("buzzer" "beeper"). This little "buzzer" is located under your dash panel that is right above your gauges and steering wheel. Change it out with a Nissan replacement for around $60 bucks and you're done.

OR you can change it out with a $4.49 "buzzer" from Radio Shack and save a ton of cash which is what I did.

Either way - DO NOT GO TO THE DEALERSHIP TO FIX THIS SIMPLE COMMON PROBLEM!!

Mine told me they charge $85 dollars just to run the diagnostics. Translated: push the sonar switch 10 times in 5 seconds and write down the beep code to see what the problem is. 9 times out of 10 it's just the "buzze" that has gone bad. Mine started sounding like it was running out of juice or like a dying duck quack(?) or something like that. Replaced the speaker and good to go!
Tools and parts needed:

1. Flat head screw driver (the smaller/thinner the better)
2. 5.5mm socket and wrench (found in most multi-piece tool sets)
3. Pocket knife, scissors, splice tool (use all if you have them, I just used my knife)
4. Buzzer assembly from Nissan dealer (call and ask for the part number for only the speaker which is called the "buzzer assembly" OR
5. Radio Shack: 12VDC Piezo Buzzer 3.0-28VDC 5mA (I used this one, it's not very loud, not nearly as loud as the factory Nissan one, but gets the job done for 5 bucks). The part number is: 273-060
6. Black electrical tape - found anywhere, H.E.B., Radio Shack, Wal-Mart
The Quick and Easy Fix that ANYONE can do

I included pictures which you could probably use with no instructions. And yes (for all you haters) you could be done with this fix by the time you read all of this. But I've never fixed anything on my truck myself, and if you are like me, you will need detailed instruction. Here they are if you want to print this out. Use this to either replace your buzzer with the Nissan buzzer for $60 (unclip, snap in new one, done) or swap it out for a $5 Radio Shack speaker (require a few extra minutes to splice and tape buzzer in place).

1. Turn truck off. Use flat head screw driver to pop off the dash panel cover. Careful not to break or scratch the cover! Gently wiggle it in place and use common sense to get a decent grip on the cover and just pop the cover up a bit, then use your fingers to pop the cover off. The clips allow the dash panel to pop off and pop right back in when you're done. No need to climb under your dash!

2. - If using the $60 Nissan replacement - use the 5.5mm socket to unscrew the old buzzer. Unclip the old speaker, slide new one in until it clips, replace dash cover and you're done.

3. - If using $5 Radio Shack buzzer - Use 5.5mm socket to unscrew the old buzzer assembly. Cut the blue and red wires as close to the old buzzer assembly as possible. Use scissors or a knife to cut away the foam and plastic wire covers about an inch or so down. Splice the red and blue wires about a half inch or so. Now grab the Radio Shack buzzer and connect the two wires: twist the Red wire to the Red wire and then twist the black wire on the buzzer to the blue wire in your truck. Cover each one separately with electrical tape. I taped each wire up pretty good so it will last.

4. Now that it is all spliced together and taped up, you will need to secure the new buzzer in place somehow. I simply used more electrical tape and taped it to one of the existing wires that was further down in the dash.

5. Slide the cover back in place and press down. Then use your fingers to grab the part of the cover that is closest to the windshield and pull in towards you while pushing down.

YOUR FINISHED! Feels darn good to save all of that cash doesn't it! :eek2:

Just remember, the $5 buzzer is not nearly as loud as the Nissa buzzer. Just turn down your radio when you back up and you will hear it just fine. Next time mine goes out, I will try a new speaker/buzzer to find a cheap but louder one.

If this fix is for your grandpa's truck, it probably won't be loud enough for him like the factory one. So go the $60 replacement route.

In the mean time, if anyone knows of a cheap fix like this with a better/louder buzzer, please post it!

I have to give credit to Machado7 at TitanTalk.com. I used his original posts for this fix, and just gave more details from my experience as I have never fixed anything on my own before in my life. This should really help beginners like me, while the experienced folks can just use the pictures.

**Please feel free to use my pictures however you want. It would be nice if you referred to this post and credited this site when using my pictures on your site, however.

Be easy and take care of each other out there! - Wiski :teeth:

PICTURES NOTE!! - ONLY CUT THE WIRES IF REPLACING BUZZER WITH THE RADIO SHACK BUZZER ! ! ! !

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
NOTE!! - you ONLY NEED TO CUT THE WIRES IF REPLACING WITH THE RADIO SHACK BUZZER ! ! !

the last 4 pics that go with my original post above are attached. - Wiski

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Yeah, the other guy did a good job with his pics, but I found that it was not necessary and too difficult for a big dog like me to reach up under the dash to mess with the clips. I just used the screw driver and it popped right off at the source!

·
Super Moderator
93,291 Posts
Nice write up :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The next person that uses this to fix theirs please buy a $10 buzzer / speaker. I'm adjusting to mine but I wanted to remind you that this mod is NOT NEARLY as loud as the factory buzzer. So my $5 fix gets you one that works fine, but you have to turn down the radio to hear it. The $60 buzzer is much louder and instantly swappable with no splicing required. But I'm certain there is another buzzer out there for around $10 that is the best of both worlds. Louder and cheap! My mod is the "good" in: good, better, best.

Post back here when you find, install, and test the "better" upgrade.

:gunz:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am also going to try cutting off a cheap head phone speaker and splicing that in - one day - if i ever have problems again. I imagine that headphone speaker would work.

If anyone tries it - post your findings here! ROCK ON TITANTALK.COM

·
Registered
31 Posts
do know what part number to louder buzzer at radio shack?

also, before replacing old one you can check it by doing a continuity test.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used a speaker off of a old pair of headphones and its just as loud as the OEM speaker! It is a little tricky connecting with the smaller wires but it works great! :teeth:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

I just wanted to say thanks for the info! I replaced my speaker and all is well. A few things though just in case others are having issues, etc.

Own a 2005 Nissan Titan LE Crew
I ended up buying the following buzzer from Radio Shack:
Model 273-075
6-28 VDC Piezo Buzzer
Cost around $7.50

It is loud enough be be heard over the radio for sure, may be a bit too loud, but I'll see how it goes....

Now about the wiring. this model comes with 3 colored leads. Red, Blue and Black.

Red wire is for common (+)
Black wire for continuous (-)
Blue wire for pulsing (-)

The titan has 2 wires coming up from under the cover (red and blue)

I originally connected red to red, and black to blue. This DID NOT work.. So I switched the wires and tada! it worked. So for some reason you don't connect red to red as I would have expected.

So connect speaker red to titan blue, and speaker black to titan red. Who knows why, but it works like a charm..

Internet forums saved me $50! Thanks!

ant.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi All,

I just wanted to say thanks for the info! I replaced my speaker and all is well. A few things though just in case others are having issues, etc.

Model 273-075
6-28 VDC Piezo Buzzer
Cost around $7.50

It is loud enough be be heard over the radio for sure, may be a bit too loud, but I'll see how it goes....

Now about the wiring. this model comes with 3 colored leads. Red, Blue and Black.

I originally connected red to red, and black to blue. This DID NOT work.. So I switched the wires and tada! it worked. So for some reason you don't connect red to red as I would have expected.

So connect speaker red to titan blue, and speaker black to titan red. Who knows why, but it works like a charm..

ant.
Yep. Mine went out and I pulled the codes and it was the buzzer also.

I just installed the same buzzer, but red to red and nissan blue to buzzer black works, but it's not that loud, but it works. I may try to re-do it as stated and see if it improves the volume.

Also, since I couldn't re-screw, I had to zip-tie it so it didn't rattle around loose underneath.

As others have said, this is stupid simple and took a matter of 10 min to do.

--KC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys,

I tried using the fix with the $5 radioshack and was not impressed. Too quiet for me and also gave off a quiet high-pitched frequency at all times regardless of being in reverse or not. The dealership wanted $120 for a replacement! I did a little research and played around with a few different buzzers and even small speakers. I found a great buzzer over at Pololu corporation (item number 1261; direct link: Pololu - 30mm Speaker: 100 Ohm, 0.15 W). $2 for the buzzer but $5 S/H! It works great though and almost matches the original buzzer both in volume and tone. It does require a little soldering work to connect wires to the terminals but I think the little extra effort was more than worth it. One draw back is that it doesn't fit in the original cradle but I secured mine down with tie-wraps. You don't see the speaker anyways and it works great!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys,

I tried using the fix with the $5 radioshack and was not impressed. Too quiet for me and also gave off a quiet high-pitched frequency at all times regardless of being in reverse or not. The dealership wanted $120 for a replacement! I did a little research and played around with a few different buzzers and even small speakers. I found a great buzzer over at Pololu corporation (item number 1261; direct link: Pololu - 30mm Speaker: 100 Ohm, 0.15 W). $2 for the buzzer but $5 S/H! It works great though and almost matches the original buzzer both in volume and tone. It does require a little soldering work to connect wires to the terminals but I think the little extra effort was more than worth it. One draw back is that it doesn't fit in the original cradle but I secured mine down with tie-wraps. You don't see the speaker anyways and it works great!
Thanks for the info brother! Yeah, my $5 fix is very very quiet, but I like it that way now that I'm used to turning down the radio when backing into tight spots (using the sonar). Maybe next time I'll try your buzzer idea. Although I've never soldered anything before. Nice post, great insight!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought two speakers from Radio Suck, the first I think was the one described in the posting, low volume with a constant humming even when nothing was blocking the sensors(got rid of that on with a quickness).

The second and the one I kept installed it almost too loud. I mounted it on the underside of where the stock one is so some of the tone would be muffled out inside the dash, and upside down! Now it is a 'tad' louder than what I remember my stock one being.

For anyone interested the specs of the on I installed are below, it was also a $5.49 speaker:

12VDC Piezo Siren (273-0079)

Loud 120dB output
6-14 VDC
150mA

102 dB min (I think mine is outputting max!)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks WiskiRedz.
My local dealer told me that i had a computer module go bad (Armada) and quoted me $750 to repair this. ( incompetent fools) I then found your step by step instructions. I bought the OEM buzzer from courtesyparts.com
------------------------------------------------------
1 x [25640C] BUZZER ASSY - Armada (TA60) 2004+ (25640-TA60001) = $47.85
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $47.85
United Parcel Service (UPS Ground): $11.08
Total: $58.93

Your 5.5mm socket is the key piece of advice here or you'll strip the bolt fast.!!

Took literally 2 minutes to pop the new one in and all is good now.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We'll I pretty much tried all the buzzers/speakers radioshack had and 273-075 seemed to be the best of them all. The volume was perfect. Ant's wiring instruction were right on. I was able to bolt mine on where the factory buzzer was located, but I bolted mine from underneath, upside down using only one of the screw holes and screws, do to the fact the new buzzer is taller and not as wide as the factory buzzer. This is the fix you're looking for, works great! This forum is awesome and thanks to whomever started this thread!

·
Registered
100 Posts
We'll I pretty much tried all the buzzers/speakers radioshack had and 273-075 seemed to be the best of them all. The volume was perfect. Ant's wiring instruction were right on. I was able to bolt mine on where the factory buzzer was located, but I bolted mine from underneath, upside down using only one of the screw holes and screws, do to the fact the new buzzer is taller and not as wide as the factory buzzer. This is the fix you're looking for, works great! This forum is awesome and thanks to whomever started this thread!
My sensor light was on and I couldnt pull a code and didnt have any sound so I said what the heck and give the Radio Shack buzzer a shot to see if that was problem solver - and BINGO worked like a charm. Took about 15 minutes and I actually felt like I accomplished something I would have never thought I could fix. Cost was $7.15. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All,

Model 273-075
6-28 VDC Piezo Buzzer
Cost around $7.50

ant.
Thanks to all of you who came up with this! I used the codes, went to Radio Shack and purchase the
Model 273-075
6-28 VDC Piezo Buzzer

You need the above model for the range of voltage as the 12VDC Piezo does buzz due to too much voltage running through it (I think).

I was able to make a modification and not have to cut the stock wires and still be able to bolt it in with one of the bolts.

Here's what I did:
1. After unplugging the Nissan buzzer, open up the container for the mini speaker and remove it from the container.
2. With a pair of wire snips, cut out a small pyramid-shaped piece of the speaker's outer ring so that the soldered plugs are contained and the two male plugs retain their shape and symmetry.
3. Prepare your red and black wires for soldering, heat up the old solder on the piece of speaker, and insert the black wire on one side and the red wire on the other. I added a bit of solder to make sure it was solidly mounted.
4. Once cooled, wrap the homemade plug in electrical tape.
5. Take the original Nissan mounting case, open the lid, and cut off the lid at the plastic hinge.
6. Place a large dab of silicone inside the base of original container.
7. Snip off the blue wire close to the base and snip off the mounting holes on the new buzzer, and firmly press the new buzzer onto the dab of silicone in the original base with the wires running out of the original plug channel. Let the silicone set.
8. Once the silicone glue is set, go to your truck and connect the homemade plug into the female receiver in your dash. Tape both pieces together.
9. Flip the buzzer upside down and use one of the mounting holes/bolts to firmly secure the buzzer into place. The new buzzer is too tall to fit under the dash cover. (You could cut out the plastic to the left of the buzzer so that both of the bolts could be used....the hole would be covered by the dash cover...but I felt the strength of the one bolt would suffice)
10. Test the system and then replace the cover and you're done for less than $10!!!
11. Give your Nissan dealer grief the next time you have to see him for asking $60 for a tiny $10 part.
12. Come back here and thank everyone who contributed to such a great and inexpensive fix!!!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts