Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 4x4 LE with big tow package , locker , pretty much loaded , part number on the rear end is 430017537B , it has 77k on it , and today , while turning to the right under no load , just merging into traffic i heard it klunk slightly , but didnt think much about it , kinda thought it was a old battery in the back moving around , went to work with no issues or other noises , sent one of our drivers on about a 150 mile round trip delivery in it , and he didnt mention any abnormal noises .
Got in the truck to come home this afternoon and upon pulling out of work it commenced to Klunk again , and then several more times after that , almost felt like a chain slipping on an old sprocket .... so is the same ol rear end failure , and do i have any other options if it is , obviously the deal will not warranty it with this many miles on the clock , i damn sure dont want to pay out 3200 bux for a fix , nor do i intend on going to a junk yard and buying a used one , that will eventually do the same thing ....... do i have anyother more reasonable options for repair? it has never leaked any oil , or made any whining noises ...... or can someone tell me that Nissan is magically offering a good will repair on these ?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
hmm sir I think your best bet is buying one on the junkyard or buying one off of limbo (hes in canada I think ?) just buy his and put it in yourself instead of changing the gears

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the detroit locker stop the problems? Is there any possibility that my locker is just bad , and i can replace mine with a true trac?

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Dookie said:
Does the detroit locker stop the problems? Is there any possibility that my locker is just bad , and i can replace mine with a true trac?
Once the gear break, it break alot of other stuffs in there. You would need to get your rear end fixed first. With the Trutrac you would not need to worry about failure. With the Truetrac you will loose your E-locker however.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
I think a trutrac only runs about 800 bucks installed from what I have read on this site.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Dookie said:
What the heck?
Basicly I said buy one from a junkyard, Or a member Named Limbo had one for sale... I think he lives in Canada.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Dookie said:
A member of the forum named Austin replaced his e-locker with a true trac. With the e-locker, IIRC there is an issue with one of the axle shafts being of a different length. (they have two different part numbers)

Austin resolved this somehow. At one point he posted something about extending the splines a bit with a dremel on one of the shafts, although I'm not sure if this was the final solution.

The true trac replaces the entire oem carrier, including the oem locker. However, you would need to reuse the original ring and pinion. If those are damaged, you would have a problem. You would also need to get carrier bearings for the truerac (about $35 or so). But yes, there is the possibility that you could just rebuild your present diff with a true trac, if the ring & pinion are undamaged and you find whatever Austin did to resolve the different length axle shaft issue (maybe he replaced one shaft??). If you search for posts by Austin you might turn something up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
killcatzforfun said:
Basicly I said buy one from a junkyard, Or a member Named Limbo had one for sale... I think he lives in Canada.

Sorry Killzcatz , but after your post , someone posted what seemed to be a hundred full page nudity pictures , but at least of some beutiful women , i was at work when i logged on and got this , so yeah it kinda startled me ....sorry , oh and its since been deleted...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Dookie said:
Sorry Killzcatz , but after your post , someone posted what seemed to be a hundred full page nudity pictures , but at least of some beutiful women , i was at work when i logged on and got this , so yeah it kinda startled me ....sorry , oh and its since been deleted...
Haha ok, I thought you did not understand my post lol...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts