Nissan Titan Forum banner

Recall Bulletin on ECM Relay

52K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Titanic1031 
#1 ·
Titan Recall Campaign Bulleting NTB10-137, Subject : Voluntary Recall Campaign (ECM Relay) came out December 2, 2010. The identification number assigned for the campaign is PC068. "This number must appear on all communictions and documentation of any nature dealing with this campaign." You should be able to get a copy from your local Nissan dealer. I've attached a copy of the notice that I was given. Sorry for the scribbles, but I think you can see get what information you need from it.

My experience on Thursday was I was towing a trailer when my 04 Titan with 104,000 trouble free miles quit on me at a stop light. I managed to get it restarted and then on the freeway it quit twice more. I managed to get it off of the freeway and called AAA. My towing was $304. Nissan repaired the problem in 15 or 20 minutes, at no cost to me, and gave me the number for the District to call for reimbursement for my towing. The District Rep assured me that the towing would be covered.

Hopefully we can spread the word about this recall, because apparently the dealers aren't contacting customers, only waiting until a vehicle comes in for service. This applies to vehicles purchased from dealers or from private parties. You don't have to be the original owner.

Stan

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Well some of us get lazy and don't visit this site as often as we should, so this caught me by surprise. And it's a good thing that Nissan recognizes their responsibility for fixing the problem (and even paying for my towing). And from what the technician told me yesterday they feel like it should be a one time fix. Since my first relay lasted 104,000 miles I don't expect to see a repeat of the problem.

I'm hoping that posting the information will help some owners, like me, who don't spend a lot of time here, but come here when they have a problem that they want to research.

#5 ·
Ok so the dealers are not "LAZY", Nissan corporate send out the notification letters in batches as the parts come availible. Also If you did visit the site a little more or did a search you would have found many threads on this including mine that anounced that the recall was no longer rumer & the dealers now had info from nissan on what to do.

#6 ·
i went to the dealership this afternoon and ask about the recall on the ecm relay, service guy told me to wait and i told him i cant because i have to go to work and ask him if i can buy a relay so i can install it my self and he said that there is a special tool to change the relay and said he can not sell the relay. but told him that all you have to do is pull the old one in install the new one but he said no. special tool has to be used.and told me that there are two or more ecm relay so he said i am talking about another relay. told him about this forum where i read how to swap relay and told me that the ecm relay has to be open in order to change it and special tool needs to be used. i dont get it, is there another ecm relay that he is talking about?

#9 ·
what about the special tool that the delearship talking about is it true? is it also true that there are more than one ecm relay? thats what the delearship told me. can i keep the old relay? thanks

#10 ·
Will changing the ECM erase the 2 degree advance or do anything noticable to the porformance?

#13 ·
so if i buy a new relay i can not put it my self? so i can not swap with the fog light relay? cause i will damage the ipdm? i thought its easy to swap relays as the forum says why now that there is special tool for removing relays this is bs to me and the delearship told me there are more than one ecm relays that i can not change it without destroying it. dealership really sucks

#14 ·
I'm sure you can replace the relay yourself without damaging anything. The dealer is going to replace a few hundred/thousand, and I can see why they have a tool for it with that many replacements to do.

Reactions: TitanBlue
#18 ·
so looking at the OP this includes all 04-06 titans? I havent had an issue yet, but if this applies to my 06 i would like to get it done. i just got the truck so i doubt i will get a notice from nissan to take it in, thats why i am asking here

#19 ·
Your Titan is covered, so just call your local Nissan dealer and get it taken care of.

Reactions: Anavrin351
#20 ·
I was told yesterday that no recall for ECU Relay is listed for my truck. I don't believe it, but something in the notice in the OP, indicates they are to verify coverage, apparently by VIN. So maybe a June 2006 build is not covered. I do have a later numbered model IPDM. It is at the dealer right now for Fuel Sender Recall. I wonder if they simply do not have updates on their system, but it is a national listing. I may ask again this afternoon. I already bought the new Relay as it is only $3. Only one variety is sold.

Their is only one ECU or ECM Relay, and it is easily done by hand. I do see where they would want to destroy the old relay so it is not reinstalled and have a claim made it hasn't been changed. It is their relay, once they replace it. The truck owner gives up ownership of exchanged/recalled items.

#21 ·
Been going crazy with this damn truck!!! Misses, wont go over 35mph, spitting and popping. UGH!!! I really need to log on this site more. Changed the MAF sensor like the criminals at the dealership told me 4 months ago, did the plugs like my bullydog said, and finally i get this 0630 code. Is it that $3.00 relay? If so, where the hell is it located?

#22 · (Edited)
The IPDM is located on the passenger side of the engine bay beneath the windshield in the far left corner of the engine bay as you stand in front facing the truck It is located inside a black plastic compartment and the plastic lid needs to be removed to access the IPDM.

Below is a photo of the IPDM with the faulty ECM relay encircled.

Edit: To add another perspective on the ECM relay location, go here: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...y-problems-symptoms-solution.html#post2201416

Attachments

#24 ·
Many people who replaced their IPDM were shipped a gray plastic unt instead of the earlier white plastic one like I posted. As I remember though the IPDM layout was the same but I didn't pay that much attention to it.

If your IPDM layout is different, it might be useful to get the Titan Service Manual for your particular year Titan that might identify the location of the ECM relay if it is mounted in a different position on the IPDM.

#28 ·
That might suggest that the IPDM layout is unchanged from 2004. Since you stated, "my fuse/relay panel is different," any model year changes should show any differences in the service manual for your Titan model year.

On the other hand, you've got a good resource at your fingertips for research and problem solving at a mere cost of twenty bucks, so I wouldn't classify the cost as a waste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.