Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The card just is plain: saying that my truck's VIN # came under a recall. Well....I heard a rule of thumb....if it ain't broken...don't fix it. But anyways, on the card, it specifically told me to go to the dealership where I bought the truck. Unfortunately, the dealership we got the truck at....is the worst place I ever been to. Its worse than a dentist office. At least at the dentist they say hi to you. At the dealership by my house...you can stand outside your truck for an hour before someone ask if you need help. Can you go to another dealership...or do you have to go to this sepcific one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AgTitan06 said:
You can go to any dealership.

Is this the wiring harness recall?
Whats wrong with the wiring harness? Not sure...its just says there is a recall and the dealership will fix it for free...I hope.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,004 Posts
You can take it to ANY dealership, it doesn't matter. I, for example, moved recently. They can't expect a person to drive 500 miles to the dealer that they originally purchased it. If your dealer is as bad as you describe, I strongly suggest finding another one.

Also, you say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well, if it's a recall, it's being recalled for a GOOD reason. If it's not broken, it's about to be. Take it in and get it fixed. Don't be stubborn. This wiring harness recall seems like a pretty important one based on what I've read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
54warrior said:
You can take it to ANY dealership, it doesn't matter. I, for example, moved recently. They can't expect a person to drive 500 miles to the dealer that they originally purchased it. If your dealer is as bad as you describe, I strongly suggest finding another one.

Also, you say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well, if it's a recall, it's being recalled for a GOOD reason. If it's not broken, it's about to be. Take it in and get it fixed. Don't be stubborn. This wiring harness recall seems like a pretty important one based on what I've read.
Exact adivce I needed. I'll go in sometime tomorrow. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,921 Posts
I have not got the recall notice yet but my VIN number falls in line with the recall or at least the way I read it it does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,557 Posts
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
The card just is plain: saying that my truck's VIN # came under a recall. Well....I heard a rule of thumb....if it ain't broken...don't fix it. But anyways, on the card, it specifically told me to go to the dealership where I bought the truck. Unfortunately, the dealership we got the truck at....is the worst place I ever been to. Its worse than a dentist office. At least at the dentist they say hi to you. At the dealership by my house...you can stand outside your truck for an hour before someone ask if you need help. Can you go to another dealership...or do you have to go to this sepcific one?

Something doesn't sound legit to me. I've never heard of a recall letter that wasn't exactly specific about what the recall is for and exactly how to have it remedied. You say it just says there's a recall and to take it to the dealer yet tells you nothing else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
I'd take it in. you never know, they may find something else that needs fixing.
a month ago i took mine in for the harness, and while i was there i told them to change the oil.....(to make a long story short, they discovered that the previous oil change i did at Expressway, well they stripped the oil bolt and ended up costing me $636!)......anywaz, it got fixed, but its still in the hassle stage w Expressway/Valvoline.

so yeah, go to a dealer and have em fix it.... :)
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
32,925 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Something doesn't sound legit to me. I've never heard of a recall letter that wasn't exactly specific about what the recall is for and exactly how to have it remedied. You say it just says there's a recall and to take it to the dealer yet tells you nothing else?

I think mine didnt have any info on it, just said to take to dealer. ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Something doesn't sound legit to me. I've never heard of a recall letter that wasn't exactly specific about what the recall is for and exactly how to have it remedied. You say it just says there's a recall and to take it to the dealer yet tells you nothing else?
I agree. My recall letter for the wiring harness is from Nissan North America and has headings for 1) Reason for Recall, 2) What Nissan Will Do and 3) What you Should Do. It also has a postage paid card to send back if your name/address has changed of if you no longer own the vehicle. The letter is a trifold and has the VIN number right above my address. My guess is that the selling dealer scans their data base for VINs that meet recall criteria and sends a generic letter hoping the customer will bring it to them. Not a bad business practice. He will probably get the true recall letter at some point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope....I looked at the card to find out what the recall was but there was nothing on there. All it said was my vin # fell into a recall category and to bring my truck in to get it fixed at where I bought it....but I hate the dealership where I bought my truck. Only reason I got it there is because it was the best price out of 5 Nissan dealerships.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,557 Posts
Oh I believe you....it's just not the norm. By law, I'm being told, recall notices have to spell out, in detail, what the problem is and how to have it fixed. Maybe this "recall" letter was sent out by your dealer and not Nissan?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
I did my recall Monday. It was free. When they were done (it took about three hours) they told me they took care of another recall on my truck.
One was door harness the other was BCM sub harness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jabez said:
I did my recall Monday. It was free. When they were done (it took about three hours) they told me they took care of another recall on my truck.
One was door harness the other was BCM sub harness.
Whats a BCM harness?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,370 Posts
Body Control Module. It is the computer that controls your lights, mirrors, etc. IIRC, some early models had a change made related to trailer tow wiring fuses. It may have been this.

I recently took a 96 Jeep Cherokee in for a new recall, and they replaced the front rotors that were recalled 7 years ago. We had already replaced the rotors by the time that notice was received,, so just ignored it. The local Jeep dealer in Annapolis is outstanding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
The card just is plain: saying that my truck's VIN # came under a recall. Well....I heard a rule of thumb....if it ain't broken...don't fix it. But anyways, on the card, it specifically told me to go to the dealership where I bought the truck. Unfortunately, the dealership we got the truck at....is the worst place I ever been to. Its worse than a dentist office. At least at the dentist they say hi to you. At the dealership by my house...you can stand outside your truck for an hour before someone ask if you need help. Can you go to another dealership...or do you have to go to this sepcific one?


Go to any dealership. I don't think I have every gone back for service at a dealership where I bought my vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
933 Posts
I got something like this a while ago, and asked about it here. It was not a recall from Nissan, but a cleverly worded letter from the dealer trying to get my truck in there for anything they felt it needed.

A real recall letter will spell out specifically what work needs to be done.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top