Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm getting closer to getting all of my components for my modest install. I'm now at the point when I have to make the decision on what components to get for the front stage. T22a80, aka mini-whore, hooked me up with a good contact for CDT comps, and I'm leaning that way.... however, before I pull the trigger I want to make sure I'm not overlooking some decent components in the $300 or less range.

This is what the system should look like when its done:

HU: JVC AVX800 Double Din DVD (on its way) + Terk XM unit
Amps: Rockford P3001 (Sub Amp) Already Have
Rockford P5002 (Front Stage) 125X2 @ 4 ohm Stereo (already have)
Sub: Memphis MC 10 in a Single Driver Side Tech12volt box (already have)

I have a set of CDT CL61a's that I was going to use for rear fill, and either run off the head unit, or run off an old Precision Power 275 that I have used in my previous truck.... or just ditch the rear fill idea all together

I will be getting Rammatt and ensolite to do the whole truck as well.

With all that said, if you could only spend $300 or less on comps, what would you get?

Thanks in advance guys for your help,
Chad
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
use rear fill and wire it mono and turn it way down. atleast 4 to 6 db from the front
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tech12volt said:
use rear fill and wire it mono and turn it way down. atleast 4 to 6 db from the front
Good idea... I'm assuming I could wire the rear fill in series in order to get an 8 ohm mono load?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,808 Posts
James,

How would you wire that mono?
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
t22a80 said:
James,

How would you wire that mono?
I would do a mixed mono 8 ohm load off of the front amp and us an L pad to controll the output level.
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
My vote is 4 channel stereo with comps front and rear, but that is just me. Though rear speakers and tweets can always be run mono.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys I still haven't bought any yet...Been busy with some work stuff...

Anyone have suggestions on which comps to get for $300 or less?
A couple of thoughts:

DLS UP6's
Rainbow SLC 265's
CDT EF-61 CFI's

Am I missing some other good choices?

Thanks,
Chad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
XterraChad said:
Guys I still haven't bought any yet...Been busy with some work stuff...

Anyone have suggestions on which comps to get for $300 or less?
A couple of thoughts:

DLS UP6's
Rainbow SLC 265's
CDT EF-61 CFI's

Am I missing some other good choices?

Thanks,
Chad
Just curious, how much were looking at in regards to the CDT EF61Cfs? I have a set (NIB) that were sent off to CDT to be Braxial mounted with 480 crossovers. PM if interested, I might even be willing to part with some ambient tweets (NIB as well) to throw in as well. PM me.

I'm always up to help out a potential Titan system.
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
Tx_flip said:
Just curious, how much were looking at in regards to the CDT EF61Cfs? I have a set (NIB) that were sent off to CDT to be Braxial mounted with 480 crossovers. PM if interested, I might even be willing to part with some ambient tweets (NIB as well) to throw in as well. PM me.

I'm always up to help out a potential Titan system.
yes he is good to his word as well. sold me some titan parts cheap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I just installed some Rainbow SLC 265's and they are awesome. I got them for around $230 shipped. Tight clean mid bass, tweets are a little bright but aren't they all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,994 Posts
I haven't heard any of the rainbow low end stuff yet, but I would bet if its rainbow its probably good.

The Edi set is supposed to be pretty good for the $260 they want for it, but I think its just a CDT set rebadged (ED likes to borrow designs), The diamond D6 line is fantastic for the $150 your going to spend on it, but for $300 I think your looking at the right stuff, Rainbow, Focal, CDT, etc.

Have you thought of SEAS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,808 Posts
Its funny you mentioned the ED stuff compared to the CDT models. I asked Ken at CDT about that and he said they are in fact different but its somewhat curious why they look so similar! So I asked him if they were built in the same place and he said no. It sounds like they copied the CDT stuff. (but I dont know that for a fact)

The CDT's are nice especially in a braxial mount because you dont have to mount the tweeters separate. Then when you add the ambient set you get the best on axis sound but its still above the dash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
I'm a big fan of ED (edesignaudio.com) stuff, but I'm not going to sit here and defend them either. As far as I understand it however, they created all their own individual tooling to create their products, and they make it all in-house. I've spent a fair amount of time researching them, and I don't particularly get the impression they copied anyone. Like I said though, that's just me, and its ultimately up to the end user to do their own homework.

I have MB Quarts in the front of my vehicle and while they sound very loud and very clean, although I'm not particularly impressed with their midbass ability.

If I were in the market to do my front stage over again, I'd probably get the eDi 6500 set, their top of the line product, but it is $325. They do make a very decent eDi 600 set for $135 which isn't bad, but probably isn't comparable to other sets in the closer-to-$300 range.

So that's my rambling:

Short answer: I like ED stuff.
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
I have heard a lot of people complain about MB Quart highs and lack of mid bass. I have used MB Quarts many times. The MB Quarts I used in Striders truck have plenty of mid bass. They actually sound like a sub is present on their own. I am sure he will vouch for this. MB Quart has a line for just about every listener and I highly recommend them. Tough to beat for the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The search is over.... Tx_Flip gave me a really good deal on what I think will be a great sounding setup.....

- CDT ES620 mids and ES-100 tweets
- 1 set of the TW-19T tweets w/ LP-1 controller
- 2 Satnet 560 xovers

Can't wait to get them, although its going to be a few weeks from now until I install everything, gotta pickup the sound deadener and the wiring....

I'm sure I'm going to be back with everyone on the install, I'll try and take pics of the whole ordeal....

Thanks everyone for the suggestions....
Chad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
P-Dizzle said:
I have heard a lot of people complain about MB Quart highs and lack of mid bass. I have used MB Quarts many times. The MB Quarts I used in Striders truck have plenty of mid bass. They actually sound like a sub is present on their own. I am sure he will vouch for this. MB Quart has a line for just about every listener and I highly recommend them. Tough to beat for the price.
You know what though? Now that I think back to my install, I didn't fabricate any kind of sealed enclosure for them, and I bet that's why.

XterraChad said:
The search is over.... Tx_Flip gave me a really good deal on what I think will be a great sounding setup.....
Chad
Glad you're all set. Let us know how it sounds.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top