Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a remote starter for my 2013.
Anyone here have a 2013 with an aftermarket remote starter? What brand did you go with? Pros/cons?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have an Automate AM6.2 it was on my truck a 2012 CC 4x4 SL SB when I bought it used two years ago. Never had a problem with it except severely cold nights make it hard to start. Happens about 2-3 times in winter months I live in eastern PA. I have heard others talk about remote starts having trouble in severe cold which is really the reason you buy it. Not sure why I will look around internet I think I did a search on it when I had the issue . I still swear by it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Happens about 2-3 times in winter months I live in eastern PA.
I live in central VT. when its around -15F overnight the remote start doesn't turn it over on the first shot, but usually by the third shot when the lights have been on for 5 seconds and the battery is a tiny bit warmer it starts. On those nights i've learned to unlock the doors first so that some of the lights turn on before I hit the remote starter...solves the issue.

I am rather sure that if I was to try to start it in the same conditions, but only turn the key to start for less then one second and back, it probably wouldn't turn over then either...I don't blame the remote start for that.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Some people claim the key used for programming the unit should be kept in the freezer overnight some how that simulates the low battery or something to that affect on a cold morning making the unit l arm to crank harder or maybe longer to get it to turn over on a cold morning

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the code alarm from accessorides. Have had it for a couple years on my 2016 Frontier, then currently on my 2012 Titan. Very Pleased.

·
Premium Member
7,312 Posts
Considering a remote starter for my 2013.
Anyone here have a 2013 with an aftermarket remote starter? What brand did you go with? Pros/cons?

I’ve since traded it in on an XD, but I installed one on my 2012 SV CC LWB. I installed a Directed/DEI SmartStart using their DB2AllPro and their GSM/LTE cellular radio. I chose it because it didn’t require me to sacrifice any keys, worked via an app on mine & my wife’s phones, tracked the vehicles position via GPS, and offered some nice remote features as well. It took me about a month to find all of the schematics and diagrams, and then about two days to actually install it. I completely removed the dash off of the truck, and wired it up to the ignition and CAN-bus behind the dash. This also allowed me to install the cellular radio portion just under the top cowl for the gauges. Clear view of the GPS satellites, and no cellular signal attenuation because of the dash. It allowed me to swap out cellular radios as Directed released new ones, for greater range/reception.

Some additional features/benefits: I could pull/clear any engine/body codes right from my phone app.

I could set both speed and geo-fences for the GPS. Like if my truck was in for service, or if I loaned it out, or valet’d the truck, or left it at the airport.

I could start/stop/lock/unlock my truck from anywhere on the planet. Say if my wife locked her keys in it while driving it, she or I could lock and unlock it with either of our phone apps.

I purposely didn’t install the siren, as any alarm would alert on our cell phones like an Amber Alert does, loud and unmistakable. I also didn’t want to annoy my neighbors because of any false alarms.

You can program it to start automatically on a schedule (say it’s at the airport) like once a week to run for 20 minutes to top off the battery. Or based on any temperature that you set, or to start whenever the trucks voltage drops below your set point (like 12.2VDC).

As long as you left the AC or heat/ front defrost on when you shut the truck off, it would come on with the remote start.

The “unlimited” range of the cellular portion was nice for getting it started and climate controlled before the credits rolled in a movie, or while we were at a baseball game, etc. Most fobs don’t have that kind of range, and not all of them have two-communication.

I intentionally did not bridge the secondary lock/unlock wire between the brain and my truck’s lock/unlock circuit, so that if I locked the doors with the app, the app and only the app would “unlock” the starter disable. This was because I often intentionally locked my keys inside my console vault, like on date, where I was dressed up, didn’t want keys in my slacks/etc. If I locked the truck with the app, only the app would “unlock” the starter. Someone couldn’t force their way into the truck + vault, and then use my key to steal the truck.

All in all, it’s a very well thought out system. But it was quite the mental challenge to wire up all of the circuits required. I’m going to put the same system in my wife’s Armada, but I’ll pay someone to do it this time.

The cellular/GPS tracking is subscription based. I used this system from 2014-2019 without issue. The DB2AllPro has since been superseded, but I’m sure the new one is just as good as the old one.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I’ve since traded it in on an XD, but I installed one on my 2012 SV CC LWB. I installed a Directed/DEI SmartStart using their DB2AllPro and their GSM/LTE cellular radio. I chose it because it didn’t require me to sacrifice any keys, worked via an app on mine & my wife’s phones, tracked the vehicles position via GPS, and offered some nice remote features as well. It took me about a month to find all of the schematics and diagrams, and then about two days to actually install it. I completely removed the dash off of the truck, and wired it up to the ignition and CAN-bus behind the dash. This also allowed me to install the cellular radio portion just under the top cowl for the gauges. Clear view of the GPS satellites, and no cellular signal attenuation because of the dash. It allowed me to swap out cellular radios as Directed released new ones, for greater range/reception.

Some additional features/benefits: I could pull/clear any engine/body codes right from my phone app.

I could set both speed and geo-fences for the GPS. Like if my truck was in for service, or if I loaned it out, or valet’d the truck, or left it at the airport.

I could start/stop/lock/unlock my truck from anywhere on the planet. Say if my wife locked her keys in it while driving it, she or I could lock and unlock it with either of our phone apps.

I purposely didn’t install the siren, as any alarm would alert on our cell phones like an Amber Alert does, loud and unmistakable. I also didn’t want to annoy my neighbors because of any false alarms.

You can program it to start automatically on a schedule (say it’s at the airport) like once a week to run for 20 minutes to top off the battery. Or based on any temperature that you set, or to start whenever the trucks voltage drops below your set point (like 12.2VDC).

As long as you left the AC or heat/ front defrost on when you shut the truck off, it would come on with the remote start.

The “unlimited” range of the cellular portion was nice for getting it started and climate controlled before the credits rolled in a movie, or while we were at a baseball game, etc. Most fobs don’t have that kind of range, and not all of them have two-communication.

I intentionally did not bridge the secondary lock/unlock wire between the brain and my truck’s lock/unlock circuit, so that if I locked the doors with the app, the app and only the app would “unlock” the starter disable. This was because I often intentionally locked my keys inside my console vault, like on date, where I was dressed up, didn’t want keys in my slacks/etc. If I locked the truck with the app, only the app would “unlock” the starter. Someone couldn’t force their way into the truck + vault, and then use my key to steal the truck.

All in all, it’s a very well thought out system. But it was quite the mental challenge to wire up all of the circuits required. I’m going to put the same system in my wife’s Armada, but I’ll pay someone to do it this time.

The cellular/GPS tracking is subscription based. I used this system from 2014-2019 without issue. The DB2AllPro has since been superseded, but I’m sure the new one is just as good as the old one.
Holy crap when someone asks for a remote that just starts the truck this is the long answer by far lol. That’s an insane system sounds great. Are you concerned that even a tech won’t install it correctly sounds like a ton of chances to wire something wrong. I bet you really want to do it yourself

·
Premium Member
7,312 Posts
I just try and be through in my responses.

I did elect to install the first one myself. My next one I’ll pay to have done. There are/were a bunch of wires, and the first one seems pretty daunting at first.

The biggest issue with doing it yourself, is finding the wiring diagrams. They aren’t public knowledge, and can be a challenge to track down. Newer cars would be exceedingly difficult to do. But the Titans has been out, and mostly unchanged, for a decade before I attempted it. It’s just tedious, easier to pay a couple hundred to have it professionally installed, and warranted. Shrug.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hmmmmm.... I just got the wife her remote start installed last friday... pretty painless and took less than 2.5 hours.... she got a clifford with all the bells and whistles.. even has a nifty LCD remote that tells her the truck is running.. caught it on sale from the shop... $475 installed and out the door... she loves it... especially on days like this.. was about 20 degrees outside.. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts