Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a reason why the cannot or rather should not be done?

I want a softer ride. The way I see it is if I were to remove all preload out of my c/os and add a PRG 1.5inch billet spacer I'd have the lift I need and a softer ride.

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking, by placing a spacer and removing the preload, the piston in the c/o would be higher in the cylinder making for more droop travel which is what I need.

Any ideas? I know there's someone that knows all this crap inside and out. Please chime in, I'd like to change things up soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've always wondered about this as well... I'd love to hear someone chime in

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always wondered about this as well... I'd love to hear someone chime in
Dude, for real, I feel like a 4 year old. I've been told no without a reason as to why? :confused:I might just throw down the cash on the PRG 1.5s and try it out to find out. I remember asking Greg but got no reason why there was a problem. I can see some jacka$$ wanting more lift out of the PRG extended travel kit trying in vain to do so but that's not the reason for my interest in the matter.

Anyone?:eyebrow:

BTW anyone with some 1.5 inch PRG leveling spacer for sale, I want them. Thanks

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
At one point Greg was machining a spacer for just such a purpose. Although I believe it was not even an inch tall.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just get longer springs, possibly even a slightly lower rate. When you compress the springs by adding preload you are in effect changing the spring rate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
u can see greg about machine a custom spacer for an 1" the spacer goes on top of the coilover. i had asked him about the spacer lift before but he stated no but didnt give a reason. the mounting the spacer might change when you have aftermarket coilovers on.(just my guess)

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
isnt this similar to flipping the hat, and adjusting them way down? People do add spacers on top of c/o's for more lift on lift kits, so I dont see why you cant do so for a smoother ride.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just get longer springs, possibly even a slightly lower rate. When you compress the springs by adding preload you are in effect changing the spring rate.
Great point. I'd think about new springs if that was my only option, however, as you stated the 1.5 inches of preload I have is changing the spring rate so I'm thinking about substituting the preload with a spacer. It's a cheaper fix.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
isnt this similar to flipping the hat, and adjusting them way down? People do add spacers on top of c/o's for more lift on lift kits, so I dont see why you cant do so for a smoother ride.
That's exactly what I thought, in fact, that's where I got the idea (not saying I came up with it) but it made me think, "Why wouldn't this same application work for me?"

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At one point Greg was machining a spacer for just such a purpose. Although I believe it was not even an inch tall.
Yeah, the top "hat" of the Radflos is a ~1 inch or so billet aluminum piece that already that sits underneath the coil bucket. A larger one would be better because the new spacer would be one piece.. Addding a 1.5 inch 08-11 leveling spacer wouldn't be optimal because you're adding sections which may weaken the assembly as a whole.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Pretty sure you can only flip the hats on the Icons...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yeah, I think you're right. I think I going to give it a try.

Anyone else have any answers?
buy my 6 inch lifted shocks and mod those :thumbsup:

Sorry, I'm not too keen in this area, but i agree with the spring rate being different for what you might be thinking. Hope you find out a new way to make your setup work.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
buy my 6 inch lifted shocks and mod those :thumbsup:

Sorry, I'm not too keen in this area, but i agree with the spring rate being different for what you might be thinking. Hope you find out a new way to make your setup work.
I'm not looking for more lift just want to smooth the ride out even more by removing preload. But thanks for the offer.

Anyone? Daily:bump::bump:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm not looking for more lift just want to smooth the ride out even more by removing preload. But thanks for the offer.

Anyone? Daily:bump::bump:
I just installed the Radflo 2.5's with the PRG upper control arm. I think by adding a spacer your still going to add preload to that spring. I have a PRG spacer, and I was damn tempted to try it, but Greg told me it wouldn't be advisable.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I went through some old emails and found one from Greg suggesting that the spacers he was machining (for stacking on coilovers) measured .850" in height.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just installed the Radflo 2.5's with the PRG upper control arm. I think by adding a spacer your still going to add preload to that spring. I have a PRG spacer, and I was damn tempted to try it, but Greg told me it wouldn't be advisable.
I guess that's my point? Not advisable, why not. I don't understand why that would add preload. Can anyone elaborate? Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went through some old emails and found one from Greg suggesting that the spacers he was machining (for stacking on coilovers) measured .850" in height.
That's interesting...I'd love to get my hands on a pair of those. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I guess that's my point? Not advisable, why not. I don't understand why that would add preload. Can anyone elaborate? Thanks
It adds preload b/c when you add the spacer, it makes the whole coilover assembly longer than what can fit between the upper and lower control arm at its full extension, so you have to compress the spring a bit to get it to fit.

This is what happened with my stock spring and Bilstein 5100 setup with the spacer on top, and it made the ride very rough.

Now I suppose you could back the Radflo spring all the way off, then add the spacer on top, might work out to being the same preload, but with more height.

I can see why you would want to try it. If I thought Greg would answer the phone I would definitely call and ask him about this.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I flipped the hat on my saws, super easy and I left about half an inch of preload on. That with the spindles and I'm at about 7.5" of lift.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts