Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a replacement bigtown mirror for the drivers side of my Nissan 2004 LE.

How much trouble will it be to replace? Are there any instructions out there or does some come with it?

Thanks

John

2004 LE NAV big tow package

·
Registered
520 Posts
They are so easy, 3 torque screws and a plug... 5 minuets and you will be done. maybe less.

FYI - Make sure you hold the mirror while removing the last screw or it will fall off and dent your door :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I assume your mirror was broken somehow and needed to be replaced -

as the previous poster mentioned, you will need to remove the "torx" screws on the plate visible when you open your door.

But also in order to remove & replace the power cord coming from the mirror, you will need to remove your door panel. There are good instructions available if you search, but from memory: pry out with a soft tool the arm "grab" rectangular piece - unscrew visable screws, then pry out little square piece between arm grab & arm rest, remove screw, then pull out arm
rest with some force, remove screws, remove door panel clip by clip, then unplug cord by window controls, reattach new mirrror w/ cable by some route (down down down then right as facing driver door from the front) ... test your window up/down before reattaching vinyl door panel.

You'll get it - it's not that difficult - just be careful of your soft vinyl if you care about appearances!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was afraid of that it might not be that easy. I broke the lower mirror by being careless exiting a parking garage. The lower mirror somehow got caught on the ibeam support post and popped out breaking the plastic that connected it to the interior. Wierd huh? But the mirror can extend out where it is vunerable.

I have had buy far more accidents like this with the Titan than any other vehicle I have owned or perhaps I am getting more "senor moments" these daya.

Thanks guys.

John

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know how many wires in involved but it seems to me that cutting and crimping the cables might be easier and faster then taking apart the door panel?

Any comments?

John

·
Premium Member
59,072 Posts
johnszcz said:
I dont know how many wires in involved but it seems to me that cutting and crimping the cables might be easier and faster then taking apart the door panel?

Any comments?

John
I agree. I'd much rather deal with a few wires than pull the door panel. I always seem to break some of the fasteners.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's up to you...certainly it removes the chance of marring the vinyl in the door panel with the various bits you have to pry up. If you feel more comfortable getting solid connections via crimping then go for it. Make sure to wrap the outer insulation with electrical tape of course when you're done.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am considering moving to conventional mirrors as I probably will never do any major towing. I think there are several links on here by people who have done this conversion.

John

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Seranin said:
It's up to you...certainly it removes the chance of marring the vinyl in the door panel with the various bits you have to pry up. If you feel more comfortable getting solid connections via crimping then go for it. Make sure to wrap the outer insulation with electrical tape of course when you're done.
Here is a little trick I use for crimped connections exposed to the elements, or in areas where condensation can occur. I fill the barrel ends of the connectors with dielectric grease before crimping to help avoid corrosion. Then wipe down excess and finish off with heat shrink tubing. Then finally seal the ends of the tubing with silicone adhesive. I do not like to use those crimp on splices as the internal wires do corrode over time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.